Talk

Advanced search

Ian McKellan on the Today prog

(8 Posts)
ChampiontheWonderHamster Thu 08-Feb-18 09:18:04

Did anyone hear the interview this morning? The part where he said, when he visits schools talking about LGBT rights and acceptance, he sees that the future is fluid, teenagers and young adults don’t want labels.

I laughed so much I nearly crashed the car - where does he think the ever growing alphabet soup came from? I’ve never seen a group of people more keen on applying labels to everything since my family bought its first Dymo machine!

Cistersaredoingitforthemselves Thu 08-Feb-18 10:41:26

@ChampiontheWonderHamster I agree - labeling seems to be the be all and end all.

But on a lighter note - I got one of those labellers for Christmas, fucking love it!

Myunicornfliessideways Thu 08-Feb-18 10:57:45

Unless he's saying that the real actual people he meets don't want the labels (which would imply it's coming from political lobbyists instead) - which is much what is said here, often. The massive majority of LGBT MNetters don't buy into this crap, don't want it, don't need it and are fed up with it being imposed by a shouty political minority.

Lots of time for IM, he came to my uni back in the dark ages when he wasn't nearly so well known, and spent an evening talking to the very small, shy LGB group as it was then. I was about 19, petrified to let anyone know I was gay and only came to the group under deep cover, and he was lovely. Very kind.

SomeDyke Thu 08-Feb-18 10:57:54

"teenagers and young adults don’t want labels. "
No, Sir Ian, they just don't want the old labels, like lesbian, gay man, male, female, but the vast array of shiny new labels with extra glitter. The expansion of the former LGB to the whole fucking alphabet shows that -- what used to be valued was bringing things together -- like realising that gay men and lesbians had some common ground, despite our differences. The new values are having so many labels that eventually everyone is unique.

BTW the one time I met Sir Ian at a lesbian and gay centre, he didn't seem to know what a pool table was (where else do you think the butch dykes were hanging out!). He did send nice flowers every year on the founding anniversary though............I'm a bit sad he has drunk of the poisoned well, and is spouting all the usual nonsense.

OvaHere Thu 08-Feb-18 10:58:40

He might want to have a read of this

edition.cnn.com/2018/02/06/health/teens-gender-nonconforming-study-trnd/index.html

AngryAttackKittens Thu 08-Feb-18 11:01:24

Clearly he's never seen a "queer" kid's Tumblr bio.

nauticant Thu 08-Feb-18 11:29:47

I had a go at making the most label-ridden definition of a typical practical clothes wearing heterosexual woman with a partner and came up with:

demisexual androsexual heteroromantic genderqueer non-binary demigirl

There aren't enough labels, it needs more. Any suggestions?

cromeyellow0 Thu 08-Feb-18 12:14:34

Here are all the labels (flags) drawn by a 13-year-old child, on the wall of a classroom in Canada. From Lily Maynard.

Note the leather (S&M) flag along with polyamory. Note also the weird bifurcation of lesbians into lipstick and butch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now