Talk

Advanced search

R4 Moral Maze - Objectification of Women

(17 Posts)
jellyfrizz Thu 08-Feb-18 09:12:17

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09qfv9b

Anyone else shouting at the radio to this one?

CecilyNeville Thu 08-Feb-18 12:01:30

I have got as far as the intro - who wrote this shit?!

He's saying the removal of the Hylas and the Nymphs painting in Manchester was due to "feminists susceptibility ... or new puritanism", and "getting their knickers in a twist" and who then lost after an outcry, hence the painting's reinstatement.

It was always only a temporary removal, to provoke conversation. This has been completely misrepresented!

CapnHaddock Thu 08-Feb-18 12:05:27

I don't listen to the Moral Maze any more. Bad for my blood pressure

CapnHaddock Thu 08-Feb-18 12:05:59

I don't listen to the Moral Maze any more. Bad for my blood pressure

CecilyNeville Thu 08-Feb-18 12:13:19

The woman who strips has no coherent argument. They were being pretty kind to her, but she was hopeless.

nauticant Thu 08-Feb-18 12:14:38

CecilyNeville, even after hearing that intro I foolishly listened to the whole thing.

If you continue listening, you'll hear from this charmer:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Hakim
who is a favourite of the Daily Mail for writing articles about how it's wrong for women to starve their husbands of sex.

UpstartCrow Thu 08-Feb-18 12:15:47

Why are they claiming that the grid girls were victims of feminism? Or that feminism wanted to hide a painting for moral reasons?

BeHappyMummy Thu 08-Feb-18 12:22:04

The stripper was hopeless and completely contradicts herself no?

I didnt listen to all of it. Very infuriating listen.

BeHappyMummy Thu 08-Feb-18 12:23:28

She'd also like to see men being objectified?

In what way is ok to objectify anyone?

JuliannaBixby Thu 08-Feb-18 12:26:53

Her argument just fell to bits under scrutiny really, didn't it

TeaCoffeeCakeGinWine Thu 08-Feb-18 12:31:59

Glad someone has started this thread! Had to turn it over after the third woman (social scientist?).. it was all so shrill and aggressive. I thought it was odd how the women seemed to be all for the objectification and the men were the voices against? But the very way women were being discussed like this felt patronising and actually objectifying, like we are a thing that needs to be discussed! I felt baffled by the whole thing.

TeaCoffeeCakeGinWine Thu 08-Feb-18 12:32:32

Hope that makes sense.. I really struggled to articulate my thoughts about it

BeHappyMummy Thu 08-Feb-18 12:35:46

Let me bring up that when people say it's ok to view people as attractive and beautiful that it's usually only european women who fallbin to this category.

Women from other ethnicities, aren't considered beautiful. Beauty is culturally led

BeHappyMummy Thu 08-Feb-18 12:36:37

That "social scientist" also got on my nerves too.

CecilyNeville Thu 08-Feb-18 12:54:20

It's reassuring that Giles Fraser and Matthew Taylor were left baffled and spluttering at the end of it all.

Melanie Phillips and Claire Fox seems to entirely reject that 'choices' are not necessarily made freely, but within the context of society. I stand by the notion that if an action is 'empowering', men would be doing it; if men aren't 'choosing' to do it, ask yourself why.

After all that, I feel the need to listen to something about farming...

BLW Bridget Christie's new show was on R4 yesterday evening, worth a catch up listen.

jellyfrizz Thu 08-Feb-18 14:12:56

Let me bring up that when people say it's ok to view people as attractive and beautiful that it's usually only european women who fallbin to this category.

Yes, by parading typically light-skinned, large breasted, short-skirted, long haired, slim, able-bodied, regular-featured, young women it is re-inforcing that idea.

FlorenceLyons Thu 08-Feb-18 17:48:48

I made the mistake of listening to this in the car this morning. Not good for my driving! I thought the whole programme spectacularly missed the point, and left me feeling profoundly depressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now