Talk

Advanced search

Womens March think Greer is 'problematic'

(20 Posts)
CallMeAstroTerf Thu 08-Feb-18 09:09:50

Womens March have today posted a link to a Guardian piece where some feminist-type public women pick a female writer that has influenced them.

"This is great. Not saying we concur with every choice as one chosen by a couple of the women is problematic. What are your choices? "
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/feb/03/the-political-books-by-women-that-inspired-me-100-years-of-revolution?CMP=ShareAndroidAppp_Addtoo_Pocket

The only book chosen by more than one woman is The Female Eunuch! And we all know how the TRAs feel about Germaine angry
Cant help feeling like this was a deliberately provocative post by Womens March....

AngryAttackKittens Thu 08-Feb-18 09:13:49

Women's March think anything that involves a woman not being a complete doormat is problematic, as far as I can tell.

GoodyMog Thu 08-Feb-18 09:14:31

I think they are problematic. And tedious.

AngryAttackKittens Thu 08-Feb-18 09:17:06

It's such a weasel word, problematic. If you have an issue with a person's behavior/work then say why using actual sentences.

seafoodeatit Thu 08-Feb-18 09:22:16

I expect nothing less from 'womens' march. I don't think they know what women means so whatever they say is just hot air of the media attention seeking variety.

dangermouseisace Thu 08-Feb-18 09:52:50

The Female Eunuch changed my life. The women's march can go fuck themselves.

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Thu 08-Feb-18 09:55:33

Women's March (organisers not marchers) are turning into an anti-feminist, pro-misogyny propaganda machine

OvaHere Thu 08-Feb-18 10:02:41

It's so disappointing what is happening to the Women's March. We can literally have nothing without it centring men's feelings.

It's beyond me why some women cannot see that inviting men to join feminism will destroy it from the inside out. Men have had a millennia of practice at divide, conquer and pillage tactics.

newtlover Thu 08-Feb-18 10:06:05

like she'll care grin

CecilyNeville Thu 08-Feb-18 10:16:22

The Women's March as an organisation is 'difficult' (is that better than problematic?), but it's so hard to explain the politics of it to people in real life - people just see it as "it's a movement for women - why wouldn't you want to support that?" pretty much in the same way they see Mermaids as, "it's giving support to gender non-conforming children - why wouldn't you want to support that". People often aren't interested in the details.

The organiser of the WM came on here in 2017 to garner enthusiasm, she said it was to celebrate all the gorgeousness of women worldwide. I knew then it wasn't a movement for me.

What's annoying is that this particular group just happened to be fastest out of the gate! Someone else taking on 'Women's March' as a name and idea could have made it into something else entirely. Same with WEP. You live and learn...

AngryAttackKittens Thu 08-Feb-18 10:40:16

The organiser of the WM came on here in 2017 to garner enthusiasm, she said it was to celebrate all the gorgeousness of women worldwide.

hmm

The Women's March, brought to you by Smashbox!

MyTerfNeedsRolling Thu 08-Feb-18 11:23:06

Agreed Cecily. And I think it's indicative of today's society - the short attention spans which necessitate gifs, soundbites, endless advert breaks followed by a recap of the programme so far, world news condensed into one sentence on a 'news roundup' so you don't have to waste time on a newspaper, Sky/Fox etc news editors putting their own quick spin on everything, and so on. People see a headline or a tagline and think they know everything. And the msm totally milk that. How many times have you read an inflammatory headline and gone on to read the article only to find out that the headline was just a form of 'clickbait'? I have had conversations with intelligent, educated women who quote stuff at me and then have no evidence to back it up. "I read it in the paper" now means "I saw a headline as I walked past"

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Thu 08-Feb-18 15:57:55

WM is ridiculous recently, have they always been like this? The ramming the boot into Rose McGowan whilst siding with a paedophile was a huge eye opener for me. Though I can't say I have ever taken that much notice of them before, so maybe they have always been TRAs?

UpstartCrow Thu 08-Feb-18 16:01:28

The Womens March side with abusive men. They have sold their credibility for a trademark. Corporate fauxmenism at its finest.

www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/who-owns-the-womens-march-w515597

SvartePetter Thu 08-Feb-18 16:03:39

After Rosie McGowan gate, I find the women's march quite problematic.

Surfandterf Thu 08-Feb-18 21:23:12

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole they have, their spokesman on here and their facebook page shortly afterwards talking about so called inclusivity made it clear that they're all about appearances and diddly squat about women.

marillacuthbert2018 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:30:40

Women's March. Cherno Biko (rapist) Janet Mock (TIM who describes underage prostitution as a rite of passage, Linda Sarsour (advocate of sharia law). Yeah they can go fuck themselves, I'm with Germaine and that book that changed my life when I was 17.

Lostinedinburgh Fri 09-Feb-18 12:00:18

I read The Female Eunuch when it was first published and it was a beacon of light shining on my experience of being a woman. Greer is my hero.

thornyhousewife Fri 09-Feb-18 12:08:50

Yeah the Women's March is a joke. I wouldn't touch anything associated with Sarsour.

theaveragewife Fri 09-Feb-18 13:54:49

Greer gives no fucks. Her books are excellent, and she says what she thinks.

TRAs, women's march, media appear to want to create a hive mind, the world can be more easily controlled that way. Women who have dissenting opinions are berated. The only way to stop this is by giving as little fucks as GG, to be problematic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now