Talk

Advanced search

Help! Transgender talk at school

(21 Posts)
ThisShitJustGotReal Wed 07-Feb-18 23:28:31

Namechange. This shit just got real for me today. My child came home from school and said that a woman who looked like a man really except she was dressed like a woman gave them an LGBT talk today.

From what I can gather it actually sounds like a down the rabbit hole transgender talk, no LGB. Discussion of how being trans isn't a mental illness, something about puberty blockers, and how there is only one decent clinic for treating children which is in London with waiting lists the speaker thought were too long.

I've got to write to the school haven't I?

I've put together a short letter expressing brief general concerns. Should I be brave and say I want to meet with someone in person to discuss? If I just write a massive long letter it might just be dismissed with a placatory reply that deals with none of my points.

I'll request details of any written material which was provided, if there was any.

I want to add a link to a sane website so it doesn't look like it's just me going off on one about this.

I'm thinking Transgender Trend. Would that be a good one? Is it UK based? Any other suggestions welcome.

Fuck. I can't believe I'm having to do this. Oh and I did sit my child down and leave them in no doubt as to my opinion about all this and why. Trying to vaccinate them immediately after exposure as it were. I am furious I have had to talk about such shit with them though.

Why didn't the school just invite along a flat earther and a creationist while they were at it? angry

UpstartCrow Wed 07-Feb-18 23:32:02

Careful how you word your letter. Puberty blockers cause the child to be sterile as an adult, and its acceptable to be concerned about sterilising gay and non gender conforming children as it's homophobic.

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 07-Feb-18 23:33:01

I don't understand the need for detail about puberty blockers and which treatment centres exist. Surely the kind of talk for a school should be about tolerance, acceptance of people who are different, why sex-based stereotypes are harmful and so on.

CanIBuffalo Wed 07-Feb-18 23:33:08

I would be beyond furious if my child had any kind of talk about relationships/sex etc without being informed first. Ditto politics. It smacks of indoctrination.

ThisShitJustGotReal Wed 07-Feb-18 23:35:55

Thank you crow, that's a good specific point to put in, especially because I don't want their first thought to be that I am homophobic when I'm anything but.

UpstartCrow Wed 07-Feb-18 23:38:31

I''d be fuming if I were you. As AssassinatedBeauty said, teaching tolerance of differences is one thing, offering sterilisation is a different thing altogether.

ButteredScone Wed 07-Feb-18 23:38:42

Was there any warning about this talk? I would be asking why not.

RaininSummer Wed 07-Feb-18 23:40:14

That sounds terrible and I would also be furious. A general broad reaching talk about tolerance is fine but not a confusing bit of trans propaganda.

ThisShitJustGotReal Wed 07-Feb-18 23:40:28

I don't understand either Assassinated which is why I am very, very wary of it. I think it was the transcult in action. I am going to find out if I can what organisation the speaker came from.

Yup I am livid CanI although now you mention it I am remembering that I signed some vaguely worded form about PSHE sex and relationships education a while back. I didn't know it was going to include this though.

ThisShitJustGotReal Wed 07-Feb-18 23:44:23

Is Transgender Trend a sensible website to link to, does anyone think?

niceandtoasty Wed 07-Feb-18 23:44:28

In answer to your earlier question, yes transgendertrend are a UK organisation and I think they would be a good one to link to.

ThisShitJustGotReal Wed 07-Feb-18 23:47:55

Thanks. I want to get this right.

rowdywoman1 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:48:50

OP,
There was a thread last week about schools - hold on - I'll look for it.
And yes to transgendertrend - they have a schools section which is just being updated

CecilyNeville Wed 07-Feb-18 23:49:43

What age is your child, if you don't mind me asking? I have been getting concerned about when to expect this stuff, and how to pre-empt it.

cromeyellow0 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:50:12

Stephanie Davies Arai at Transgendertrend is very knowledgeable and balanced. However, the website will be denounced as hate speech by your visitor.

Could it be a good idea to first write a neutral letter asking for more information--who gave the talk, from what organization, what's the written material?

Then with more information you could strategize about how best to respond.

rowdywoman1 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:53:20

Here you are OP

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3154752-Trans-extremism-schools

And yes, Crome is right about asking for more information.

NoqontroI Wed 07-Feb-18 23:53:57

I would be very pissed off with that.

NoqontroI Wed 07-Feb-18 23:55:06

How old is your DC? I've signed something similar recently.

TerfyMcTerface Wed 07-Feb-18 23:57:32

People need to be writing to their MPs about this shit. What the actual fuck is going on in our society when we are sterilising kids? Bringing people into schools to advocate sterilisation? It's eugenics at work.

rowdywoman1 Thu 08-Feb-18 00:00:49

The key issue is that there is nothing wrong with someone talking about trans bullying in context.
There is everything wrong in pressure groups seeking to change school's systems (changing rooms, toilets etc), language, beliefs etc. There is everything wrong if they misrepresent suicide statistics etc.This is covered in the thread linked above . Schools have a legal duty to be politically neutral and generally trans pressure groups are NOT neutral - they are seeking to change society and using schools to achieve this.

Schools are breaking the law if they allow pressure groups access to children to spread propaganda - as opposed to talking about strategies to combat bullying. Hence the importance of knowing what they are saying.

ThisShitJustGotReal Thu 08-Feb-18 00:01:31

Child is Year 8.

So maybe I shouldn't add a website link at this point.

Thanks for the thread link rowdy. Off to read.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: