Advanced search

Just leaving this here ...

(19 Posts)
Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 13:07:59

- excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance.

- extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.

-self-centredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 13:09:00

And this:

'Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which there is a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings. People affected by it often spend a lot of time thinking about achieving power or success, or about their appearance. They often take advantage of the people around them. The behavior typically begins by early adulthood, and occurs across a variety of situations.

Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 13:10:02

'Transnarc' is a term that needs coining

Collidascope Wed 07-Feb-18 13:13:59

RatRolyPoly Wed 07-Feb-18 13:16:28

Here's a little bit more info on narcissism and the use of the term.

PerfPower Wed 07-Feb-18 13:18:00

He he, took me a moment to get that Collidascope smile

Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 13:21:46

I like this bit best, RatRolyPoly:

Narcissism is not the problem; the abuse is. Whether alcoholism, chronic pain, loneliness, or severe narcissism causes the abuse is not our immediate concern. Some lines should not be crossed no matter what drives people over them. Our priority is protecting ourselves.

Cooroo Wed 07-Feb-18 13:21:59

As Rat's link suggests, narcissism is a spectrum. But I think a lot of TRAs are on it!

RatRolyPoly Wed 07-Feb-18 13:25:04

Well exactly Mumsnet, so to me that means you address the reality of the behaviour rather than seeking to typify the person. But that's just my reading of it.

Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 13:29:48

You don't think an understanding of the behaviour is important, Rat?

hipsterfun Wed 07-Feb-18 13:29:58

Excellent, Collida!

Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 13:56:34

Yes Cooroo - the twitter warriors.

Geronimoleapinglizards Wed 07-Feb-18 14:01:16

I was hugely struck by the narcissism of Andi Dier on their twitter page when ai looked at it after the Rose McGowan stuff kicked off. This was a person who'd stood up and heckled a rape victim and their whole twitter feed was

RatRolyPoly Wed 07-Feb-18 14:02:08

I think it's a bit of a sticky subject Mum - if one focuses too heavily on the reasons for the behaviour it can look like one is trying to make a bogeyman of a whole group of people. You won't change the people behind it either way, so in my view best focus on addressing their impact.

UpstartCrow Wed 07-Feb-18 14:04:20

If you cant name the problem you cant identify it or tackle it. Or warn other people about it or describe what happened to you.

Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 14:05:31

That's kind of why it struck me, Rat. Enables me in my own mind to put a bit of clear blue water between the average trans person just quietly getting on with life, and the Andi Dyers of this world.

RatRolyPoly Wed 07-Feb-18 14:09:13

Gotcha Mum, although I'll be honest there are "Andi"s in every camp!

Mumsnut Wed 07-Feb-18 14:24:22

Particularly in the political ones.

RatRolyPoly Wed 07-Feb-18 14:43:26

Politics appeals to the self-important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now