Talk

Advanced search

Old School Campaigning Tactics?

(21 Posts)
fascinated Wed 07-Feb-18 00:55:51

What about just printing off a v simple A5 leaflet with a call to arms and a website for further info?

eg

What's all this Transgender stuff? How will it affect me?

- They are trying to change the law

- If they succeed, any man will be able to "self-identify" as a trans woman

- This would mean any man - even one with working tackle - no surgery or hormones needed (really - 80% of trans males keep their bits) will be able to access female-only spaces. WHY? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TELL A REAL TRANS WOMAN FROM A PREDATOR BY LOOKING AT HIM

Seriously. It's true. We are not joking.
WE WOMEN NEED TO DEFEND OURSELVES AND OUR GIRLS

[add in links to eg FACTSHEET/WOMEN's PLACE/Mumsnet Feminism]

I am thinking just print out hard copies and scatter EVERYWHERE - toilets, changing rooms, uni libraries, school playgrounds, toddler groups....Guerilla tactics. Posters on lamposts by night.

Forget Twitter. Let's get back to basics.

thebewilderness Wed 07-Feb-18 02:33:50

If you read about the kerfluffle at the Anarchist Book Fair that is what the women did. Passed out leaflets. They were assaulted and threatened, then the trans advocates spread fake flyers all over social media to demonize the women.
Good idea! Women are doing it. More women need to do it.

stoneagefertilitydoll Wed 07-Feb-18 06:45:05

The Untameable Shrews produce stickers and stuff like that - an international radical feminist street art movement (from Melbourne).

OvaHere Wed 07-Feb-18 09:52:45

I wonder if this could be suggested to WPUK if they haven't already thought about it. They could have a downloadable PDF on the website of a flyer that community groups or individuals could hand out.

I do think it's a good idea OP but I'm a bit wary of people going off at all angles making their own because it's quite a complex issue and it would be very easy to be accused of hate crime if the language used isn't clear.

The WPUK campaign is specifically pro women rather than anti trans and I think that's important to cut through all the bullshit.

Blutacismynemesis Wed 07-Feb-18 10:17:19

Yes, agreed Ova that anything like this needs to be done with great caution to avoid an own goal.

Apparently someone did put leaflets out somewhere (London I think? Might have been in toilets and similar but I can't remember the details, will link if I find it again) which covered some of the points and referred people to A Woman's Place.... but apparently they were not directly linked to or approved by them, and there was a lot of fuss made on Twitter and accusing them of transphobia etc etc because of the leaflet content (I think they were actually pretty factual as far as I can remember, but still!), and Woman's Place had to state that the leaflets were not connected to them. So if done it needs to be with caution, to avoid just causing them more grief and confusing the message.

This is happening. I have a friend who gives out hundreds of GIRES factsheets. She's amazing. I think if we do this it has to be sensitive and we have to think about how things look to someone 'neutral' so GIRES evidence-based stuff is good.

My friend stands up on the tube or her train and says what she thinks and gives out leaflets. It's such a good idea. She gets hugs and positive comments.

Justabunchofcunts Wed 07-Feb-18 10:21:01

Yes good idea and agree with doing it in a concerted positive way, through WPUK sounds sensible.

Jog22 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:24:49

I was thinking this. I've seen a few around like this:
sages.org.uk/

But it needs some cutting down to make it snappier.

BeeInMyBonnet1985 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:57:26

I love these ideas. At the moment, my practical activism consists solely of emailing my useless MP and very obviously refusing to use female pronouns for any transwomen that I interact with at work. I love the idea of writing the Woman's Place web address on stickers and then putting them in women's toilets though...its small, but it might nudge some people towards GC content.

Datun Wed 07-Feb-18 12:18:51

A (surreptitious) leaflet campaign does sound like good idea. But I know there are objections to it.

The fact is, word needs to be spread. I get torn between being quite militant about this, and sticking to a process characterised by impeccable credibility.

I'm not sure GIRES is the best source, though.

They lost credibility when, among other things, they claimed transitioning cures autism.

Anecdotally, young people who have been successfully treated, are often described as having no residual ASD [Autism Spectrum Disorder]. The symptoms have disappeared once the dysphoria has been treated.

Gendertrender analysed exactly what they were saying here.

gendertrender.wordpress.com/?s=GIRES&submit=Search

Justabunchofcunts Wed 07-Feb-18 12:26:53

Also see and post here for an altogether list of campaigning and awareness raising tactics: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/2995738-Gender-ID-bill-Gender-Critical-To-Do-List

Datun Wed 07-Feb-18 14:20:42

Also, there is something we can do right now.

Several women's groups are organising talks across the country. One of which is A Woman's Place.
The next one is in London this month.

The venue will be confirmed nearer the time to give objectors less time to get it cancelled.

It's easy to imagine your single presence won't make a difference. But it will.

The only way this is working is because word-of-mouth is spreading, one person at a time.

Having heaps of women turning up these meetings will get noticed. The press, often cover them.

Every single person a difference.

Here is link to the meeting in London if you are able to get there.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3160410-Womans-Place-UK-meeting-in-London-27-Feb

Melamin Wed 07-Feb-18 14:54:15

I think this issue needs to feed its way into the public domain via people who know what they are doing and have public confidence, and people need to see their MPs understanding. I will keep supporting people like WPUK and Fair play for women.

Datun, thanks for that re: gires - it's actually the SAGES factsheet my friend gives out - just checked that.

Have a bit of a sore spot regarding people claiming they can 'cure' autism - wtf?

My only defense is I have quite bad aphasia and a habit of substituting opposites eg hot/cold and oven/fridge.

Datun Wed 07-Feb-18 17:33:14

Datun, thanks for that re: gires - it's actually the SAGES factsheet my friend gives out - just checked that.

Ahhh. I was worried there for a minute. The last stuff we want disseminated is stuff from GIRES.

Honestly I do worry about myself. People who know me do a wee double-take and I replay what I've said until I work out where I went wrong. It might be because they both have 5 letters?
I'm a medical mystery.
A very dull and irritating one.

Friend was out today though and two young gay men were happy to hear from her. She, like me, has been involved in women's rights work for a long time so she's confident putting her point across.

thebewilderness Wed 07-Feb-18 21:46:31

It isn't a complex or complicated issue though. Not really.
Males are not capable of transmogrifying into females. Nor females into males. The government is passing laws and writing regulations that require belief in or accommodation of this false belief. I think that is illegal.

whitehandledkitchenknife Wed 07-Feb-18 22:01:49

I like the idea of stickers.

Perhaps with the feminist symbol and words along the lines of
'A Woman's Place is.... Everywhere'

........with the WPUK web address underneath?

thebewilderness Wed 07-Feb-18 22:33:40

www.etsy.com/au/listing/508934471/untameable-shrews-sticker-pack?ref=pr_shop

hipsterfun Wed 07-Feb-18 22:57:24

I’ve been thinking about a surreptitious leaflet campaign, too.

Knock us up a leaflet, Datun? grin

Or yeah, the SAGES one would do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now