Talk

Advanced search

any women's clubs in London?

(19 Posts)
Riverside2 Tue 06-Feb-18 16:17:55

Thinking of business type clubs that are affordable - like B-Hive used to be? Ideally a space where you can just hang out with your laptop - I don't mind a desk but I would prefer added sofa space!

Thanks.

HelenDenver Tue 06-Feb-18 17:56:16

This is new!

www.theallbright.com/

Riverside2 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:20:50

Thanks Helen
I will also look for cheaper options but will pop that on the list, they might do offers or something!

HairyBallTheorem Tue 06-Feb-18 18:54:23

I am now having a fantasy in which I have the sort of high-flying career and disposable income that would mean I could join such a place.

Riverside2 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:20:49

Hairy

I won't bore you with the details of my situation but it's extraordinary for me to even think about paying for something like this, but I might need to for six months or so

B hive, I was a member years ago, was much cheaper.

I also had free membership of another private club after doing some work for them, but they closed. Probably because they gave out membership too easily, lol. But you could sign in a guest so it looked fab for client meetings!

It doesn't have to be women only but I thought it would be nice.

HairyBallTheorem Tue 06-Feb-18 19:24:14

No judgement from me... And I can totally see that there would be situations where (networking, building business contacts, that sort of thing) it would be more of an investment than an indulgence.

(Actually I just checked out a club I would be eligible for - which is mixed, and I might opt for that one for the reading room grin ).

Riverside2 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:33:58

Actually you know what i will bore you with details because it's going to be a real issue in future

I'm employed as a contractor for a company who are moving and will do hotdesking for their own staff. Obviously I'm not entitled to a desk, but the fact that regular staff are going to have to battle for desks is insane, I really hate the way work culture is going.

I can work from home but I'm supposed to be moving areas and was going to stay on my sister's couch between buying and selling, so I can't work from there. But I won't have a mortgage payment in that time so could join a nice club and work there.

Maybe I should have just asked about nice clubs! But I'd still want to get a less expensive place and ideally pay monthly.

Riverside2 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:36:28

X post Hairy
I can guess, but if I'm there a long day I would like more than just a desk.

I've looked at cubicles in serviced offices etc but if a club like this costs similar, it's probably nicer.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 06-Feb-18 19:37:52

Is it normal in your industry for contractors not to have a desk and not to work in the same office as permanent staff?

Riverside2 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:46:22

Assassinated, I think it depends on the company and what you negotiate but I wanted mostly home working. I love working at home, it's just there might be this period of time where I need a work space.

If I was a permanent employee in a place that made staff do this stupid battling for desks, I'd be furious.

Callamia Tue 06-Feb-18 19:49:02

The day I get a major promotion, I’m totally joining this.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 06-Feb-18 19:51:02

Ah ok, I didn't realise they were expecting you to work from home! That makes more sense smile

The town I live in has a coworking office where you can rent a desk for whatever period of time suits. Maybe there are women only versions of those?

Pootlebug Tue 06-Feb-18 19:51:52

No idea at all about clubs!
Tate membership and work in their members room? It's quiet, has food and drink available, and you could wander round and look at art for a break. Usually people on laptops hanging around.
Or check out places like We Work

PaperdollCartoon Tue 06-Feb-18 19:56:46

Riverside2 I’ve just left one of those hotdeskig companies and I can testify that it was a bloody nightmare. I worked between two offices and home, always on the move. Now I have my whole own desk and the drawer is already full of snacks.

I’m quite keen on joining a club for networking purposes, The AllBright looks very interesting but would love other suggestions as well.

Have you considered a group work space like WeWork
www.wework.com
Not a club but I’ve been in the Waterhouse Square one and it’s lovely, really funky, lots of sofas and little work areas and free prosecco some nights!

FinallyHere Tue 06-Feb-18 20:02:36

Not sure how it would work for you, but i am in touch with some people who use the members gallery in the south bank centre, very convenient to meet with people coming up to London into Waterloo. Oh, and great views

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/support/membership

noraclavicle Tue 06-Feb-18 20:26:12

Well there is the University Women’s Club if that remotely fits the bill?

HairyBallTheorem Tue 06-Feb-18 20:52:26

Oh, that looks my sort of place Nova.

(Starts to carefully weave fantasy... I will of course have "out of town" membership. DS goes to do something suitably fulfilling - scout camp, outdoorsy weekend. I get train to London. Room in my private club. Splendid breakfast. Art galleries. An hour or so relaxing in the library, a pleasant early supper, a concert, back to my room, little bit of a lie in, more breakfast, train home!)

noraclavicle Tue 06-Feb-18 22:16:07

One day it shall be mine, HairyBallTheorem grin Might I suggest you add a little visit to Persephone Books to your itinerary while you’re up in town?

Riverside2 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:51:07

thanks everyone

the WeWork thing is really expensive and needs advance planning, but I've contacted the University Club as it looks quite handy.

there also seems to be a garden but it's only got pics of brides!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: