(49 Posts)
NotALabourMemberImAfraidLads Fri 02-Feb-18 23:14:44

www.eventbrite.com/e/transgenderism-and-the-war-on-women-tickets-42789335053

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Sat 03-Feb-18 00:20:25

I can go. Bump though.

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Sat 03-Feb-18 00:20:37

Can't dammit.

Patodp Sat 03-Feb-18 07:54:07

So glad these women are sticking to their guns and not hiding from the intimidation.

TimbuktuTimbuktu Sat 03-Feb-18 08:37:53

Oh I'm away sad

Lottapianos Sat 03-Feb-18 08:39:39

Oh this sounds great..I can't go sadly but please report back if you do

SweetGrapes Sat 03-Feb-18 10:02:14

Bought tickets. Should be able to go.

MacaroonMama Sat 03-Feb-18 12:03:20

I live in Lewisham!!! WOOP!!! I am going. Will get a ticket this afternoon.

hipsterfun Sat 03-Feb-18 12:56:30

I’m hesitating for a number of reasons (personal data, TRAs in attendance etc). It’s giving in to bullying though, isn’t it...

MacaroonMama Sat 03-Feb-18 13:07:35

hipsterfun. Would hope that after last time, the security would be in greater number? I don't know how these things work though.

Cwenthryth Sat 03-Feb-18 13:20:01

Thanks for sharing, have just bought a ticket and plan to go. Will have to request a shift off work but worth it.

qumquat Sat 03-Feb-18 14:40:14

I'm hesitating too after last time and the fact Lewisham seems to be a hotbed of TRAs. Is the organised by Venice Allen? I'd feel more secure if it were a Woman's Placement unfortunately.

hipsterfun Sat 03-Feb-18 14:53:08

Lewisham is a hotbed of TRAs? Is that so, and does anyone know why? Must be a recent development as it’s news to me!

qumquat Sat 03-Feb-18 14:59:43

It's probably just my paranoia, but I'd assume Goldsmiths had a lot of TRA supporters and a TRA conducive atmosphere. I know some local groups such as Sister Uncut and LGBT Lewisham were instrumental in stopping New Cross Learning from hosting the first meeting and forcing the meeting at Speaker's Corner. I am giving in to bullying though I know. I'll be going if I can get childcare.

hipsterfun Sat 03-Feb-18 15:16:01

It did cross my mind it could be silly fuckers from Goldsmiths. Poor Goldsmiths, it wasn’t always like that...

MacaroonMama Sat 03-Feb-18 16:19:00

Happy to meet a little bit earlier so we can have strength in numbers if anyone else wants?

Cwenthryth Sat 03-Feb-18 18:54:54

It is definitely a scary prospect, but I really do not want to buckle to TRAs intimidating me and allow them to silence women and stop us congregating peacefully.

Strength in numbers may be a plan, let’s see what the atmosphere is like nearer the time.

SwearyG Sat 03-Feb-18 20:13:08

I'll try to come along to this too. I recently peak transed and am feeling a bit powerless and lost. Supporting this feels like doing a something.

MistressDeeCee Sun 04-Feb-18 00:36:03

Im going. I wanted to know if this thread will be kept "live" as it were. I'm thinking of women who may want to go and have questions or are nervous about attending.

MacaroonMama Sun 04-Feb-18 01:10:34

If we keep checking and commenting, I think it will stay near the top of the board. Yes would be good to keep the conversation going until the event itself (and during?) xx

purpleanorak Sun 04-Feb-18 01:39:34

I can go, but is there anything in more central London soon?

purpleanorak Sun 04-Feb-18 01:42:25

If we are going, what is the best way to meet earlier somewhere? I am wary about posting details here but would like to meet up with people earlier. Shall I PM somebody?

Cwenthryth Sun 04-Feb-18 07:46:28

I say worry about details of meeting up nearer the time. Anything else is risky, unfortunately, I wouldn’t put it past some elements of trans-activism to attempt to infiltrate and harass us, or just try to derail, sadly.

If anyone wants to attend, to meet other women (and non-womensmile, everyone is welcome!), to listen, learn and discuss the issues, please don’t let the threat of trans-activists protesting put you off. They have the right to protest, you have the right to engage or not as you wish. They do not have the right to threaten, intimidate or abuse, and I suggest if anyone is the target of such behaviour that we report through proper channels and stand in solidarity together to exercise our right to congregate.

I agree information about proposed security measures from the organisers would be useful. The engagement of qualified security staff would be appreciated.

SophoclesTheFox Sun 04-Feb-18 08:53:42

I will get my ticket later today. This will be my debut real-life in-person coming out as PERF and proud grin

SophoclesTheFox Sun 04-Feb-18 14:07:59

Ticket bought! V V excited about seeing Sheila Jeffreys & Julia Long.

Would love to meet up before/after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now