Talk

Advanced search

Lily Madigan has published an article.

(456 Posts)
UpstartCrow Thu 01-Feb-18 00:09:46

www.youngfabians.org.uk/transmisog

''100 years on since the first women got the vote, there are still inequalities in the feminist movement. Why are some feminists still failing transwomen?

The evidence is there if you look for it – Transphobic leaflets being given out in the safe zone at Labour annual conference; prominent party feminists suggesting violence against transwomen; someone being kicked out of a Labour Women’s Network party for harassing a teenage trans woman; fundraisers being started to try and legally challenge Labours trans-inclusive policies; transwomen being excluded from Labour run women’s events by a women’s officer. The list goes on.

Most state their actions aren’t transphobic at all, but they are merely seeking the protection of women’s spaces. Some go further, suggesting transwomen are men’s right activists working purposely to erode women’s hard won protects. They commonly misgender people like me as a means to belittle our experiences and score social media points. And so I think its fair we question how much authority they have as cis-women to decide whether they are being transphobic.''

It continues in this vein.

GrockleBocs Thu 01-Feb-18 00:15:27

Me, me, me, me, me.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 01-Feb-18 00:19:57

“They commonly misgender people like me”.

Well then you can fuck off with your “cisgender” bollocks, you hypocrite.

WillowWept Thu 01-Feb-18 00:23:42

Well on the plus side labour clearly don't value him enough to give him any assistance with his writing

VivienneEastwood Thu 01-Feb-18 00:25:24

biscuit

hipsterfun Thu 01-Feb-18 00:30:08

and seek to present me in an unfair light, often pushing lies as fact and allowing me no comment - the real no-platforming

Pushing lies as fact, you say? hmm

pitterpatterrain Thu 01-Feb-18 00:33:04

Cis-woman hmm

To a certain extent, I hope they grow up one day and look back at this with serious embarrassment - about how small their life experience is, that they appear to have no empathy or understanding about what it even means to be a woman in society or more broadly across the world

SuburbanRhonda Thu 01-Feb-18 00:33:26

I wonder how many other Labour Party Women’s Officers have talked about a whole group of women as “they”.

PositivelyPERF Thu 01-Feb-18 00:33:53

lies as fact and allowing me no comment - the real no-platforming oh do fuck off with your misogynistic, self gratifying bullshit.

hipsterfun Thu 01-Feb-18 00:40:46

Also, Lils, feminists haven’t got a phobia of trans-identified people - get over yourself.

GretchenFranklin Thu 01-Feb-18 00:52:32

He has literally no idea what life as a woman actually is. Not. A. Clue.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 01-Feb-18 01:04:19

You when you’re in year 9 and your English teacher splits the class in two and gives you a debate topic? That’s what this reads like. It’s like Lily was handed a topic last week due in today and they only started it last night so googled “transphobia” and fired a load of key phrases into word before going back on snap chat to see what Georgia said about that girl from then othe school in town who was texting her boyfriend.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 01-Feb-18 01:05:31

I did actually pass GCSE English, contrary to what my spelling actually suggests blush

RebeccaWrongDaily Thu 01-Feb-18 01:06:07

oh grow up and fuck off. (LM, not you OP)

cromeyellow0 Thu 01-Feb-18 02:05:51

Feminism: failing transwomen since 1918!

It's embarrassingly bad, no regular man or woman would be invited to publish this drivel on the website.

(At a glance at the previous blog post, you can see that it's intelligent and interesting:
www.youngfabians.org.uk/labour_s_relationship_with_towns)

He seems to have mesmerised them all.

slightlybefuddledlibrarian Thu 01-Feb-18 02:57:46

Jeez. Can one of our under 31 labour supporters please dash off an intelligent response to this garbage? I’m too old for this shit. It’s embarrassing.

AngryAttackKittens Thu 01-Feb-18 03:55:41

Behold, Liam, this tiny violin that plays just for you.

I hope whichever party members decided that feeding this tedious adolescent's narcissism was a good idea are punished by being stuck in a lift with him for hours.

Collidascope Thu 01-Feb-18 04:04:53

Oops, Lily. Pretty sure that calling trans identified males 'transwomen' as opposed to 'trans women' makes you transphobic...
Also, learn to use apostrophes.

Collidascope Thu 01-Feb-18 04:09:37

Oh and the whole "they debate our right to exist?" No! They debate the validity of your views and your right to inflict your views on everyone else. I don't hold any religious beliefs thus I don't believe Jews are "the chosen people" or that Christians will go to heaven. That doesn't mean I don't believe Jews or Christians exist... They don't vanish in a puff of smoke because I don't agree with them on something 🙄

ChattyLion Thu 01-Feb-18 05:01:43

List tweets a awful lot for someone with no right of reply. But about that,Is this not the same Lily who was invited on radio 4 world at 1 this week, then refused to debate with Linda Bellos?

So here’s a link to the BSA survey which asked:

LefkosiaTigers Thu 01-Feb-18 05:20:35

This all reads as "feminists are meanies, but anyway, PAY ME MORE ATTENTION!

cista Thu 01-Feb-18 05:28:05

He is his own parody. I feel slightly bad for him as the mistakes he's making now are going to haunt him for life...

Traffig Thu 01-Feb-18 05:39:35

I only got up early because I was having a hot flush, and now I've got steam coming out of my ears.angry

What the fecking feck shitting shit? Why is this Madigan character allowed to write such piss poor below standard bollocks?

(I don't do many commas at 5.30 a.m.)

12stars Thu 01-Feb-18 05:40:48

prominent party feminists suggesting violence against transwomen
This is really interesting. I heard the radio interview mentioned a couple of postS ago where LM wouldn't debate with LB. The reason given was that LB had threatened violence. LB said the violence comment was about how she would use violence in self defence and was deliberately and disingenuously taken out of context by LM and presented as a threat to all trans women.

ChattyLion Thu 01-Feb-18 06:02:14

Whoops I meant ‘Lily’ not ‘List’ in my post above.

The link to British social attitudes survey referred in the blog is here: www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/media/39147/bsa34_moral_issues_final.pdf
See p.14. It is an interesting read.

The survey commentary implies prejudice = women being uncomfortable to have transwomen in female toilets. So it’s not a nuanced analysis, nor were the BSA survey questions. They asked women:

’Please think about a transgender woman - that is a man who has gone through all or part of a process to become a woman. How comfortable or uncomfortable would you be for a transgender woman to use female public toilets?’
grin just a few assumptions in that question.

The survey also didn’t ask about what self identification as a legal right would make very easy in terms of men accessing women’s private spaces.

I can imagine a greater proportion of ‘prejudice’ hmm would come out if women had been asked how comfortable they were with the prospect of womens’ public or school toilets/changing rooms/prison cells/wherever being open to eg ’men who identified as women with no other process involved.’

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now