Talk

Advanced search

Feel I'm treated as if I am incapable by men in the workplace when pregnant

(6 Posts)
suziesheepish Wed 24-Jan-18 07:10:47

This has happened twice now. Different men. Suddenly treated as if I am not one of the team, incapable of 'big' jobs, not taken seriously when I have a problem, treated as over-emotional, Having to prove my capability more.
Any insight?
Is there something in this?
Maybe I am over-emotional in the workplace when pregnant?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 24-Jan-18 09:28:16

If your instinct is that it's them not you, it is probably them.
Sorry to be gloomy, but do watch your back.

suziesheepish Wed 24-Jan-18 11:58:30

It is such a sad state of affairs.
During my MW appointment, she asked about domestic violence in the home. She explained that domestic violence becones much more prevalent among pregnant women, due to their vulnerability. This led me to thinking that perhaps there is also something in this in regards to treatment in the workplace by other men. I'm struggling to find much on the subject but thought someone else may be able to shed some light.

suziesheepish Wed 24-Jan-18 12:02:14

"More than 30% of domestic abuse starts in pregnancy"
Would it be naive to assume that the mistreatment of women in the workplace begins largely during pregnancy also?

pastabest Wed 24-Jan-18 12:27:20

I answered on your last thread

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/3148329-Issues-at-work-arising-in-pregnancy?msgid=75061716

It's not something I have experienced with either of my male managers during pregnancies who have been entirely supportive and if anything have gone out of their way to ensure I have been supported without me having to ask.

That's not to say that people don't get treated badly at work once they announce their pregnancy because lots and lots of people do and the employment matters threads are full of examples, but there as many examples of being treated badly by female managers as there are of male managers. I think if you are starting from the perspective that men are out to get you/abuse you when you are pregnant that there is a chance that your male managers are possibly picking up on that. What you see as being undermined is possibly them trying to ensure you aren't being overworked. Have you discussed it with them?

You probably aren't getting many responses because your posts read like someone fishing for other's experiences rather than you particularly identifying specific examples where you may have been treated unfairly.

There were particular things/projects that came up at work that I didn't get involved with because I/they knew I wasn't going to be there to see them through. It made sense to me rather that me seeing it as a snub. There was plenty for me to be getting on with otherwise.

suziesheepish Wed 24-Jan-18 20:11:55

Good for you that you had a positive experience pastabest 👍

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now