Talk

Advanced search

When did Eddie Izzard become such a huge knob head?

(335 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 09:04:33

FFS I used to love Eddie - saw him live loads in the 90s, was heartened by him cracking Hollywood as a gender critical British man, cheered him thru his marathons. Just heard him on the Today show talking about his political ambitions and saying he 'came out as transgender 30 years ago' - did he? I missed that - I thought he was an Action Transvestite.

Am I just in a sleep deprived foul mood and projecting or has Eddie turned into a massive knob head?

Branleuse Tue 16-Jan-18 09:06:10

i agree with you. He used to be ok, but i havent liked him since he said that he confronted a group of young teenage girls who were upset that he was in the ladies loo and was all proud of himself

k2p2k2tog Tue 16-Jan-18 09:08:46

Totally agree - he used to be all "I'm a man who wears nail varnish and make-up, so what?" which was great. But now he's gone down the whole "ladybrain" route.

Depressing.

HemlockSpartacus Tue 16-Jan-18 09:10:07

I miss his "bloke in a dress" days, when he was making it clear that it was ok to be a man who liked makeup and pretty clothes. His "They’re not women’s clothes. They’re my clothes. I bought them” days.

Shame that he'd now rather reinforce gender stereotypes with his "girl DNA" bullshit instead.

LangCleg Tue 16-Jan-18 09:11:16

He's turned into a massive knobhead.

What's actually happened is that aggressive transactivism has enabled him to redefine his AGP from "expanding manhood" which has gone out of fashion, to "brave transfemme smashing barriers" which is in fashion, earns thousands in royalties and opens doors to political careers.

Still the same old AGP though.

nauticant Tue 16-Jan-18 09:11:36

Saw him once in the 90s when he was a new thing. Entertaining enough.

Heard him this morning on Today on Radio 4. What an arse.

The trajectory is clear. There'll be more being an arse from Eddie Izzard as time goes on.

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 09:12:18

He's always been a self confessed attention seeking narcissist so this must be the next step along that road. Sad because he's a smart man and was very very funny, just then he sounded utterly pathetic - rating and raving. Grrrrr

Fekko Tue 16-Jan-18 09:12:29

Why is he now transgender rather than transvestive? Is that it fashionable now (no comment on his dress sense!).

Where does Grayson Perry stand on this (although i suspect Claire is performance art)?

MorrisZapp Tue 16-Jan-18 09:13:48

What a tragedy. Bright, beautiful talent turned to misogynist shit. RIP funny Eddie. Fuck off transgender Eddie.

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 09:14:51

I bet he reads this because he is just exactly the kind of narcissistic middle aged man that will spend hours googling himself.

Come on Eddie - go for a run, or tell some jokes or something - you don't need to be upsetting children in a public loo. That makes you a bully.

Jigglytuff Tue 16-Jan-18 09:15:14

I think he's always been a knobhead. He certainly was one when he belittled the teenage girls who chased him out of the women's toilets at Highbury Corner and that was years' ago. He has reframed the incident in his autobiography as an example of the hate and fear that transwomen suffer, rather than the valid protection of a women only space it actually was. He's a creep.

nauticant Tue 16-Jan-18 09:17:12

Like many celebrities he's become more of a narcissist as time has gone on. The game is now always for people to "LOOK AT ME!"

He's spotted that if he reinvents himself as "modern transgender" rather than "stale tranny" he can make a more youth-directed pitch.

I blame the marathons. He seemed to be much less of an arse before he started doing those.

ShowOfHands Tue 16-Jan-18 09:17:16

It's so disappointing. I've had a lot of admiration for him over the years and seen him live a few times. His recent stance on gender issues is so misguided and misogynistic, I almost feel let down.

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 09:17:32

Fekko - from what I have read Grayson says he is a man wearing a dress and that he gets a kick out of it because it is 'naughty' - I'll find the article.

A friend who worked with him on an exhibition said that his transvestite persona is purely for the publicity it gains him for his sales/art - I dont know if that is true but she works at the British Museum and said he is very talented and interesting and she never saw him dressed a 'girl'? (what does he dress as - no one I ever met dresses like that - it seems more like kids dressing up really)

Hardwickwhite Tue 16-Jan-18 09:17:52

I think Grayson Perry is sticking with the “I’m a man who sometimes wears dresses”. Thank goodness.

AnnaMagdalenaGluck Tue 16-Jan-18 09:18:47

'came out as transgender 30 years ago' Talk about rewriting history! No, he never. I don't think you missed anything, Sarah

The first time I started to wonder about him was when he was on Question Time before the referendum. He was quite bad. And lately all the coming out as trans just confirmed that he's become a bit of a nob.

It's a shame he used to be one of my favourite comedians - I still cry with laughter at 'le singe est sur la branche' on youtube.

Fekko Tue 16-Jan-18 09:19:01

I think he dresses like a dolly. I assumed it was an arty thing for promotion (or to hide behind)

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 09:20:03

That question time performance made DH so cross he had to stand in the garden!! I forgot that. Oh man.

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 09:20:47

OH god and the whole thing where his beret got pinched and he tried to have the person arrested...... I have been overlooking his knobbishness for some time, clearly.

Thehairthebod Tue 16-Jan-18 09:24:32

He used to be ok, but i havent liked him since he said that he confronted a group of young teenage girls who were upset that he was in the ladies loo and was all proud of himself

What?!

When did he say this? sad

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 16-Jan-18 09:26:30

Eddie is certainly rewriting his personal history.
He used to be adamant that he was a bloke who liked wearing skirts and nail varnish, nothing more.
He's suddenly decided that being a transvestite is as bad as "blacking up" so he's now decided he came out as transgender 30 years ago.
As far as I know "coming out" is not the same as adamantly denying you "are". It's the polar opposite

Datun Tue 16-Jan-18 09:26:47

I didn't particularly think about him having a cross dressing fetish when he cross dressed. Because he didn't make a sexual thing of it.

But that's exactly what it is.

And he is doing what every other transvestite is doing, hijacking the transsexual/gender dysphoria narrative to legitimise his fetish, increase his exposure and make him look trendy and progressive.

Transitioning to be a woman not only puts these men above all women, it puts them above all men, as well.

It's certainly given Izzard an extra layer of privilege which he is determinedly exploiting, as his comedy career fails.

Every single time a 'transwomen' opens their mouth or makes the news, their maleness oozes from every pore.

Datun Tue 16-Jan-18 09:29:23

Thehairthebod

If you advance search his name on here, you will find a thread about it.

When he first dressed as a woman, he hid in the toilets because there were some teenage girls at the basins.

He frames it is him being petrified of them. As he emerged they were shocked. But, of course, they are the oppressors, not the man getting a sexual kick out of breaching their boundaries.

BertrandRussell Tue 16-Jan-18 09:29:31

Oh please, Grayson Perry, stay who you are!

DeleteOrDecay Tue 16-Jan-18 09:31:58

So he's just like the rest of them then. Can't say I'm surprised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now