Talk

Advanced search

Is it legal for a man to use the women's toilet in England? Scotland?

(188 Posts)
SerciteEland Mon 15-Jan-18 17:31:43

If not, can someone please point me to where I can find text of the law regulating this? I've tried searching here to no avail: www.legislation.gov.uk/search

I was always under the impression that it WAS illegal for a man to enter the women's room but now I'm not so sure and it seems a rather hard thing to search for.

I assume it must be since apparently a reading of the 2010 Equality Act has been invoked to allow transgender women to use the women's room. www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36395646

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/19

But I can't seem to find the original law prohibiting men from being in the ladies'.

Further, I've only really started to pay attention to the trans issue within the last few years (first as an ally from 2011-2014 and thereafter becoming progressively more and more gender critical after hitting peak trans in 2014/15) and I somehow entirely missed that it's now apparently legal for trans women to be in the women's bathrooms. Does anyone have links to good information on how this happened (focused on the UK)? And have there been any documented abuses of it so far?

Agrona Sun 25-Aug-19 04:22:14

Why do a certain group of people like to resurrect threads in order to insult women? It seems to commonly occur on weekends.

Women wanting to maintain their single sex provisions is not transphobia. Why should women put transwoman’s demands above their own needs and rights? Many women fear men due to experience. Demands to include people they perceive as men into their segregated areas is cruel.

Outanabout Sun 25-Aug-19 05:46:11

Waah we just want to pee, why are women so MEAN?

TurboTeddy Sun 25-Aug-19 06:01:41

I doubt they would go through the hassle of pretending to be trans to do it.

Ah the old "you're accusing trans people of being predators and perverts so, you're tansphobic" argument. A Middleborough Conservative councillor made campaigning for gender neutral toilets his top priority after being elected, he's subsequently been arrested on nine charges of child sexual abuse. He is not trans but normalising men in women's spaces is a gift to people like that.

I've also seen a story from a student social worker who reported that at the start of their course, in a class of 70, the tutor stated, statistically 1-3 of the students would be training in order to gain access to vulnerable children for the purposes of abusing them. So yeah, putting on a dress and some lippy doesn't seem like a huge effort for predators to go to.

I'm quite sure the trans lobby can see the merit of these arguments but chooses to gaslight us because validating trans identity is more important that other people's safety.

Datun Sun 25-Aug-19 06:07:37

So yeah, putting on a dress and some lippy doesn't seem like a huge effort for predators to go to.

Which isn't necessary anyway.

AlessandraAsteriti Sun 25-Aug-19 07:30:41

@Ogd2019
UNESCO has specific programmes to promote segregated toilets around the world, because it is recognised as a policy that protect women and girls from sexual assault. What makes the West special that women and girls in UK, US etc do not deserve this basic protection? People who are male-bodied should not have access to spaces for females. This is really simple. If it is true that males are not dangerous, surely you can use their toilet. Problem solved.

terryleather Sun 25-Aug-19 07:30:55

I am actually a transwoman and however you wanna insult me and people like me

Wait a minute, I was under the impression that using the term transwoman instead of trans woman was transphobic.

How curious...

AlessandraAsteriti Sun 25-Aug-19 07:32:52

I doubt they would go through the hassle of pretending to be trans to do it.
Some pedophiles go through the hassle of becoming priests in order to rape and assault little boys and girls. What really is the hassle of pretending to be trans?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sun 25-Aug-19 07:56:31

We just wanna pee. Leave us alone.

Then do so in the toilets provided for your sex. It's perfectly safe. You just said so.

FormerMediocreMale Sun 25-Aug-19 08:11:34

Qgd2019

I am actually a transwoman and however you wanna insult me and people like me over petty nonsense is your problem. Males and females use your bathroom at home.

As you are not bothered by males and females sharing (based on the ridiculous comparison to home env) use the gents and let women have the safety and dignity if the ladies.

A phobia is an irrational fear, there is nothing irrational about females being scared of males in public toilets.

Qgd2019 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:55:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GCAcademic Sun 25-Aug-19 09:00:23

Males and females use your bathroom at home.

I know the people I share a house with, or who visit it. I don’t know you from Adam.

Datun Sun 25-Aug-19 09:02:08

Aggressive responses saying you're sick of parents trying to protect their kids? On a parenting website? To underline your argument to women's and girl's intimate space?

🤣

GCAcademic Sun 25-Aug-19 09:02:31

Perhaps if you don’t like parents who are concerned about paedophiles, a parenting website isn’t the place for you. I believe here are other websites available which may be more to your taste.

Qgd2019 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:03:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GCAcademic Sun 25-Aug-19 09:07:06

Translation: “Big meanies, you’re howwible [stamps foot], and you’ve had children, ewww.”

The gynaephobia is strong with this one.

GirlDownUnder Sun 25-Aug-19 09:08:28

NB not a mum

shock

Oh noes how will you cope Qgd2019

Btw, what where you researching <head tilt>

GirlDownUnder Sun 25-Aug-19 09:09:21

Oh and they’ve gone

Bye then 👋

Qgd2019 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:09:29

Just letting you all know too that I'm putting this forum on display in the pub I own to show what vile pond life stay at home parents are. Some of my staff are parents and they have no problems with me being around their kids or using the female toilets. Heck my supervisor even took me swimming with her kids. The pool has a mixed changing room. There are never any complaints. I'll bet most of you never even go to pubs restaurants or sports facilities.

Joisanofthedales Sun 25-Aug-19 09:12:11

QgdI
f we are so horrible then the best thing for you to do is take yourself off to a forum that appreciates laydees. Here we appreciate safe guarding children and women's rights which obviously isn't something you have an interest in. Why not go and look at one of those internet sites we don't want our children to look at. You know you want to. sad

GirlDownUnder Sun 25-Aug-19 09:13:28

Hey Qgd2019 if you get another post deleted you’ll be banned.

Just saying.

I’d hate for there not to be a protector of the loos or whatevs.

I’m not sure what your pub story is meant to prove but I’m sure you’ll make an excellent Sherpa smile

GCAcademic Sun 25-Aug-19 09:15:22

Nope, never go to pubs, restaurant or sports facilities, ever. Once women have reproduced, you see, our vaginas emit blocking signals that stop us entering any place of adult recreation so that we can devote ourselves 100% to pursing our lips joylessly and ruining the adult fun of these who like to visit immoral websites.

GirlDownUnder Sun 25-Aug-19 09:19:20

GCAcademic oooohh all this time I thought it was saggy tits that keep mums tied to the kitchen sink.

Every day’s a school day brew

Datun Sun 25-Aug-19 09:19:24

I think, and I may be wrong, it's just a hunch, that the pub story is meant to prove that Qgd2019 is a stranger to the truth since they both own the pub but are also supervised there...

Still it would be useful to display this thread to as many people as possible.

Mamello Sun 25-Aug-19 09:24:55

Darn it. Was going to take kids swimming and then pub lunch after a long week at work but apparently that's not an MNetty thing to do. I just can't get this womanning thing right.

Joisanofthedales Sun 25-Aug-19 09:31:18

gcacademic
Thank you that really made me belly laugh. Thank God I wasn't drinking my tea. It took away the nasty taste of qdc's posts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »