Talk

Advanced search

Labour party invents new bollocks made-up non-existent definition for woman

(801 Posts)
pisacake Thu 11-Jan-18 14:29:44

labour.org.uk/members/get-involved/national-youth-elections-2018/

Sixteen uses of the word 'self-defining woman'. Zero uses of 'female', 'biology', or plain 'woman'.

'Woman' is now literally meaningless. A woman can be a bog-standard heterosexual teenage male (Lily Madigan), if he says so.

And obviously with half the places reserved for 'self-defining women' (not 'women', 'self-defining women'), then there's not really any reason why men wouldn't define themselves a women, is there?

If misogynistic shits like Lily Madigan can 'self-define as a woman', well ALL men are women, aren't they?

The whole bloody human race is 'self-defined women'.

Stupid Labour.

Chchchchangeabout Thu 18-Jan-18 13:55:03

This organisation looks great. Includes guidance for creating letter to MP mobile.twitter.com/Womans_Place_UK

woman11017 Thu 18-Jan-18 16:08:28

More support; this time from constitutional lawyer Jolyon Maugham.

@JolyonMaugham

I have supported this.

It should be important to all who care about the Labour Party that it be somewhere where both trans people and women can flourish. But simple self-ID does not, for me, draw the line in the right place.

woman11017 Thu 18-Jan-18 16:22:51

He's now got the usual suspects trying to persuade him to cancel his donation.

Glitterypinksoap Thu 18-Jan-18 16:27:24

I see he now says he wouldn't have donated if he'd realised funds left over would be used to fight unethical medical sterilising of children and against any random self id man entering women's refuges, prisons and wards. Because clearly that's just evil. confused

woman11017 Thu 18-Jan-18 16:32:52

It's that particular person who has just posted trying to get him to cancel; they are like terriers. It can discombobulate someone new to these issues? Glitterypinksoap
I've just realised what this is all about: it really is the SWP stamping their authority on the labour party, using standard issue SWP branch and national tactics.
They are actually having less success than they wanted in getting their own candidates selected in constituencies, and a legal victory for us here too, could have wider repercussions for de toxifying the labour party, as well as giving feminism the front foot, again.

Vicxy Thu 18-Jan-18 16:42:15

Has it even been decided that the leftover funds will go on opposing the medicalization of children? And how on earth can he be against people fighting against something like that?1 Wow. The whole puberty blocker debacle is ridiculous, its modern day gay eugenics. Totally unethical and dangerous.

Vicxy Thu 18-Jan-18 16:42:22

Has it even been decided that the leftover funds will go on opposing the medicalization of children? And how on earth can he be against people fighting against something like that?1 Wow. The whole puberty blocker debacle is ridiculous, its modern day gay eugenics. Totally unethical and dangerous.

Vicxy Thu 18-Jan-18 16:50:22

Nevermind. Its actually on the campaign page. Somehow missed that.

irretating Thu 18-Jan-18 17:31:38

Has it even been decided that the leftover funds will go on opposing the medicalization of children? And how on earth can he be against people fighting against something like that?

It's bonkers, isn't it? Take a childhood cancer like ALL, If there was a 60-80% that this cancer would go away on it's own without the need for treatment, doctors wouldn't put a child through years of chemotherapy and all that entails unless they absolutely had to.

Maybe that's a bad example but I'm struggling to think of another situation in which a child would be put on long term medical treatment which could have a permanent negative impact on their overall health.

woman11017 Thu 18-Jan-18 18:18:05

And now this, after the usual suspects said the usual things.
Disappointing and not at all surprising.
@JolyonMaugham
I regret my donation and the support it implied for an attitude towards trans women that I do not share. I have asked for it to be returned and I apologise for my careless intervention.

Redonionricedpotato Thu 18-Jan-18 18:19:23

Oh what an utter twat. What can we expect from a Guardian writer though. 1000 virtue cookies to you, Jolyon.

Redonionricedpotato Thu 18-Jan-18 18:24:38

He is now being encouraged to write an 'apology tweet' and give the money to Mermaids instead. I predict further grovelling from Jolyon to appease the transborg.

BlindYeo Thu 18-Jan-18 18:33:16

You'd think a QC was capable of reading a GoFundMe page correctly and making a donation based on that. Or is the backpedalling on grounds of not having seen the bit about leftover funds just an excuse because he's been hammered on Twitter?

So disappointing. Pacifying TRAs trumps all-women shortlists.

NannyOggsKnickers Thu 18-Jan-18 18:40:40

We need to start calling out the TRAs for the homophobes they actually are.

It might make them actually debate a bit more to defend themselves. And then everyone would see the ridiculousness of their position on everything.

Glitterypinksoap Thu 18-Jan-18 18:56:47

JM has probably realised that he's going to be publically lynched and it puts his job at risk.

NannyOggsKnickers Thu 18-Jan-18 19:07:57

Lily Madigan does not seem worried by that statement. Seems to think that they can still run for YL Women’s Office without a GRC. The London YL has released a statement that they will accept self-id.

So the fight isn’t really over.

madameguineapig Thu 18-Jan-18 19:13:04

I wonder what went on behind the scenes for a man of his position to back pedal so spectacularly.

BlindYeo Thu 18-Jan-18 19:24:05

Calling someone a 'phobe of some sort has a very powerful effect in this country madame

Fekko Thu 18-Jan-18 19:27:16

I’m a wankeraphobe. It’s tiring...

PricklyBall Thu 18-Jan-18 19:29:16

One word: cowardice.

I think what went down is the following. JM read the gofundme page, and not being female and not realising the full implications or the threats that get dumped on anyone deviating from the Orwellian thought-policing line on this, simply thought "that looks like a sensible position" (as indeed it is).

Then he got monstered on his twitter feed for it by the TRAs.

Then he backed down because he's a coward, plain and simple.

(In one sense I can see where he's coming from - I would not dream of campaigning about this under my real name because I could envisage losing my job over it. So I guess I'm a coward too. But I'm a female coward with much more skin in the game.)

woman11017 Thu 18-Jan-18 19:52:52

I wonder what went on behind the scenes for a man of his position to back pedal so spectacularly
Exactly.

Terrylene Thu 18-Jan-18 20:32:35

^I wonder what went on behind the scenes for a man of his position to back pedal so spectacularly
Exactly.^

I expect there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes since the crowdfunding did not flop, like they hoped. It seems to have really worried them (it is nearly 1000, last time I looked). And with Little Ralph.

I think for a QC to backtrack like that in public is odd.

On the other hand, he may now see why people do not put their own names on things.

titchy Thu 18-Jan-18 21:18:31

I wonder if his chambers had been approached to defend either side?

woman11017 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:46:32

We have another highish profile supporter though: Prof Tanja Bueltmann‏ is active in the #StopBrexit campaign, and the Jolyon Maugham exchange has opened a few eyes to what's going on in the labour party.
Thread:
Prof Tanja Bueltmann‏ @cliodiaspora
So, to summarise: while the country is basically on fire, and the Sun's version of Brexit ends in decapitated Europeans, the discussion in UK Labour--a party supposedly founded on values of solidarity--is whether a woman who sees herself as a woman is woman enough? 1/

woman11017 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:48:09

Posted to soon, she's not with us. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »