Talk

Advanced search

Sexist comedian

(55 Posts)
endchauvinism Wed 13-Dec-17 21:14:19

This performance by wildly popular comedian Bill Burr is a good example of how funny guys get away with abuse and sexism. Yes, he's doing comedy, but his underlying points are clearly not jokes to him. I’ve also heard him on his podcast being just as misogynistic when he's serious.

Here’s a youtube link “Bill Burr -- There is no reason to hit a woman” www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksKvZoUCPQ
Notice the serious messages he slips in with the comedy:
1) Women bring up domestic violence against women too much.
2) Men make all the hard sacrifices because women are too selfish and lazy to help more (example is when his wife won’t take the dog out at night)
3) There are reasons to hit women. Don’t do it, but there are reasons to.
(WTF? If there are reasons to, then why not do it?)

He finishes off in the video, saying that the core reason men hit women is because of how women argue and verbally attack men.
The audience roars with laughter all the way through, although he notices tension in the room at one point. What’s it take to get people to stop brushing off the bad behavior of a**holes who make them laugh and charm them?

IrkThePurist Wed 13-Dec-17 21:43:05

I watched Bill Burr on Netflix, when he did a similar skit on domestic violence. His 'question' to the audience was'but what did she say to him?' (to provoke him into hitting her).
A woman in the audience shouted 'answered him'. Bill Burr didn't hear her response and laid into her.
It was the ultimate in irony; his behaviour copied that of her abusive ex partner, while he tried to prove his point that women provoke abuse.

He's also done a skit saying that women can get away with behaviour that men cant, because men are conditioned not to attack women.

AskBasil Wed 13-Dec-17 22:35:21

He's not actually very funny, is he.

endchauvinism Thu 14-Dec-17 02:28:57

I think what bothers me most is seeing women in the audience at his other shows laughing at his harsh jokes about women.

Psyfer Thu 14-Dec-17 02:40:33

There is three little dots on that youtube page for you to click on and report it.

ColleenMoore Fri 12-Oct-18 21:12:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FloralBunting Fri 12-Oct-18 21:21:13

So, what was it about this old thread that spurred you on into a lecture to 'hardline feminists' about how not all women are saints and men wanting to hit them is normal even if they shouldn't follow through?

LurkingWaspi Fri 12-Oct-18 21:42:22

[Hmm]
The ghost of Bernard Manning

ColleenMoore Fri 12-Oct-18 22:35:04

ClosdesMouches Fri 12-Oct-18 22:40:19

hmm

FermatsTheorem Fri 12-Oct-18 22:50:39

Christ, it's a female variant on the midnight misogynist, only with crap taste in humour.

RedDogsBeg Fri 12-Oct-18 23:00:14

I do so love the nonsensical Presumably you believe all women are saints line which is trotted out so regularly by these kind of posters.

FloralBunting Fri 12-Oct-18 23:07:39

It's nice to have a Bill Burr fan here tonight. I mean, I've never heard of him and couldn't care less, but I love it when the obscure gain a following.

Do I think all women are saints? Nope. Women saints tend to be my favourites, though, St Therese of Lisieux is a cracker, and St Gianna Molla kicks all kinds of arse.

I have no desire to hit you or anyone else right now. You do realize that violent impulses are fairly worrisome, yes? You really think that it's a normal reaction to life's irritations to want to beat other people up? You're quite a scary individual, really, aren't you?

Give Bill my best. And do keeping reining in those violent tendencies. Wouldn't want you arrested for assault, that would be so annoying for you.

NoSuchThingAsAlpha Fri 12-Oct-18 23:18:19

Colleen

No, I do consider it normal, under provocation, for a man to want to hit a woman, just as I also consider it normal for a woman to want to hit a man.

Not normal for me.

Smallhorse Fri 12-Oct-18 23:27:19

I agree with Colleen.
I don't often want to hit anyone but I have felt like it on a few occasions but never actually did it.
I don't think that's anything to be too worried about

ColleenMoore Fri 12-Oct-18 23:32:02

gilchrist168 Fri 12-Oct-18 23:41:56

Never heard of Bill Burr, and not really interested in him.
He must need a gig and sent his agent.

FloralBunting Fri 12-Oct-18 23:43:54

Dude, I didn't 'object to the statement that not all women are saints' I asked why you felt it necessary to come and remind 'hardline feminists' that women weren't saints, which wasn't a position any feminists were putting forward, and is entirely irrelevant to whether or not a man should want to hit them.

RedDogsBeg Fri 12-Oct-18 23:47:33

You totally misread/misunderstood what FloralBunting said in her comment to you. Try reading it again.

RedDogsBeg Fri 12-Oct-18 23:48:53

cross post Floral, the reading comprehension skills these days are lacking somewhat.

FloralBunting Fri 12-Oct-18 23:55:32

Red, it's a really big problem these days. The National Curriculum needs work.

MrGHardy Fri 12-Oct-18 23:56:43

So I have been watching quite a few Netflix comedy specials recently. I remember starting one but stopping. Just checked my history and turns out I remembered right, it was Bill Burr. Stopped after 22 minutes.

No idea what you see in him Colleen but I did not feel him at all.

gilchrist168 Fri 12-Oct-18 23:59:31

There is a real Colleen Moore, a leading UK Criminologist.
Interesting choice of user name.

ColleenMoore Sat 13-Oct-18 00:01:24

ColleenMoore Sat 13-Oct-18 00:06:28

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: