Talk

Advanced search

Do men openly negate and demean women?

(41 Posts)
whitehandledkitchenknife Sun 10-Dec-17 15:29:32

Hmmm.....how does it work out this way round?

What are your experiences whether in the workplace, on TV or at home? Are some men in danger of not being treated seriously because those with negative experiences of women feel the need to openly trash women.

Thedriftofstars Sun 10-Dec-17 15:30:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 10-Dec-17 15:38:06

If men don't want to be blamed for men treating women like shit, then

1)Don't treat women like shit
2)Pull up other men, when you see them treating women like shit

IfNot Sun 10-Dec-17 15:47:13

Negate? Do men make women ineffective? I suppose they could try. It's not a very coherent question tbh.

IrkThePurist Sun 10-Dec-17 15:49:29

Negate; make ineffective, nullify.

Men constantly negate women. For example, by refusing to believe women when we talk about abuse.
Or when we try to talk about FGM, by complaining we aren't tackling male circumcision.

Or by insisting women only spaces are the same as white only spaces.

StigOfThePlump Sun 10-Dec-17 15:51:50

I'd say that yes the actions of some men cause the rest to be tarred with same brush.

This was pretty much the point of my (somewhat tipsy) argument yesterday in AIBU. I was attempting to posit the view that the 6% of men who rape shouldn't be used as an argument that the ordinary man rapes, as was being stated.

I think most people can separate deviant minorities from the rest but the ones who can't seem to often be feminists.

Thedriftofstars Sun 10-Dec-17 15:54:28

My message apparently broke talk guidelines - all I did was call this GF out for the crap he's repeatedly posted over the boards today. hmm

MentholBreeze Sun 10-Dec-17 15:54:32

Well, if you pop around the boards here, it won't take you long to find someone saying that they don't like working with women or having woman as a boss because of some reason (generally the stereotypical back-stabbing or whatever)

That's women bashing women though - you should probably pop over to PistonHeads to get a male voice on the matter.

StigOfThePlump Sun 10-Dec-17 16:31:28

Menthol

It's well documented that both men and women don't like working for female bosses - women being more strongly inclined to voice this preference.

When it was discussed on here recently the majority of women said the same.

StigOfThePlump Sun 10-Dec-17 16:32:46

And Pistonheads is a bit of a boy racer website. Probably not the best place to go for a balanced view...

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sun 10-Dec-17 16:46:57

thedriftofstars

I liked your post

It was succinct, pithy (i think they mean the same thing) direct (now im convinced they mean the same thing)

Anyway...i liked it

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 10-Dec-17 16:55:51

Do we need to get a fumigator in?

QueenLaBeefah Sun 10-Dec-17 17:13:01

Sometimes bad smells are best ignored until they go away wink

whitehandledkitchenknife Sun 10-Dec-17 17:21:31

Goodness, I wasn't expecting this.

By reversing the sex of the original previous thread, this was an (obviously clumsy) attempt to look at the ways in which some men negate (as in nullify) women.

My apologies.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sun 10-Dec-17 17:32:04

whitehandled

To be fair to you the question on the original thread was dreadfully written

AsMenDclaredWomenTheirInferior Sun 10-Dec-17 17:49:25

StigOfThePlump
Menthol
"It's well documented that both men and women don't like working for female bosses - women being more strongly inclined to voice this preference."

So who in the culture is seen as the positive in it and who is seen as the negative?

We have all heard men say to boys, "don't throw like a girl"
"Don't cry like a girl"
We men don't read books written by women because they are not one of us bro's"
novelinsights.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/why-don%E2%80%99t-men-read-books-by-women-debate-conclusions/

Men like females in their company who are quiet, timid and unassuming but that is not something men admire in males and what they admire in males is assertiveness and aggressiveness because it appears that is what gets respect from others and gets the jobs done.

StigOfThePlump Sun 10-Dec-17 19:58:33

Well, I think there are certain animal kingdom elements here. However, I think men and women interact differently in many instances tbh (with obvious exceptions).

I remember watching a social experiment where a group of women and a separate group of men were dropped off on an island. The men had built shelters and were having a BBQ on the beach by the second day whilst the women were still arguing.

hangry Sun 10-Dec-17 20:06:24

something, don't know quite what it is, but something is making me want to scream 'bellend' at the top of my voice.

probably coming down with a cold.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 10-Dec-17 20:52:25

You're probably just hangry grin

hangry Sun 10-Dec-17 20:55:29

that could be it, need a big strong man to go kill me something for dinner.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 10-Dec-17 21:03:26

You are just a weak and feeble woman after all. It's so comforting to have some men around the place, explaining why we're wrong and how they know best. Makes me feel all protected and safe.

I mean we veer wildly between all agreeing (echo chamber) and all disagreeing (hysterical and overly emotional). It's nice because when men do it it is respectively 'consensus' and 'healthy debate'. Coz of the penises.

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Sun 10-Dec-17 21:04:12

I remember watching a social experiment where a group of women and a separate group of men were dropped off on an island. The men had built shelters and were having a BBQ on the beach by the second day whilst the women were still arguing.

Was it peer reviewed?

MentholBreeze Sun 10-Dec-17 21:16:19

I remember watching a social experiment where a group of women and a separate group of men were dropped off on an island. The men had built shelters and were having a BBQ on the beach by the second day whilst the women were still arguing

S'Funny - cos I've also seen it happen exactly the other way around too - almost as if two small groups of people might have more differences due to personality than due to sex......

StigOfThePlump Sun 10-Dec-17 21:40:06

But there is something in the fact that men are happy to work for other men whilst women are not happy to work for other women. This had been well studied.

QuentinSummers Sun 10-Dec-17 21:43:20

I mean we veer wildly between all agreeing (echo chamber) and all disagreeing (hysterical and overly emotional). It's nice because when men do it it is respectively 'consensus' and 'healthy debate'. Coz of the penises.

grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: