Talk

Advanced search

Transactivism as a cover for misogynistic attacks on women

(50 Posts)
pisacake Thu 07-Dec-17 22:30:29

This seems to be a major issue.

And it's one reason why transwomen should not be referred to as women, because it opens up the 'I can't be misogynistic, I'm a woman' defence.

I was looking at this:

www.artlyst.com/news/intersex-denier-mary-beard-issues-one-word-apology-non-binary-hunger-striker/

Basically the man there is transgender, and isn't intersex, but imagines he is. broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/43ggpw/ela-xora-the-trans-artist-and-campaigner-in-the-silver-mask. He campaigns for intersex people (I bet they wish he didn't), and he decided to completely make up some lies about Mary Beard being an 'intersex denier', went on 'hunger strike', tweeting her about how he was going to kill himself if she didn't apologise for some sort of conspiracy theory about hiding all the intersex statues from antiquity.

www.world-arts.com/artist-on-sleeping-hermaphroditus-hunger-strike-performance-2/ twitter.com/ElaXora/status/933612515426172928

He claims to have Stephen Fry on his side:

twitter.com/ElaXora/status/934407669934379008

Is there ANY precedent for male academics being told what to say and think by men on threat of suicide? Or is this just something that happens to women?

It is clear to me that men will ALWAYS trump women when the men play the oppression card (something, something Roman intersex babies drowned, something something not even intersex).

Because what can be a better woman than a man?

Ereshkigal Thu 07-Dec-17 23:16:41

Christ. And look at all the fawning people feeding his narcissism.

cromeyellow0 Fri 08-Dec-17 00:56:47

Gosh, this is a bizarre story.

There's something interesting about museums covering up statues with ambiguous sexual characteristics. And it is wrong to force operations on intersex children before they can give meaningful consent (just as it's wrong to take your son to Thailand to have his genitals removed at the age of 16).

But why should Mary Beard have to apologize? If you don't like her published work, then publish a critique!

It echoes an incident in the spring, when a young feminist philosopher in America was subject to a real witch hunt for innocently suggesting that accepting transgender should also mean accepting transracial (search for Hypatia affair).

There's a long history of transgender people pretending to be intersex. A famous sociological case was "Agnes" published by Garfinkel in 1967; Agnes fooled the doctors (and Garfinkel) into providing sex-reassignment surgery on the grounds that she was intersex, then later revealed than she'd surreptitiously been taking oestrogen for many years (forging her mother's signature, IIRC).

pisacake Fri 08-Dec-17 01:13:54

"There's something interesting about museums covering up statues with ambiguous sexual characteristics. "

There is, but is it actually true? All we have is the word of a misogynistic trans bigot.

MarrowWang Fri 08-Dec-17 01:35:33

Do what I want or I will kill myself. Sounds horrifyingly familiar to me. Most maniulative abusive bastard I was ever with tried this on multiple occasions and each time I caved. These men know how to get their own way, don't they..

Ereshkigal Fri 08-Dec-17 02:08:52

Me too MarrowWang. Such a manipulative tactic.

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 08-Dec-17 06:35:04

Fucking handmaiden.

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 08-Dec-17 06:36:16

Xora?

X-bollox.

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 08-Dec-17 06:37:54

Every single day another child could be mutilated and abused by others,

Yeah, by people like you. You dick.

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 08-Dec-17 06:38:44

Now FUCK OFF.

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 08-Dec-17 06:39:51

I personally haven't been genitally mutilated, but I have been psychologically mutilated and punished."

Cool story bro.

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 08-Dec-17 06:41:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 08-Dec-17 06:45:12

biology is not black and white and that shades of gray should be celebrated, not denied

Biology is EXACTLY black and white.

What else id it you reductive dick heads.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 08-Dec-17 07:14:49

I've read through the links and I still don't know what Mary Beard has to do with it. Why is he targeting her?

QuarksandLeptons Fri 08-Dec-17 07:31:03

Talentless, male, middle class artist appropriates womanhood and intersex condition to try to gain fame. Bullies famous woman in attempt to parasite some of her fame for himself.

QuarksandLeptons Fri 08-Dec-17 07:33:14

homeysucklejasmine He’s targeting Mary Beard because she is a woman. There’s hundreds of classical academics he could have asked the same question of. As the OP pointed out, the crux of this is misogyny

Iris65 Fri 08-Dec-17 07:40:56

Talentless, male, middle class artist appropriates womanhood and intersex condition to try to gain fame. Bullies famous woman in attempt to parasite some of her fame for himself.

Agree

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 08-Dec-17 07:42:33

I can't find anything there about what Mary is meant to have said, let alone why the 19th century practices of the Museum is Classical Archaeology are her fault. But I find it very hard to believe she has been anything other than thoughtful and open minded in anything she has written.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 08-Dec-17 07:43:17

Typo, Museum OF Classical Archaeology...

PerfectlyDone Fri 08-Dec-17 07:46:18

INTERSEX HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TRANSSEXUALISM

Yes, I am shouting.

It's too early in the morning for this nonsense brew
Sigh.

picklemepopcorn Fri 08-Dec-17 07:46:17

She supported Germaine Greer against no platforming, and said the sleeping Aphroditus had flimsy Male characteristics, only a little willy. She's ignored the artists attempts to get her to publicise ancient non binary statues.
That seems to be the sum total of her offence.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 08-Dec-17 07:54:58

'Ancient non-binary statues'? What does that even mean?! If this artist is trying to argue that the ancient world had a concept of non-binary gender they should write a paper.

Alltheprettyseahorses Fri 08-Dec-17 08:10:35

I imagine the 'sorry!' was a typo for 'fuck off'.

That may be the oddest thing I'll read today. My favourite hmm part was when he mantrummed at some random woman that he'd starve himself again because of something she hadn't said. Where do people get this sense of entitlement from? What would he do if he was told straight no-one is bothered?

picklemepopcorn Fri 08-Dec-17 08:11:10

Apparently there are many classical non binary statues of intersex gods which we never see. Some were even 'tidied up' - penis removed. It is an interesting area, but not something to harass Mary Beard about...

picklemepopcorn Fri 08-Dec-17 08:17:01

I don't wish to be insensitive, but something must have led him to think he had AIS. Presumably he felt at 25, better to be a woman than a man with a very small penis.
He doesn't seem to approve of genital correction surgery. Altogether an unusual person who seems to struggle to get support for his viewpoint, given the lukewarm reception to his petition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now