Talk

Advanced search

Free hair removal and wigs

(12 Posts)
jellyfrizz Fri 01-Dec-17 07:56:07

Interesting thread on the Edinburgh TransAction for Heath twitter feed from the NGICNS service user evening in Edinburgh:

twitter.com/EdinburghATH

Some snippets:
"Current protocols- if you are a trans woman who is balding, you should have access to 2 wigs a year."

"Points also have been raised about how treatment for hair removal treatment has stopped in Aberdeen, due to overdue bills,"

"consultant psychiatrist: “if you don’t have a disease why do you need to access healthcare?”

Thermostatpolice Fri 01-Dec-17 08:04:48

Goodness me, that thread is an eye-opener.

I don't get the anger about top surgery being denied to people with a high BMI. Surely this is to give them the best possible chance of surviving surgery and being healthy afterwards?

OlennasWimple Fri 01-Dec-17 14:46:26

It's apparently distressing to require people to have four days' growth of hair when presenting for hair removal treatment.

It's all out of context, but I'm assuming that is for laser removal of facial hair? In which case, my understanding is that the hair needs to be a certain length in order for the treatment to work..... confused

SolidarityGdansk Fri 01-Dec-17 16:33:36

Yes, laser requires a certain length to work.

And it is very distressing for natal women to have to go about their lives in the few days before treatment. Do we get laser in the NHS too?

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Fri 01-Dec-17 16:49:09

I've just had a look at their Twitter and haven't found that thread yet, however these people want to takeover a clinic? What?

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Fri 01-Dec-17 16:55:54

From their link:

"TRANS HEALTH MANIFESTO

Trans health is bodily autonomy. We will express our needs, and they will be met. We will change our bodies however we want. We will have universally accessible and freely available hormones & blockers, surgical procedures, and any other relevant treatments and therapies. We will end the medical gatekeeping of our bodies. We will have full, historical accountability for the abuses perpetuated against us in the name of 'healthcare’. We will see reparations for these crimes, and the crimes committed against others in our names."

edinburghath.tumblr.com/post/163521055802/trans-health-manifesto/amp

As a former HCP this terrifies me. Soon they will go after registrations. It's like the fucking Handmaids Tale when they kill doctors who has previously offered terminations.

When doctors in various trusts aren't able to give appropriate treatments for cancer and chronic illnesses why why do they think this is practical or appropriate? The selfishness and entitlement is startling.

AnotherQuoll Fri 01-Dec-17 18:00:06

"Trans Health Manifesto" - Looks like Ada's gone off on one again.

ArcheryAnnie Fri 01-Dec-17 18:04:05

They are absolutely barking, entitled fuckers.

Maybe we should all claim to be trans women and get free hair removal. Except, of course, we aren't barking, entitled fuckers, and know that the NHS is for medical problems, not barking entitled fuckery.

SolidarityGdansk Fri 01-Dec-17 18:07:34

So if I “identify” as a transwomen then I will get free hair removal?

Horrah!

BahHumbygge Fri 01-Dec-17 18:17:53

As a hairy natal woman, I'm not entitled to get laser hair removal on the NHS*. So there is a degree of biological gate-keeping going on, depending on whether you are a "woman" with either male or female genitals.

*I'm not suitable for it anyway, being fair, and don't wish for it to be on the NHS at all... it just boils my piss that they say that being a woman is not contingent on having female biology. And then denying psychologically beneficial treatment on the basis of one's biological sex. If they're offering it to women as a gender category, it should be available to either all or none. Natal women can have hirsutism based body dysphoria.

miri1985 Fri 01-Dec-17 21:10:35

I've always thought it would be interesting for someone to take an equality case based on gender discrimination given that transwomen are entitled to services like electrolysis/laser etc but (apologies for using this word) cis women are not entitled to it.
If having a hair free face is essential to being a woman then actual women should be entitled to hair removal services. I can only imagine how quickly this would be taken off the NHS if actual women were entitled to it

pisacake Fri 01-Dec-17 21:25:02

Ada should be in prison. Very dangerous violent man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now