Talk

Advanced search

International trans law

(5 Posts)
pisacake Wed 29-Nov-17 22:57:39

What do we think?

www.hrw.org/news/2017/11/29/japan-forces-sterilization-transgender-people

The Japanese law says to have legal recognition of transitioned sex/gender, you must not have gonads or permanently non-functioning gonads and be "endowed with genitalia that closely resemble the physical form of an alternative gender."

This is described by HRW as 'sterilization'. Which is a reasonable description, however so are cross-sex hormones, which are much beloved by Mermaids, etc.

They contrast this with Nepal, where 'the sole criterion for being legally recognized as third gender on documents and in government registers was an individual’s “self-feeling."'

Third-gender is not trans-gender in the 'trans women are women' sense. It's saying that you now have 'transgender' status. It doesn't state that a man has become a woman.

jellyfrizz Thu 30-Nov-17 07:33:15

I think a transgender/gender non-conforming status is the way to go.

It offers protection against discrimination to a broader range of people without impinging on the rights of non-transgender people.

It could cover non-binary and other gender combinations and take away any argument about how far you have to change your body/lifestyle to be accepted as transgender.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 30-Nov-17 08:37:53

I like the Nepalese definition. It doesn't harm anyone else.

MsBeaujangles Thu 30-Nov-17 13:01:20

I agree with jelly and DJ. This seem like a reasonable and compassionate way forward. I think it would be welcomed by some, but not all, in the 'transgender community'.

pisacake Thu 30-Nov-17 14:57:42

Seems India goes with 'third gender' too.

www.thehindu.com/news/national/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-transgender-persons-bill-2016/article21226710.ece

All male, it seems. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_(South_Asia)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now