Talk

Advanced search

Man claims 40% of rapes "committed by women"

(23 Posts)
Gacapa Tue 28-Nov-17 18:25:48

"Violence has no gender. Some steps I take to keep myself safe which you may wish to consider are: avoiding public transport late at night, especially if I’m on my own, not drinking or taking drugs in public to the state where I am incapacitated, wearing sensible shoes so that I can run away if I have to, being aware that there are some areas of town which are higher risk and avoiding them after dark, not wearing clothes or jewellery likely to make me a target, having some knowledge of a marshal art and breakaway techniques. In terms of assault by a partner, again this is not a gendered issue. If you define rape as non consensual sex, then 40% of rapists are women according to this major study:
www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/NISVS_Report2010-a.pdf"

Just seen this comment on a Facebook thread, re. Angela Lansbury comments.

I keep typing and deleting replies; I'm seething with rage. Is it even worth it? To engage with men like this and their idiotic, delusional shit "statistics"?

wowbutter Tue 28-Nov-17 18:31:02

I thought inky men could rape? The legal definition of it being using a penis or something?
Of course it's a gender issue. Only men can rape other human beings.

wowbutter Tue 28-Nov-17 18:31:33

Inky?! I ,want only.

I suppose inky men can rape too, but not exclusively the inky ones.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 28-Nov-17 18:37:05

I don't know whether it's better to ignore, or to post one single post pointing out the wrongness and then disengaging. Definitely don't waste any time engaging in any kind of "debate" with this person.

That report doesn't say what he thinks it does, although I doubt he'd be receptive to that.

FattyCat Tue 28-Nov-17 18:38:07

Hi Gacapa, the link does not work....Maybe removed?

Wowbutter it used to be the case that only men could rape and women could only be charged with aiding and abetting rape (Perhaps not quite the right terminology, not a lawyer)

Christ knows what will happen after the GRA when humans who are be-cocked can identify as women. The rape stats are going to go all over the place.

Elendon Tue 28-Nov-17 18:38:18

Men don't bring rape charges though because they are mostly raped by men whom they respect and are friends with. Same as women.

Men rape women and men.

Ttbb Tue 28-Nov-17 18:38:24

You litterally cannot commit rape under English law without a penis.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 28-Nov-17 18:38:59

Maybe just point out that he doesn't seem to have actually read the report?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 28-Nov-17 18:39:33

The link does work - you need to delete the " from the end

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 28-Nov-17 18:40:15

That report is US based where definitions of rape differ to the UK.

He may be misinterpreting the statistics on page 34 of the report, where almost 40% (37.7) of male victims of "non-contact unwanted sexual experiences" reported a female perpetrator:

"For non-contact unwanted sexual experiences, approximately half of male victims (49.0%) reported only male perpe- trators and more than one-third (37.7%) reported only female perpetrators (data not shown)."

This is clearly not the same as non-consensual sex.

Gacapa Tue 28-Nov-17 18:49:15

Ugh.

I HATE seeing this utter rubbish.

And yes, when we add in men who claim they're women it's going to get even more fucked up.

Now he's going on about lesbians being more at risk of domestic violence than straight women.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 28-Nov-17 18:50:40

Is this a randomer or an actual friend/acquaintance of yours?

Gacapa Tue 28-Nov-17 18:55:03

Randomer. Thank god.

I know it'll drive me mad to engage.

Butterymuffin Tue 28-Nov-17 18:57:05

'Not a gendered issue' - what a load of shit. That's all I think I could say.

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Thu 30-Nov-17 13:43:01

Not long ago I had an argument with some utter knobhead who tried to tell me that women actually sexually assault more than men, just that men do not report it so it looks like men are the bad ones. Also in nearly every case of domestic violence, women start it and throw the first punch. Apparently. hmm

Its not worth arguing with people like this. I came away from it feeling so drained and pissed off.

GuardianLions Thu 30-Nov-17 13:56:47

I thought in US law rape meant unwanted penetration - for example they might say 'digital rape' if the fingers penetrated the persons orifice.

I hardly imagine women are doing so much penetration of men's mouths and anuses with fingers and other objects, that it could account for 40% of the total unwanted penetration including penetration by penis.

Twit

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Fri 01-Dec-17 17:26:32

Jesus christ..as if by magic, after my post yesterday I now have (again)

Lot of man hate in here.Men are sexually assaulted by women all the time.The amount of times i had my meat and veg grabbed whilst on nights out by women,and arse grabbed more times than i could count.They’d raid the mens toilet to watch you piss or in some cases touch you.It’s not all women are angels and men are the bad bastards.It’s just that men don’t report it.

On another site. I don't know whether to ignore him or answer. Ignoring him is tempting, but I also do think that idiotic views should be challenged.

Holowiwi Fri 01-Dec-17 17:43:30

That article is from the USA which has a different definition of Rape, going by the example below women in the US can commit rape as it doesn't require a penis.

(a)Rape.—Any person subject to this chapter who commits asexual act upon another person by—

(1)

usingunlawful forceagainst that other person;

(2)

usingforcecausing or likely to cause death orgrievous bodily harmto any person;

(3)

threatening or placing that other person in fearthat any person will be subjected to death, grievous bodily harm, or kidnapping;

(4)

first rendering that other person unconscious; or

(5)

administering to that other person byforceor threat offorce, or without the knowledge orconsentof that person, a drug, intoxicant, or other similar substance and thereby substantially impairing the ability of that other person to appraise or control conduct.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 01-Dec-17 18:00:39

Even given that, when you read the report that figure is not correct. On pg 24 it clearly says that male victims of rape (using their definition) reported that 93.3% of perpetrators were male only, and women reported an even higher figure of 98.1%. No way does that work out to "40% of rapists are women".

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:07:49

assassinated

Yeah but i think the bloke is saying that women rape at nearly the same rate as men but men just don't report it

IfNot Fri 01-Dec-17 18:12:30

Obviously don't engage with whoever that is-it's just goady. However you do hear a sort of watered down version of this a lot in real life.
After #metoo, men(and some women) were falling over themselves to say "women do it too" and citing pissed women on hen nights etc as proof.
When I brought up the metoo thing with him indoors (it was so not on his radar) and explained how many women are sexually assaulted he said something like " what counts as sexual assault? "
I said "any touching or grabbing of intimate parts without consent" and he went on to blithely tell me that women can be just as bad, and if that's the definition the he has been assaulted by women many times(ex barman/restauranteur).
So I asked him if he had ever felt threatened or scared in these situations. No. He hadn't.
Then I told him about some of my experiences, mostly as a teenager (he was appalled and surprised I never mentioned anything. .). THEN he told me that the only time he had ever felt scared in relation to unwanted attention, was when he was a 16 year old waiter and was followed home-by a man.
He had several other stories of unwanted attention from men, but from when he was older and stronger, so while unpleasant they were not frightening.
Obviously it's not nice to get grabbed by pissed up women, and no one should be touched against their will, but it's just not the same, and men who insist it is are the same kind of men who think feminists are saying that men and women are the same, so we shouldn't expect special treatment. They make up silly stories about women who get offended when a guy holds a door open for them, and come on threads about DV to say that women can also be violent (so raise money for your own damn shelters if it bother you that much!)
I am still fucked off with DP (lovely guy, and a gentlemen, but has just never thought about any of this) but it's how most men think. Anything to avoid the uncomfortable truth.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 01-Dec-17 18:14:50

Yes, he's trying to suggest that but he's referencing that study directly in relation to his 40% figure, when it says no such thing.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:20:22

Well yes assassinated

But it sounds like he is very hard of thinking grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now