Talk

Advanced search

Trans-identified male claims to also be transracial Filipino

(78 Posts)
pisacake Mon 13-Nov-17 21:15:40

Apparently he has come out to his family as a woman, but he has yet to broach the fact that he is also Filipino.

He demonstrates his Filipinoness by driving a tuk-tuk (pink, natch) around Florida, eating Filipino food and listening to Filipino music.

For some reason the media is describing him as a man, even though he has long pink hair and is therefore clearly a woman. Seems misgendering is ok if you also appropriate someone else's culture.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5078211/Transracial-Florida-man-born-white-claims-Filipino.html

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 13-Nov-17 21:20:03

Seems misgendering is ok if you also appropriate someone else's culture

How bigoted of you shock He is not appropriating someone else's culture. If he feels Filipino then he is Filipino...

busyboysmum Mon 13-Nov-17 21:20:53

Hilarious. This just shows the whole self identifying stuff up as the nonsense it is. Really the further people push it the better. Hopefully common sense will prevail at some point.

Slapbetcommissioner Mon 13-Nov-17 21:27:30

Of course he's a Filipino woman if he identifies as such. Stop being so bigoted everyone. I identify as the queen, I'm on my way home to my palace now to gain my rightful control of the throne and look forward to all the positive media support and petitions to get me on the throne should I be denied access by anyone daring to suggest I am not the queen.

BossyBitch Mon 13-Nov-17 21:33:51

I tries that one recently. My boss told me I was good at my job and he liked me as a person and he would therefore have to advise me against trying my 'I identify as a board member and expect this to be reflected in my compensation package' line on one of my trans-colleagues who's a cis-board member. grin

ladyballs Mon 13-Nov-17 21:44:03

Oh fgs.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Mon 13-Nov-17 21:49:09

He's too fat to be a lady boy and he needs to be able to sing well to be an authentic Filipina. So. Nooo darling

pisacake Mon 13-Nov-17 21:52:44

Plus they aren't called tuk-tuks in the Philippines.

woman11017 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:01:43

This just shows the whole self identifying stuff up as the nonsense it is.
I reckon it won't be long before there's litigation on what race one identifies as using this gender identification thing as a precedent.
busyboysmum You're right, it is ultimately, daft.
But seems to have a strange amount of traction atm.

pisacake Mon 13-Nov-17 22:04:29

Yes quite. It's legal to have scholarships etc. for different races. So why can't I identify as a Jamaican boy?

BossyBitch Mon 13-Nov-17 22:16:40

It's legal to have scholarships etc. for different races. So why can't I identify as a Jamaican boy?

Actually, there might be a much more broadly applicable scenario than a few scholarships:

The European asylum system penalises applicants for misrepresenting their background (I have lots of complaints about that system in general - it's an inhumane travesty, but this point is a given). What if an applicant is not a Palestinian from the West Bank pretending to be native Syrian but someone identifying as a native Syrian person who happened to be born to Palestinian-identifying parents on the West Bank?

You tell me how the system is meant to meaningfully differentiate!

woman11017 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:25:58

Defendants in british courts now have to declare their nationality. sad
If gender is non binary, how about being a human living on this planet. Do you have to say which bit of it you identify with?

woman11017 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:26:49

Nationality in criminal cases.

woman11017 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:27:09

blush whoops double post.

lizzieoak Mon 13-Nov-17 22:28:25

I know a ton of Filipinos & not a one of them but would be caught dead driving around in one of those grin I think she’s missed a big chunk of the Catholic keeping up with the Joneses part of the culture. And what kind of name has she adopted? All the Filipinos I know have variants on Catholic names.

BriechonCheese Mon 13-Nov-17 22:43:08

I wa literally coming on to post about this after seeing it on Twitter!

"Whenever I'm around the music, around the food, I feel like I'm in my own skin." No, dude. No. That's not how this shit works.

^ I saw that from @angryasianman

Someone please explain to me how "identifying" as another race is different to "identifying" as a another gender?

BossyBitch Mon 13-Nov-17 22:53:47

Someone please explain to me how "identifying" as another race is different to "identifying" as a another gender?

According to the person who tried to explain it to me: because race is a social construct but also kind of a real thing anyway and therefore imperialism and cultural appropriation whereas ladybrain is totally a thing for realz. That's literally as coherent as it got.

I'm really hoping that there is a somewhat better argument out there somewhere, because the above boils down to 'because this aligns best with my preconceived notions of what I find appealing and/or acceptable'. I refuse to believe this would convince many people.

lizzieoak Mon 13-Nov-17 22:59:17

Personally the music I like best is Chicago blues. As a white Canadian woman it’s a bit of a stretch from there to thinking I’m an American black man.

pisacake Mon 13-Nov-17 23:10:20

No you are definitely 100% a man, but not American or black , because that would be racist.

BriechonCheese Mon 13-Nov-17 23:17:49

Can I please identify as a newborn?
Would that in somehow allow me to get a lie in and have my DC make their breakfast in the morning?
I could do with tummy time.

I am seriously wondering if can identify as something and start a twitter.

Slapbetcommissioner Mon 13-Nov-17 23:35:13

I'm going to start identifying as the owner of a supermarket so I can get my shopping for free.

doctorcuntybollocks Mon 13-Nov-17 23:40:41

I identify as a size 8, but clothing manufacturers (the bigots) don't make size 8 in my size so I have to wear a 24.

Datun Mon 13-Nov-17 23:42:06

I am going to start identifying as someone who stops saying ‘identify as’ and starts saying ‘pretends to be’.

MistressDeeCee Mon 13-Nov-17 23:52:25

Why did I not know of this previously?

I'm a black woman..as of tomorrow I'm going to identify as a white male, upper class, natch. I look forward to complete acceptance, and all the privilege that goes with it too....

doctorcuntybollocks Mon 13-Nov-17 23:57:17

Start calling yourself Boris Rees-Gove.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now