Talk

Advanced search

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

(9 Posts)
fruitlovingmonkey Mon 13-Nov-17 12:00:32

I feel like this is a feminist issue. Two male politicians who care more about their careers than a woman's life. Would they be so blasé about the treatment of a British citizen if it was a man?
Boris Gove (as I will now call this moronic mutant) seems to be using the press attention they have gained from Nazanin's plight to relaunch their Brexit piece, with no care for the human being trapped in the middle.

scallopsrgreat Mon 13-Nov-17 13:33:41

They've certainly thrown her under the bus. Very convenient that Priti Patel's transgressions came up last week as well. In the nick of time one might say. another woman to take the fall (I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve the fall she's had just that it's all a little too convenient).

I think that there is a fair amount about this awful case that is a feminist issue. A woman in prison in an openly misogynistic country for a start. Poor woman. I really feel for her and her family.

deydododatdodontdeydo Mon 13-Nov-17 14:01:02

Would they be so blasé about the treatment of a British citizen if it was a man?

Yes. There have been numerous cases of British men receiving miscarriages of justice abroad and the British Government hasn't done much.
There may well be feminist issues in this case, but I don't think the goverment would do more if she was male.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Mon 13-Nov-17 16:46:47

I don't think the feminist issue is in the fact that Nazanin is a woman, but more in the fact that had any woman fucked up as much as Boris had they'd be out on their arse. God knows how he manages to stay in the job - I heard someone say there was a fucking learning curve, hasn't he been in the job for most of the year?!

fruitlovingmonkey Mon 13-Nov-17 17:05:48

I realise there have been a lot of cases where the foreign office don't help but have there been other cases where a government minister is directly responsible for an extended sentence?
I just think there would be more outrage if she was a man.
Agree that a female Boris would have been ousted a long time ago.

newtlover Mon 13-Nov-17 17:09:14

when he was appointed I thought it was a deliberate tactic to allow TM to get rid of him without appearing petty- he would inevitably make some stupid gaffe, let himself down, let the school down etc and then be sacked. I am aghast that he has been left in office long enough to cause real harm. And the arrogance of him saying he may have been 'misunderstood/taken out of context when his words are crystal clear and unambiguous- he said the very thing they say he said and that poor woman is in danger as a consequence.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 13-Nov-17 17:10:30

I think she might be getting a bit more attention because she's a women, with a child who is being kept away from her.

Boris is an arsehole. And a women who was that venal, nasty, self-serving and acted that stupid, looked that scruffy, overweight and badly put together... wouldn't last a second.

newtlover Mon 13-Nov-17 17:17:36

true MrsTP
unless she could quote in Latin maybe, that might help

ginandbearit Mon 13-Nov-17 17:26:46

I wish there was a message on the front page of our passports ..." Please understand that if you get into trouble and are jailed in a foreign country the Foreign Office will do the least possible to help you without upsetting trade relations"
This poor woman is seen as a nuisance and to the likes of Johnson is very expendable , shame even from prison in Iran she 'persists' in troubling him ..vile man .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now