Talk

Advanced search

The tabloid press aren't doing us any favours today.

(10 Posts)
TinselAngel Mon 13-Nov-17 10:43:12

Scaremongering front pages in the Mirror and the Sun today about young kids in schools and nurseries being taught about gender fluidity aged 2, by drag queens, and that boys should be allowed to wear tiaras (why not indeed?).

It’s given Owen Jones another opportunity to denounce the “transphobia” that is “even coming from Liberals” as well as the right.

It feels depressing that anybody with gender critical views will be lumped with the Sun and the Mail. It’s an effective strategy to undermine us.

Stopmakingsense Mon 13-Nov-17 11:00:43

Except The Times (again) - very unambigious leader in today's edition:
The Tavistock clinic in London has reported a 1,000 per cent increase in referrals of trans children in the past six years. The vast majority of these are teenage girls who used to be a tiny proportion of cases. This rush to provide medical sanction to a confused sense of self- affirmation has all the hallmarks of a scandal in the making. Most of the self-defined patients are gay young women, many with autism, depression or problems with anxiety. Many had suffered sexual abuse.
Constant confirmation among the like-minded on social media is giving young people un- warranted certainty. “I assumed that everything must yield to me, that the entire universe had to flatter my whims, ” the Marquis de Sade said. That libertine impulse is now extending to identity. It is time the lobbyists stoped being so irresponsible and it is time that the medical and the political establishments took their duty of care seriously, ignored the charge of not being politically correct and stood firmly against this damaging trend.

Datun Mon 13-Nov-17 12:46:50

TinselAngel

Yes I get a little annoyed with newspapers confusing gender nonconformity, with transgender.

They are polar opposite. And directly contradict each other.

I don’t know if it’s deliberate. It’s easy to see how boys wearing tiaras will have a lot of Daily Mail readers frothing.

misscockerspaniel Mon 13-Nov-17 14:11:12

The leader in the Times mentions that many of the young people who are being referred are autistic. I am not autistic but I am ND. I was a naïve, unsophisticated teenager who was easily manipulated. If someone had suggested to me that I was trans, I would have most likely just have gone along with it, even though I have never, ever wished that I was a man. I am horrified at what is happening.

Stopmakingsense Mon 13-Nov-17 14:55:34

My DD is autistic and identifies as male. She is very intelligent, thinks rigidly, suffers from anxiety and has a poor sense of identity, and as such is the perfect candidate. Obviously hormones and surgery are the answer to all her problems (not).

Datun Mon 13-Nov-17 14:58:22

Stopmakingsense

You have to have nerves of steel, a will of granite and determination coursing through your veins like acid to withstand the ideology.

You have my admiration, compassion and support.

flowers for you and your daughter.

Stopmakingsense Mon 13-Nov-17 23:39:37

Thank you Datsun. I am not sure how I could have got through these dark days without you folk on
Mumsnet. I don't know how things will work out with our DD, (and we will love and support whatever happens) but if one single doctor/psychologist/teacher/social worker can be made to step back and think critically about what is happening so that another young person is not sacrificed on the trans altar, I may be able to sleep well again.

Stopmakingsense Tue 14-Nov-17 07:03:14

Sorry, Datun, autocorrected blush

Datun Tue 14-Nov-17 07:44:44

No worries!

StealthPolarBear Tue 14-Nov-17 07:48:07

" it is time that the medical and the political establishments took their duty of care seriously, ignored the charge of not being politically correct and stood firmly against this damaging trend."
Yes! I can't believe no-one in a decision making position can see the huge scandal that is coming about this. Lessons will no doubt be learned in 2030

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: