Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feminist Discrimination

(95 Posts)
Vicky1990 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:13:43

On radio 4 woman's hour the two presenters, Jane Garvey and Jenny Murrey declare themselves as feminist, and as such many of the items discussed discriminate against men.
Is this fair as the BBC is supposed to fair, impartial, and not to discriminate on grounds of gender.
Half the population has no voice on the BBC as it is Male, this does not seem to be in keeping with impartiality to me, what do you think ?.

AlternativeTentacle Sun 12-Nov-17 22:16:15

huh?

LaurieFairyCake Sun 12-Nov-17 22:16:20

Feminist discussion does not discriminate against men

Women’s hour is not 50% of the bbc

You’re talking shash hmm

OddBoots Sun 12-Nov-17 22:17:33

I think the male voice is very much dominant in the majority of the other BBC programming as well as in the pay scales.

DullAndOld Sun 12-Nov-17 22:19:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AppleKatie Sun 12-Nov-17 22:21:17

0/10 for logic, humour and writing style.

Perhaps your wife could help with your written English next time?

(Is that the sort of response you were looking for?)

WhatWouldGenghisDo Sun 12-Nov-17 22:21:56

I suppose the problem with women talking on the radio for a whole hour is that's a whole hour where men don't get to talk

hmm

hipsterfun Mon 13-Nov-17 00:37:48

Half the population has no voice on the BBC as it is Male

ROFL.

KickAssAngel Mon 13-Nov-17 00:43:59

From your writing, I infer that:
sentence 1 is saying that Garvey/Murrey discriminate against men because they want women to have equal opportunities to men.
sentence 3 is saying the BBC is 100% male, therefore half the population is excluded.

Those two sentences directly contradict each other and neither one of them holds any truth, that's what I think.

Wtfdoipick Mon 13-Nov-17 00:54:07

Can I ask you to think about the name of the show and really think about why it is named as it is.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 13-Nov-17 01:17:39

If women had a voice in the other 23 hours it wouldn't be called 'womens hour', would it? Womens Hour frequently interview men and talk about issues that concern men. You'd know that if you'd ever listened in.

FizzyWaterAndElderflower Mon 13-Nov-17 06:47:57

I'll just leave this here:

buzzfeed

ladyballs Mon 13-Nov-17 07:16:54

grin

AlternativeTentacle Mon 13-Nov-17 07:20:30

as such many of the items discussed discriminate against men

Can you give us say 10 examples of this?

Datun Mon 13-Nov-17 08:23:24

How does feminism discriminate against men?

One example would do.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 13-Nov-17 08:32:17

If women had a voice in the other 23 hours it wouldn't be called 'womens hour',

Thats a very fair point

NonStopDisco Mon 13-Nov-17 08:39:44

women talking... for a whole hour

Well, three-quarters of one!

hipsterfun Mon 13-Nov-17 09:26:40

With a dismal 15 Minute Drama chaser.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:30:01

Maybe depending on who they have on the title should be changed daily

So womans hour (or 45 minutes) and then for the length of time a man is on or they are talking about men so womans 30 minutes, or womans 2.5 minutes

I think that could work...

Ttbb Mon 13-Nov-17 09:32:48

It's called positive discrimination. It's what happens when people are too stupid/lazy to deal with issues faced by minority groups and cover up the inequality by having things like boardroom quotas, female only scholarships (where no equivalent exists for men), tokenism etc.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:45:34

Gid

What must you have thought of childrens hour ttbb

WhatWouldGenghisDo Mon 13-Nov-17 09:58:26

Imagine if for 1 week a year they reversed the proportions of women to men on all media.

Women rambling about this and that on all radio channels with 1 dedicated 'mens hour'

All-female panels discussing topics du jour with female hosts with the odd token man looking awkward on the sidelines

Dramas with mostly-female casts where female characters carry most of the dialogue and action and the male characters are pretty or dead

Etc

Just so men can see what it feels like

Bucketsandspoons Mon 13-Nov-17 10:17:21

declare themselves feminists so the items discussed discriminate against men

Feminist = discrimination against men. Women talking about women and not carefully centering men at all times = omg the horror.

So 'Women's Hour' should be 'Women Talking About Men and Including them More' hour.

Righto grin

GuardianLions Mon 13-Nov-17 10:18:58

Indeed ghengis - and don't forget that when dramas feature storylines around men they are usually about him being raped complete with gratuitous, harrowing flashback scenes of his fear and powerlessness while violent women loom and crow over..

QuentinSummers Mon 13-Nov-17 10:55:54

female only scholarships (where no equivalent exists for men
I think a quota that all courses have to be 50% male, 50% female would be the answer. It would tackle the systematic discrimination that prevents men becoming teachers, nurses and nursery carers. And because the men would only be competing against themselves for the 50%, no positive discrimination is required.
It could extend to graduate programmes at big employers too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now