Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can someone clarify status of Gender Identity stuff in parliament?

(6 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Wed 08-Nov-17 14:04:48

So, recent thread I can’t find right now encouraged me to write to my MP regarding an EDM about Gender Self ID. Transgender Rights EDM 355.

He has responded (!) stating that:

“I would like to reassure you that it is very unlikely that this EDM would become law.

EDMs are formal motions submitted for debate in the House of Commons – however, very few are actually debated never mind translated into law. EDMs are mostly used by an MP or groups of MPs to draw attention to an event or a cause they believe in. They are mostly for publicity purposes and I have a policy of not signing or supporting any.”

So is there something else out there that’s further through ‘the system’ I should be worried about?

SweetGrapes Wed 08-Nov-17 18:32:13

Yes. There is a bill coming up for consultation in autumn (when??!!). Its the GCR amendment.
On the bus with patchy connectivity. Sorry for partial info.

SweetGrapes Wed 08-Nov-17 18:37:45

Sorry - it's GRA

SweetGrapes Wed 08-Nov-17 18:44:34

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-40692782

misscockerspaniel Wed 08-Nov-17 20:53:38

The government has being saying that their proposals will be published this autumn, but no date appears to have been made public.

On Monday 6 November 2017, the Times stated in an article that "...At some point in the coming days or weeks, the government will publish its consultation on the Gender Recognition Act..."

This is what we are awaiting.

FusionChefGeoff Wed 08-Nov-17 22:18:36

Ah OK. Bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now