Talk

Advanced search

Miss Fisher's murder mysteries

(21 Posts)
Ava6 Wed 08-Nov-17 06:27:33

This TV show is an absolute feminist delight (and the book series it's adapted from). There's also a very good (and fun) podcast analysis of it on <themissphisherphiles.com>. Watch it, support it, help fund the upcoming movies (on Kickstarter). We desperately need more female-centric entertainment like this - it's been helping me keep my sanity lately.

Knusper Wed 08-Nov-17 06:47:12

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a go. What age is it suitable from?

FizzyWaterAndElderflower Wed 08-Nov-17 07:38:16

I'd say pretty young - I can't think there's any gore - my 7 year old was watching fine until someone chased someone and shot towards them, but he's really sensitive on this stuff (he can't even watch power rangers - finds it to distressing). My 4 year old isn't interested and didn't care at all about the same scene.

Perhaps fast forward through just to check - I think there's one that involves Egyptian mummies that might frighten kids.

ALittleBitOfButter Wed 08-Nov-17 09:04:33

There's a lot of sex and also a lot of bad acting from a Police Inspector.

It is great but the books are far better.

NeverEverAnythingEver Wed 08-Nov-17 12:06:33

I quite enjoy the books. I don't know how they are filming it but there's a fair bit of sex in the book. grin Where can I watch it?

Ava6 Sun 12-Nov-17 05:26:50

The sex is VERY tame in the show - it all cuts to before and after and there are far fewer seductions.

Which police inspector is guilty of bad acting? The 2 main ones are both pretty brilliant (Jack can do eye sex like no actor I've ever seen grin). Their acting is shaky in the first 4 eps but is great from there on.

Ava6 Sun 12-Nov-17 05:28:41

Phryne is the most liberated female character I've ever seen. She's a female Bond smile

SenorBork Fri 16-Mar-18 16:13:55

Can't believe this isn't more popular! Have just discovered the show after hearing about it on twitter. I suppose the advantage of getting into something late is that there's plenty to binge on - just getting to the end of series one, and still got two to go!

It's so much fun, am loving the costumes and the period detail. Also the 'will they won't they' of Phryne and Jack is very good, and the supporting cast is great. Thanks OP for mentioning the podcast, have been enjoying that too, though there's more gushing about the costumes and less analysis than I'd like. Oh well, can't be too picky I suppose seeing as the show is so unknown here. Thank god for Netflix!

99point9FahrenheitDegrees Fri 16-Mar-18 16:24:05

The visuals and acting are so lovely, but the books are even better! Thoroughly researched and absolutely fascinating. Lovely feminist bits.

SenorBork Fri 16-Mar-18 16:44:27

Once I've got through the TV series I think I'll move on to the books, I hear they're quite different?

CorvusUmbranox Fri 16-Mar-18 16:49:53

Ahem, if you like Miss Fisher, can I STRONGLY recommend the Mrs Bradley Mysteries series with Diana Rigg? They're a few years old now, but frigging wonderful. £6 quid on Amazon. Just a shame they didn't make more.

Waddlelikeapenguin Fri 16-Mar-18 23:07:19

Oh i love this too.
<wanders off to look up Mrs Bradley.....>

ArcheryAnnie Thu 12-Apr-18 10:42:37

I have gone from:

"I need something a bit shit to watch on TV while I hang the washing out/file paperwork/sew buttons on"

to:

"Hmm, this is really rather good"

to:

"I am obsessed and think it's one of the best things I've seen in ages".

It's fantasy - 1920s Australia, and there's a surprising number of open-minded people about - but I could do with a bit of feel-good fantasy at the moment. It's also a fairly cosy murder mystery series, which I am also in the mood for at the mo.

The lead is just WONDERFUL. I adore her. She is a private investigator who is entirely undomestic (has no interest in children and has a lover-of-the-week, who she then discards) and yet has established a "found family" by episode 2. She's reckless, intelligent, pushy and will not be controlled.

The supports are also wonderful - I particularly love Mac, the lead's (very clearly lesbian) best friend, who is a Lady Doctor working in a women's hospital.

There's UST with a police inspector, which has some of the best chemistry I've seen on screen in a while. It's an incredibly unusual portrait of a fairly conventional, monogamous man gradually falling in love with a very unconventional, non-monogamous woman, and it's done incredibly well, with very little possessiveness or jealously. There's an episode in series 2 (the one with the racecar, for those that have already seen it) where the first five minutes has some of the best acting I've seen in a while, and which is worth the price of admission alone.

Also I normally don't give a shit about clothes, but the clothes in this are fantastic.

DontCisgenderMe Thu 12-Apr-18 10:55:37

Ooh, this sounds just my cup of tea! I don't have Netflix, do you know if it's on any other channels?

ArcheryAnnie Thu 12-Apr-18 10:58:28

I don't know! I am tempted by the DVDs as they've got extras, I believe.

MissPiggysKarateChop Thu 12-Apr-18 10:59:24

I keep seeing this flash up and haven't watched it at all. I will now on this recommendation.

Howyoualldoworkme Thu 12-Apr-18 10:59:50

It's on Alibi I think. My DH is a big fan and put me on to it. Funny and stylish and Phrynne is such a good character.
YY to Mrs Bradley as well. Great strong female roles.

MissPiggysKarateChop Thu 12-Apr-18 11:02:38

I've got it on Netflix - just checked. I had already added it to my list. I have some mundane tasks to do today after I've finished some work so I think I'll start watching it.

rowdywoman1 Thu 12-Apr-18 11:12:00

That's my evening's watching sorted then.
Thank you OP.

DontCisgenderMe Thu 12-Apr-18 11:25:52

Thank you Howyoualldoworkme, I've got Alibi and it's on TODAY (and weekdays) at 12pm, then repeated 7pm smile. It seems to be half way through Series 1. Series link set and ready to record!

concretesieve Thu 12-Apr-18 11:43:59

Mrs Bradley <happy sigh>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: