Talk

Advanced search

Kindle app has changed to an image of a boy reading

(25 Posts)
Njordsgrrrl Mon 06-Nov-17 17:54:34

It's very sweet and all but I'm a former primary school teacher and it seems to me it's wrong making a male the default yet again. (And please be kind I've been following this board for years and you've been great altogether)

Ttbb Mon 06-Nov-17 17:55:49

Really? Come on. Grow up.

Redglitter Mon 06-Nov-17 17:57:54

Oh ffs hmm

Honestly do people go hunting for things to be offended about

CherriesInTheSnow Mon 06-Nov-17 18:00:42

confused

LittleBearPad Mon 06-Nov-17 18:02:23

Seriously!

notangelinajolie Mon 06-Nov-17 18:05:14

biscuit

RebeccaNoodles Mon 06-Nov-17 18:05:18

Well ...in short, I just wouldn’t worry about it,

In long:

Boys tend to read less than girls
Reading promotes empathy/understanding of others
So more boys reading is a good thing for feminism!

notangelinajolie Mon 06-Nov-17 18:05:46

And how do you know it's a boy?

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:07:47

What was it before

kimlo Mon 06-Nov-17 18:09:13

well you are the one assuming that short hair and trousers is a boy.

graphena Mon 06-Nov-17 18:10:48

I thought it looked more like a girl with short hair actually

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:12:47

Alright random child

But what was it before...was it a tree?

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:15:38

Just looked on my old app and it still appears to be someone with short hair and trousers under a tree

It doesnt look like they have changed it

To be honest op im torn, i can see your point regarding a 'male' figure but boys are being targeted for reading schemes soooo....i dunno

CaptainKirkssparetupee Mon 06-Nov-17 18:16:03

It's been a silhouetted humanoid, of undetermined gender and age, reading under a tree for years.

doctorcuntybollocks Mon 06-Nov-17 18:17:03

I don't have a physical Kindle but I do have Kindle for PC on my computer. The old logo was a child with short hair reading a book under a tree and facing left. The new logo is a child with short hair reading a book under a tree and facing right. The new image is more detailed and aesthetically pleasing, but it's essentially the same as the old one.

displacementofwater Mon 06-Nov-17 18:18:26

Wrong? Really? Could be a child or a young person of either sex. There's no way to tell really is there?

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:50:23

njords

Is it the 'male' thing or the fact that you thought it had changed thats more annoying

Datun Mon 06-Nov-17 20:13:35

Njordsgrrrl

Maybe they’re trying to encourage boys to read.

Don’t be put off the board, if you get some robust replies!

FizzyWaterAndElderflower Mon 06-Nov-17 20:22:47

I think it's pretty generic really - kid with short hair reading a book - but if it was a boy, that would actually be good, boys need to be encouraged to read more from what I understand (not my eldest... stopping him reading is more the problem).

Having a figure that could be interpreted as male or female is about as good as its going to get I reckon.

Njordsgrrrl Tue 07-Nov-17 07:14:49

Thanks for the replies. True, the figure isn't necessarily male and I agree encouraging boys reading is a good thing. Should've thought it through! It just annoyed me because it made me think of a thread on here once. Search Google images for 'human' and see what you get sort of thing.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 07-Nov-17 07:48:49

njord

I appreciate that we cant tell the sex of the figure but a figure with long hair in our country is usually a girl and short is usually a boy

A skirt is used to donate a girl and trousers a boy

Wrong and stereotypical but if you showed that picture to 100 people and made them pick one or the other i reckon most would say boy

glow1984 Tue 07-Nov-17 07:53:17

1. I do agree that it looks like a boy
2. I don't think it really matters.
3. Following on from the above, there are bigger issues to worry about.

Njordsgrrrl Tue 07-Nov-17 08:13:38

Yeah it is pretty trivial. Male violence and the trans thing in particular. At least in this country. I got an awfully condescending reply from my (Tory) MP ages ago when I wrote to him about the gender bill hmm

NewtsSuitcase Tue 07-Nov-17 08:17:16

Really Op? Quite frankly they could have chosen a boy or a girl and they chose a boy/person with short hair. 50:50 chance. And its actually going against stereotypes not with them.

I really do despair that people spend time trying to find fault with this sort of thing.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:08:33

njord

It doesn't matter if some people find it trivial

It all adds up to the drip drip drip of male as default

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now