Talk

Advanced search

Teachers sexually harassing women on twitter

(7 Posts)
noblegiraffe Sat 04-Nov-17 12:50:52

Men are surprised to find that other men on twitter in a professional capacity (so posting about education) might send unsolicited dick pics or inappropriate messages to other women also on twitter in a professional capacity. They would like to hold teachers to higher standards of behaviour than other populations.

twitter.com/amforrester1/status/926350820173639680

I suppose that the only real surprise is that even teachers feel that they can do this risk-free.

Datun Sat 04-Nov-17 13:29:02

The fact that so many men are surprised, is no surprise. The fact that they are appalled, is.

I’m actually quite heartened by the reaction of the men on that thread. (apart from the predictable creep at the beginning).

TammyswansonTwo Sat 04-Nov-17 15:54:09

Anyone else massively sick of hearing how shocked men are? "I'm a good man and I'm shocked!"

Well you aren't a good enough man to FUCKING LISTEN are you? How is this a shock?!

norahnamechange Sat 04-Nov-17 16:21:16

It gets worse:

www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-views/schools-are-not-immune-virulent-sexual-harassment

noblegiraffe Sat 04-Nov-17 16:26:48

Are the men only finally shocked when it’s happening in their backyard and they can’t ‘other’ the perpetrators? They can’t point to Westminster culture, or Hollywood culture or people hiding behind anonymity and have to accept that even though NAMALT, quite a few are, and even men like them?

Datun Sat 04-Nov-17 18:47:14

noblegiraffe

Yes! Hollywood producers, of course. Sleazy MPs, naturally.

But teachers??? What?

It’s everywhere from the milkman to noblemen. Your brother, uncle, son, and yes, you too.

#VFMALT

Very few men aren’t like that.

nauticant Sat 04-Nov-17 20:46:36

I've been seeing this from men in liberal spaces all over the Internet.

"Well, naturally we know that sexual harassment is wrong, we'd never do it ourselves, but what you're saying means that when we go out to the pub after work in a mixed group we will literally have no idea what we can and can't do."

Of all the different strands, this is the one I find most depressing. This is the one that says that once there's been a handful of scalps, there'll be a big push to put this back in its box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now