Talk

Advanced search

Oh FFS

(14 Posts)
MrsFionaCharming Fri 03-Nov-17 23:25:14

“Young people who aren’t male”

If only there was a word for six people.

MrsFionaCharming Fri 03-Nov-17 23:25:25

*such people

Datun Fri 03-Nov-17 23:35:26

What is wrong with these people?

They’ve even got the woman in the title!

4yoniD Fri 03-Nov-17 23:36:41

If you want a job in science, start by learning about sex....

LyannaStarktheWolfMaid Fri 03-Nov-17 23:45:37

I think they are being inclusive. Young people who don't identify as male, including female, trans, pan, etc.

jenniferl1983 Fri 03-Nov-17 23:56:06

It's ridiculous. We really are heading for a world where there are men in one group (the default one of course) and then everyone else in another aren't we?

Men and the non-men.

ArcheryAnnie Sat 04-Nov-17 00:20:26

I think they might have taken it down - when I looked on their website, it only said "young people".

sweetpotatosteak Sat 04-Nov-17 00:27:51

I'm gender critical and don't see transwomen or non-binary people as "non-male" if they have a sperm producing reproductive system but what about intersex people? Is there an argument for using such language to include them?

MrsFionaCharming Sat 04-Nov-17 00:28:44

That’s interesting Annie, suggests people complained.
I wonder if the nature of the complaints was the entire stupidity of it, or the fact it specifically excluded men.

MrsFionaCharming Sat 04-Nov-17 00:31:06

I think generally intersex people prefer to pick a gender / pronoun and stick with it, rather than broadcasting their private medical information to the world, so wouldn’t want specific language. I’m not intersex though, so could be wrong.

QuentinSummers Sat 04-Nov-17 07:12:58

I think they were probably trying to attract girls who I'D as non-binary. It's really difficult when you have a group of women who are actively rejecting the label....

AdalindSchade Sat 04-Nov-17 07:14:09

People who 'don't identify as male' but who are in fact male are still male

QOFE Sat 04-Nov-17 09:21:16

What if you identify as young even though you're 50?

QuentinSummers Sat 04-Nov-17 10:30:11

adeline I think it's the opposite, they are trying to attract females who dont ID ad female.
I'm guessing a lot of girls who are interested in STEM are pretty gender non conforming and prefer to be described as non-binary

The problem is there are already massive issues about getting females to do especially engineering, this will be compounded if those that are are turned off by the label female.

It's horrendous we are in a situation where simple facts are unspeakable and the label female is so shunned by actual females sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now