Talk

Advanced search

British gymnastics just asked whether my son's gender matches the sex he was assigned at birth.

(74 Posts)
Splandy Mon 30-Oct-17 14:20:18

I've come across the ridiculous notion of sex being assigned before now, but not in a form like this. Is this the way it is now? Have other people come across this? The form asked for his gender, then his sex, then whether the gender he identifies as matches the sex he was assigned at birth. There was no option to choose anything other than male or female for gender, then there was a 'prefer not to say' option for sex and the same for the question on assigned sex. There was no option to say that I refuse to/can't answer the question because it doesn't make sense, so I had to click prefer not to say. Either way, I had to accept that his sex was assigned at birth, rather than observed. Considering sending an email but doubt it'll make a difference.

SavageCabbage Mon 30-Oct-17 14:23:16

I noticed that too. I was all ‘thank fuck for that’ on the first page where they asked if my child was male or female then on another page there was all of that extra stuff. (Assuming you are doing your insurance!)

Splandy Mon 30-Oct-17 14:34:03

Yes, I was. Maybe an email just pointing out that sex isn't assigned at birth... Which I assume the person reading my email will already be fully aware of.

treaclesoda Mon 30-Oct-17 14:35:56

I had this too when I registered my son the other day. I was aghast. He's five, he has no concept of identifying as anything. Unless you include identifying as Hulk, which he spends a lot of time doing.

OuchBollocks Mon 30-Oct-17 14:37:33

My 3 year old DD identified as Batman the other day, should I have ticked no when i was completing the form? I did eye roll, its for preschoolers ffs.

susurration Mon 30-Oct-17 14:38:27

I've just been asked this in a bloody job application!

DJBaggySmalls Mon 30-Oct-17 14:41:29

susurration But surely trans adults wouldnt have to answer that anyway? They get full protection from the point they start the process of applying for a GRC confused

Splandy Mon 30-Oct-17 14:42:04

Mine isn't a preschooler, he's 9. He's also aware that he's male because of his undeniable male biology, not because of his likes and dislikes. Gah.

Splandy Mon 30-Oct-17 14:52:33

Well mine had a 'prefer not to say' option, so perhaps they could just choose that. It pissed me off because I didn't just fancy not telling them, I thought the question was stupid and I disagreed with it. Answering it in any way meant agreeing that sex is assigned. It's like asking somebody what their assigned date of birth is, then how old they feel inside, then whether the two match up. When was it globally accepted that sex is assigned at birth??

Splandy Mon 30-Oct-17 14:55:13

Do they think a doctor just walks down the corridor of the maternity unit alternately shouting out "boy" and "girl"? I can't even begin to think of any explanation or argument which could convince somebody that sex is assigned, so why am I now having to argue that it isn't? Where has this come from? My mind is blown.

treaclesoda Mon 30-Oct-17 14:58:48

I didn't like the 'prefer not to say' option because I felt that by default it sounds like you believe in this crap. Which I don't.

eddiemairswife Mon 30-Oct-17 15:02:05

I knew a boy who identified as a tram when he was 10. He later became a C of E priest'

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 30-Oct-17 15:13:53

Yep, saw that too when registering and was going to post about it. Will do my best to email them, if I don’t forget that too!

Blanchefleur Mon 30-Oct-17 15:31:29

Is this whole 'assigned at birth' stuff an attempt to link trans to intersex conditions? The only way it makes sense is if there was some ambiguity with the genitals at birth, so the child was 'assigned' what seemed the most likely sex at the time.

If so, it's rather distasteful to try to appropriate someone else's genuine, physical medical condition to try to give the impression that there is something wrong with your perfectly healthy body too.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Mon 30-Oct-17 15:34:27

Sex assigned at birth is such a nonsense anyway.

It's not assigned. It's merely observed.

BarbarianMum Mon 30-Oct-17 16:22:39

So what is a "female gender" exactly? I have the biology of a woman, I've been raised as a woman, I know I am a woman (see above) but I don't "feel like a woman" because I don't know what that feels like and don't assume all women feel the same in some way. I just feel like me. confused

I am sexually attracted to men, dislike the colour pink, dresses/skirts/ make up, have no interest in my appearance or fashion or football or cars, prefer crime drama and thrillers to romcoms. Like Pride and Prejudice though. Also Silence of the Lambs but don't think farting is funny. What am I?

QueenLetizia Mon 30-Oct-17 16:26:23

Gawd!

AlexsMum89 Mon 30-Oct-17 16:29:55

Sounds like a riddle @BarbarianMum !

BarbarianMum Mon 30-Oct-17 16:30:58

Well apparently it is.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 30-Oct-17 16:34:17

I dunno, maybe the reason they are asking for all this guff is so they can identify kids as their actual sex, not their made-up gender, and if they just put "boy or girl" you might get little Johnny's parents, who like to think of themselves as progressive, but who are nonetheless anxious at little Johnny liking pink, ticking "girl"? I think it could go either way!

2014newme Mon 30-Oct-17 16:36:07

Yep just done my dds registration, it barking mad! I find the phrase 'assigned at birth' particularly odd

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 30-Oct-17 16:43:52

Ooh I shall eagerly await this addition for dds' annual information form check..

Why would they need to do this anyway? They need to know the sex on a biological basis as techniques mat jeed to he altered slightly depending on whether it's a bit or girl doing it but unless they plan on treating the kids differently in other ways it surely is irrelevant? confused

OpalIridescence Mon 30-Oct-17 16:46:49

This question featured on a university enrollment form I was looking at recently.
Was on the same page as name, address, phone number. Think it will become a standard question soon.

feelslikearockandahardplace Mon 30-Oct-17 16:49:56

I noticed the same thing. Never know where it will crop up next.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 30-Oct-17 16:51:41

University shock

Surely well educated people who teach and attend unis know gender is all bollocks? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now