Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh, the irony

(9 Posts)
whoputthecatout Fri 27-Oct-17 11:41:21

www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/27/us-teenager-who-won-golf-competition-denied-trophy-because-she-is-a-girl

So, a transgender woman can enter a female competition and win prizes (think cycling for example) but a real girl cannot enter a male competition, win and accept a prize.

(Yes, I know it's the rule of this competition and she's not complaining but it does highlight that with transgender women it's "heads I win, tails you lose".

Holowiwi Fri 27-Oct-17 11:50:37

Wouldn't she have to be a transgender boy for your comparison to work?

WitchBitchHarpyTerfThatsMe Fri 27-Oct-17 11:50:48

That's exactly what I thought when I read it this morning. Maybe she should've declared that she 'felt' like a boy!

whoputthecatout Fri 27-Oct-17 12:11:08

Yes, if she had declared she felt like a boy maybe she would have been allowed to keep the prize (though I wouldn't hold my breath on that one).

But the point I was trying, perhaps badly, to make is that you get denied a prize because you are a real female but allowed to have one because you are a faux female.

So a faux female is favoured over a real one.

jellyfrizz Fri 27-Oct-17 12:36:41

I think Sophie Walker on twitter sums it up:

Girls can play as part of a team but not win as individuals." Feel familiar?

jellyfrizz Fri 27-Oct-17 12:37:41

I don't think this case has anything to do with gender identity, just the usual sexism.

upperlimit Fri 27-Oct-17 12:40:22

But she is wearing trousers, flat shoes and no make-up?

So confused. She is clearly presenting as a male.

Ttbb Fri 27-Oct-17 12:43:08

Ok, but a trans woman wouldn't have been allowed it either so what's your point?

nauticant Fri 27-Oct-17 13:08:58

Who says a trans woman wouldn't have been awarded victory? It is a competition for males and a trans woman is male and so should be entitled to be declared the winner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now