Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I’m starting to think it’s all a big exercise in satire.

(27 Posts)
CredulousThickos Thu 26-Oct-17 11:18:35

I mean, really. It seems like a game of ‘let’s see how far we can push this joke until people cotton on it’s all a wind up’.

Except I know it’s not really, and it is deeply disturbing. I mean seriously Through The Looking Glass, psychedelic mind bending disturbing.

broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/bjx8xm/the-shockingly-convincing-argument-that-severus-snape-is-transgender

Datun Thu 26-Oct-17 11:23:30

They could always just ask J. K. Rowling. Who I believe is gender critical and doesn’t appear to have much sympathy with trans-anything.

SapphireSeptember Thu 26-Oct-17 13:27:24

This is just getting silly now, sadly Mr Rickman is no longer alive to tell them to do one, as I'm sure he would. I'm sure I remember reading this a while ago and being gobsmacked then.
Out of all the characters in the Harry Potter world Severus Snape was the one I identified with the most when I was reading those books as a messed up teenager (and still is in a way) I don't care that he's a fictional man and I'm a woman, sometimes these things click. (And he is an utter bastard, a glorious bastard, but a bastard none the less.)
Ms Rowling just went up in my estimation, her Trump baiting is incredibly entertaining, finding out she's critical of the current craziness is wonderful news.
It's like of all the crap the trans activists are pushing, this is like the cherry on top of the crappy cake. The reasoning behind this nonsense is just ridiculous. Loopy handwriting and wearing your mum's old shirt does not a woman make. His family were incredibly poor and he didn't have any siblings who could pass down clothes, what else were they going to do? (Which makes me wonder how little these people understand poverty.)

MoistCantaloupe Thu 26-Oct-17 16:28:34

Loopy handwriting and wearing your mum's old shirt does not a woman make

Oh, but he also has long hair! What other evidence does one need that someone is in fact, completely a woman?

The is completely the opposite of progression. If you are a man who has feminine handwriting and wore a female's shirt you MUST be a woman, that is the only explanation for it.

OlennasWimple Thu 26-Oct-17 16:33:29

I've been hoping for some time that D Muscato is just a big troll, playing a very long game of the Emperor's New Clothes....

Poppyred85 Thu 26-Oct-17 17:14:42

Sorry I really couldn't do anything but laugh at that article. They really are clutching at straws to support the delusional idea that Snape was a transwoman. I think it just demonstrates how desperate they are to try and include as many people in the trans umbrella as possible. To me, the fact that they're so invested in it that they have their own week of "Snape is trans" iOS just funny. At least he's only fictional rather than the insistent transing of important historical women that refused to conform to societal expectations.

SapphireSeptember Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:26

Oh, but he also has long hair! What other evidence does one need that someone is in fact, completely a woman?

But what about Dumbledore, Lucius and Sirius? And about 60% of the rock/metal/goth scene (who sometimes wear makeup or nail polish as well) must be transwomen too! (I still maintain my position that Snape is a Goth, all that black...) I am of course being deeply sarcastic, it's reinforcing stupid gender stereotypes that make me rather angry.
There's also a small group of men who are open about wearing makeup (Manny MUA springs to mind, who I love) who aren't part of the above scenes, but are just going and doing what makes them happy without stupid labels.
(Anyway, I lost my first reply so I hope this made sense.)

Gingernaut Thu 26-Oct-17 18:30:17

So had Lemmy, so has Jon Bon Jovi, Brian May and ZZ Top.

I don't see them transing soon.

Is that a verb? confused

MoistCantaloupe Thu 26-Oct-17 18:36:57

@Gingernaut...You do know my long hair comment was sarcastic?

MoistCantaloupe Thu 26-Oct-17 18:41:24

Sorry, I didn't realise I had to point the sarcasm out in a sentence that said "What other evidence does one need that someone is in fact, completely a woman?", in a feminist chat room. But will be sure to do so next time wink

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Thu 26-Oct-17 18:41:31

All Blue Angels - All transgender. Girls on bikes. Would love to be there when that charge was given

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Thu 26-Oct-17 18:44:06

Hairy Bikers with their long hair too. And they like cooking. <taps nose>

SapphireSeptember Thu 26-Oct-17 19:06:28

Assigned thlgrin

Gingernaut Thu 26-Oct-17 19:08:07

Yeah. I get sarcasm. Don't worry, MoistCantaloupe. grin

RebelFreddyVSRogueJason Thu 26-Oct-17 19:25:25

Bucketsandspoons Thu 26-Oct-17 20:16:36

I belong to a book club and we've had this with a trans member, insisting that a certain character must be trans. Most recently it was a character who was a gay man, and they insisted he was actually trans because 'he was too nurturing and had too many women's interests' - ie in the plot he enjoyed cooking.

So either homophobic (real gay men aren't like that) or kind of throwing on its head the whole gender argument, because I keep reading about people knowing they were transmen because they liked powerdrills and the colour blue, so surely women's interests aren't in keeping anyway? Way too confusing.

The group had to adopt a policy of no discussion of RL politics in any form, using Brexit as a cover story (ooh the nasty divisions). Actually it was the only way to avoid the group having to spend most of every meeting applauding the TRA meme of the day.

IndominusRex Thu 26-Oct-17 21:50:45

What the feck did I just read?

user1487175389 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:53:56

He's sort of non binary Trans Evil isn't he? grin

user1487175389 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:55:26

Alan Rickman's up there somewhere going "I knew I should have told them to go easy on the pan-stick"

underkerstumbled Thu 26-Oct-17 21:58:48

"A shockingly convincing argument..."
A gargantuan load of cobblers, more like.

SapphireSeptember Thu 26-Oct-17 22:02:52

He's sort of non binary Trans Evil isn't he? grin

Er, what?

IndominusRex That about sums it up. I'm still in shock! I was clearly so stunned from the last time I'd read this drivel I'd blotted it from my memory. Dunderheads!

Tinycitrus Thu 26-Oct-17 22:05:25

I really think the people buying into this need to get out in the fresh air for a bit, perhaps interact with the real world rather than a kids book.

SapphireSeptember Thu 26-Oct-17 22:06:24

Mr Rickman I imagine, is swearing loudly and making rude gestures. He seemed quite fond of his character, I think this would tip him over the edge.

Tinycitrus Thu 26-Oct-17 22:09:00

Even though "the result is never confirmed," he continued, it is also "never outright denied."

Keep going Sherlock...hmm

OlennasWimple Thu 26-Oct-17 22:35:38

There is a strong community of people who believe Snape is trans—and they've got data to support it.

I don't think the author knows what data actually means...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now