Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The decolonise Cambridge row

(6 Posts)
WishfulThanking Wed 25-Oct-17 20:03:19

I've not seen any discussions on MN of the treatment of Lola Olufemi in the media after her open letter to the university, or indeed discussing the letter. (Not seen any on the Eni Oluko story either, but that's by the by).

Story is www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/25/decolonise-cambridge-university-row-attack-students-colour-lola-olufemi-curriculums

I know it is a race issue, but also it's a misogyny issue too. (Also there doesn't seem to be a 'race issues' board). Typing on phone, so apologies for the not very eloquent OP, but what are people's thoughts?

WishfulThanking Wed 25-Oct-17 20:07:41

Cambridge university have just released a statement condemning the harassment.

QuentinSummers Wed 25-Oct-17 22:31:29

Interesting article, I didn't know anything about this.
I think there is a backlash about "diversity generally at the moment, with wilful misquoting and accusations of PC gorn mad so I'm not surprised sadly.
White washing of history/literature and the exclusions of women's achievements is rife.

PricklyBall Wed 25-Oct-17 22:50:57

I think Quentin is right - it's part of a broader spectrum of "PC gorn mad" backlash. And so senseless, since as pointed out both by Olufemi, and by various Cambridge academics in support of her, it's about broadening and enriching the curriculum, not "replacing" bits of it.

I think FWR is as good a place as any - we've had several BAME posters put up useful threads on feminism and racism in the past, and "misogynoir" as a particularly virulent form of prejudice to be subjected to (hopefully I've listened and learned from those threads).

We've discussed Eni Oluko a bit in the Pub, and on a football thread a while back. I remember being really surprised in the summer to see her commentating rather than playing because she's one of my heroes and should have been absolutely at her prime for this summer's Euros - then I read the coverage of what had happened to her and was completely shocked. So glad Sampson's finally gone, though it doesn't seem like the FA's actually dealing with the underlying problem that effectively.

WishfulThanking Thu 26-Oct-17 11:43:39

You're right, Quitelikely. With Trump and Brexit it is now 'allowed'.

Thanks, Prickly, I was starting to despair that nobody really cares about this. The Eni Oluko story was massive, and I think not just relating to black women, but women, full stop. Yet I couldn't find a single thread on it anywhere (I need to start going to the pub, clearly grin)

The tribunal system is not set up so that people can easily take discrimination cases to court. Eni managed to succeed, mainly because she is a lawyer and obviously very bright.

Thanks for the term 'misogynoir'...I have never heard it before.

QuentinSummers Thu 26-Oct-17 20:22:57

I just don't even know where to start with Eni Oluko. It's been so misreported as "FA looked into it, not racism" and the behaviour of the rest of the team and Mark Samson.
I don't know whether it's misogynoir or whether black male players are also getting that crap.
Generally though I resent how much football dominates the media so I don't listen to a lot of news about football.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now