Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The War on Women 99p on kindle

(34 Posts)
jamaisjedors Tue 24-Oct-17 09:59:32

Just in case anyone is interested, the War on Women, a collection by the journalist Sue Lloyd Roberts is on offer this month for 99p on Amazon (kindle).

I am currently reading it, obviously the subject matter is really tough (Fgm, sex trafficking... But also unequal pay into the UK) but it is well written and "easy" to understand even if you don't have in depth knowledge of the subjects discussed.

Also, despite the subject matter, I like that she also focuses on the women who are standing up and speaking out against these atrocities.

SelmaAndJubjub Tue 24-Oct-17 10:01:26

Thank you - purchased smile

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 24-Oct-17 10:05:04

I've read that. Harrowing. Informative. And brilliantly written.

BetsyM00 Tue 24-Oct-17 10:16:41

Thanks, just bought it too.

MadamMinacious Tue 24-Oct-17 10:34:23

Thank you - about to get it

Laurapalmer90 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:11:14

Thanks, just bought it.

clairedunphy Tue 24-Oct-17 13:14:10

Thanks, bought it too.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:28:21

Thank you

Will buy it

jamaisjedors Tue 24-Oct-17 19:19:56

Great to see so many people interested. Maybe we can chat about it in a month or so?

Anlaf Tue 24-Oct-17 19:23:17

I bought it too

adds to towering digital pile of kindle books still to read

a review point in a month might be an excellent reason to make time to read it!

doctorcuntybollocks Tue 24-Oct-17 20:06:03

I bought it this afternoon and have so far read the chapers on FGM and the treatment of women in India.

MeatAndPotato Tue 24-Oct-17 20:11:40

Purchasssssed smile

Notlostjustexploring Tue 24-Oct-17 20:20:20

Downloaded.

I hate you people. The amount of books I've bought off the back of feminism chat is going to send me into insolvency!*

But seriously, thank you for the recommendation and I look forward to future discussions.

*My last one bought following a recommendation here was "feminist fight club". Excellent, excellent book.

jamaisjedors Tue 24-Oct-17 20:55:51

So, in a month ?

Or shall we start chatting now doctorwink?

doctorcuntybollocks Tue 24-Oct-17 21:30:00

I've just finished the chapter on Saudi Arabia.

I'm prone to pulsatile tinnitus anyway, but my ears are now buzzing particularly loudly with rage. (Oddly, I have completely normal blood pressure.)

The thing that has struck me again and again through the three chapters I've read so far is the disingenuousness of the men giving religious justifications for abusing women. They don't believe a word they're saying.

jamaisjedors Tue 24-Oct-17 21:32:55

Yes the religious element make me want to vomit.

Am haunted by the sheer numbers of cases of Fgm, I think I protected myself by imagining it was far far less widespread than it actually is.

Am also feeling less proud of my Irish heritage after chapter 3.

doctorcuntybollocks Tue 24-Oct-17 21:58:13

I haven't learned much that's new because I'm fairly well-informed on many of these issues anyway, but it's useful (and weirdly invigorating) to have so many different instantiations of the cruelty of male self-interest laid out in one place.

My head will probably explode when I get to the chapter about the Congo.

Notlostjustexploring Tue 24-Oct-17 22:07:47

I think I'm only on page 4 and I already feel sick. I'm so used to seeing the acronym FGM in the news it has become sanitised, it is hammering the point home that it is indeed, mutilation, and so many girls are put through that.sad

badbadhusky Tue 24-Oct-17 22:10:07

I downloaded it but the last few posts are making me think I won’t read on my upcoming holiday.

littlechou Tue 24-Oct-17 23:14:36

Just bought it.

And marking my place for a book club style discussion grin

Notlostjustexploring Wed 25-Oct-17 21:29:58

"in which women are regarded as the embodiment of sin."

This seems to be quite the common theme throughout. I can't even begin to express my anger and disgust.

I'm only on chapter 4, but I already feel humbled at the sheer grit shown by these women.

doctorcuntybollocks Thu 26-Oct-17 12:15:09

I've just finished the chapter on the Magdalene Laundries. Once again I'm struck by the conviction that these 'deeply religious' people have no belief in god whatsoever: their god is just a sockpuppet to endorse their decision to do whatever they were going to do anyway.

doctorcuntybollocks Thu 26-Oct-17 15:26:57

I've now read the Forced Marriage and Honour Killing chapters.
What jumps out here is the way in which white 'anti-racism' tends to manifest itself as a willingness to listen to the men in minority communities while ignoring and belittling the women.

hesterton Thu 26-Oct-17 15:29:37

Thanks for the heads up. Just purchased.

jamaisjedors Thu 26-Oct-17 15:31:39

Absolutely doctor.

It is painful to think how much all the tip-toing around to not be accused of racism has impacted women's lives.

I am also struck by how changes in the law which in theory aim to help women, in reality seem to make things worse (honour killings chapter).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now