Talk

Advanced search

Gender ID Bill - Trying to make a fact sheet

(7 Posts)
MrsFionaCharming Mon 23-Oct-17 21:58:13

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a fact-sheet I can share with friends, and send to MPs etc, which very simply outlines the biggest problems with the gender ID bill.

I'm trying to include statistics and facts to back up each point, so that people who don't know much about it can see at a glance how it will afect them.

I've split it into 4 categories / headings, and I'm hoping to get one simple and concise paragraph for each. Can anyone take a look at what I've got so far and critique / give ideas?

I'm not the best at this type of writing, and I'm a bit pissed off that I have to waste my evening doing this to protect my rights!

Thanks smile

Sports – As a sex, men are taller, stronger and faster than women. They have a higher percentage of twitch muscle fibres and a bigger lung capacity.
In the London Marathon 2017, the fastest man completed the race in 2:05:48, whereas the fastest woman took 2:17:01. This means that overall, the fastest woman place 20th in the race.
Two trans-women (born men) compete at the Rio Olympics as women, taking the chance away from two biological women. A spokesperson for them told the media that “if they were in a gold or silver ¬position they’d probably drop back because their fear of ridicule is so massive.” So despite the opportunity to compete for their country being removed from the 2 women who lost places to the transgender athletes, the athletes weren’t even planning to try and win.

Privacy and Dignity

Crime Statistics
Currently crime statistics show that men commit the majority of crime, and the vast majority of violent crime. If men are allowed to self-identify as women, this will skew the statistics, and we will see rates of crime amongst women artificially elevated.

Female Only Spaces
46% of women in custody have suffered Domestic Violence in the past and 53% suffered emotional, physical, or sexual abuse as a child. 84% of women is custody have committed non-violent crimes, the most common being theft (48% on inmates). For the year 2012, men were responsible for 88% of crimes against the person, 90% of murders, and 98% of sexual offenses. Allowing male inmates to self-identify as female, and be transferred to women’s prisons, often means putting violent men in with vulnerable women who have already suffered at the hands of men. Women in custody need to be protected, not to be locked away with sex offenders who are larger and stronger than them.
This bill will also damage women’s rights to privacy and dignity in medical settings. Women will no longer be able to request a female doctor for an intimate examination, and be sure of getting one. They will also be forced to share hospital wards with female-identifying patients whilst at their most vulnerable.

(Alternatively, if you know of one of these that already exists, please point me toward it!)

Anlaf Mon 23-Oct-17 22:08:44

Here is one that already exists - but there is much use in having your own info for your mp letter etc

sages.org.uk/publications/sages-factsheet.html

Anlaf Mon 23-Oct-17 22:14:46

And here is lots more info on stats and back ground to the bill www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/2995738-Gender-ID-bill-Gender-Critical-To-Do-List

There is also this with even more! www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/2877199-Gender-Critical-Reference-Thread

One v important thing - if you can write to your mp and raise points that you think will get the point across, e.g. if they care about sports, raise sports, if they care about women's issues, then talk about the impact on sex based protections, etc...

Prisons, refuges and sports are probably the core issues for an mp letter.

MrsFionaCharming Mon 23-Oct-17 22:16:00

That all looks really helpful, thank you!

BriechonCheese Mon 23-Oct-17 23:21:48

Following along, in order to find details to send to friends.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 23-Oct-17 23:36:54

You can add healthcare. Women who are abuse survivors or from certain religions need a female doctor. At the moment we have the right to ask for female staff, after gender self ID is introduced that will no longer be the case.

WitchBitchHarpyTerfThatsMe Tue 24-Oct-17 00:29:45

Both my best friend of 40 years and my twenty one year old SD were drugged and raped within 2 weeks of each other 3 years ago. They both had the choice of seeing female medical practioners and counsellors.

If the GRA amendment goes ahead other women who are sexually assaulted will have no such choice. Even if they ask for a female professional they may find themselves in stirrups with a bearded obvious bloke who self identifies as a 'woman'. Ditto the counsellor who they need to see to process the trauma and fear their assaults left them with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now