Talk

Advanced search

Second Coren disappointment of the weekend

(524 Posts)
hipsterfun Sun 22-Oct-17 10:54:38

Victoria reinforces sexist ideas to undermine female athletes

Karo Swen is an athlete and this is no different from asymmetric bars.

CredulousThickos Sun 22-Oct-17 10:57:59

Nope. I agree with her. I can appreciate that it takes training and skill, but that doesn’t negate its incredibly dodgy origins. It has no place in the olympics.

TittyGolightly Sun 22-Oct-17 10:59:23

Karo Swen is incredible.

The Coren woman is a twat.

TittyGolightly Sun 22-Oct-17 10:59:40

Didn't it originate in circuses?

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 22-Oct-17 11:00:17

I don't agree with you, I think is a good article and I really don't want pole dancing to be an Olympic sport. It is not at all like the a-bars or high bar, in origin or intent.

AnyFucker Sun 22-Oct-17 11:01:37

I agree Karo is an incredible athlete

That does not change the origins of pole dancing and I find it a pity she has chosen to use her undoubted skills in this particular way

AnyFucker Sun 22-Oct-17 11:02:53

And Victoria just gave her dickhead brother a masterclass in how to use irony

CredulousThickos Sun 22-Oct-17 11:03:16

She is incredible. But if it’s a serious sport, why is she in a tiny bikini? Why the splits in said bikini so that you can see the shape of her labia? Why the hair flicking and gyrating?

It’s a sexualised performance. And it’s problematical in the extreme.

TittyGolightly Sun 22-Oct-17 11:03:28

You're kidding. It requires stamina, strength, flexibility and artistry. It's much more challenging than any floor routine which requires the same skills.

TittyGolightly Sun 22-Oct-17 11:04:45

What do female gymnasts wear? They have to wear high cut leotards with no pants. How is this any different?

What about female beach volleyball players?

AnyFucker Sun 22-Oct-17 11:04:56

No, it's not more challenging than eg. gymnastic floor skills

DancingLedge Sun 22-Oct-17 11:05:15

I think she's got a good point.
Karo Seen is obviously skilled and athletic: but the origins and overtones are still there. Why a bikini?

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 22-Oct-17 11:05:20

"It requires stamina, strength, flexibility and artistry. It's much more challenging than any floor routine which requires the same skills."

I'm sure it does. That doesn't change how I feel about it. It's a sexualised performance to sexually excite a male audience. That's not a sport.

TittyGolightly Sun 22-Oct-17 11:06:37

I see nothing sexual in the posted video at all. She's pole dancing as a sport - showing what her body can do. Not waggling her arse and getting her tits out.

TittyGolightly Sun 22-Oct-17 11:07:04

A presumably men will be free to compete if they want to.

palmfronds Sun 22-Oct-17 11:07:10

I'm afraid I agree with her as well! You may need to have the body of an athlete to be good at it but the Olympics isn't about 'being fit' it's about sport, which pole dancing definitely is not.

AnyFucker Sun 22-Oct-17 11:09:09

IMO, the folks that consider pole dancing a "sport" think that burlesque is "empowering"

TittyGolightly Sun 22-Oct-17 11:09:38

Fairly sure perpendicular gravity is harder to work against than vertical gravity.

Women spin around asymmetric bars and do the splits and hold positions wearing high cut leotards and no pants. Where's the difference?

hipsterfun Sun 22-Oct-17 11:14:25

why is she in a tiny bikini? Why the splits in said bikini so that you can see the shape of her labia?

Bare skin is necessary for grip in pole.

There are technical reasons why track athletes, male and female, wear what they wear.

CredulousThickos Sun 22-Oct-17 11:17:19

Really? Aah that must be why we see male athletes topless and wearing a thong all the time.

Sports is a mainly sexist world anyway, although it’s getting better. Putting Pole Dancing in the mix is a giant leap backwards.

Loraline Sun 22-Oct-17 11:17:52

It's incredibly athletic but it's performance art, not a sport.

Ballet is incredibly athletic and skillful. So is hip hop. They're not Olympic sports though. Leaving aside the problematic amd sexual origins, dance is not a sport in the Olympic sense

Flyinggeese Sun 22-Oct-17 11:30:26

TittyGolightly did pole dancing originate in circuses? I didn't know that.

PurpleDaisies Sun 22-Oct-17 11:31:32

I agree with loraline. It's performance art not a sport.

flyingpigsinclover Sun 22-Oct-17 11:31:45

Pole dancing doesn't belong at the Olympics. Ditto the skimpy bikinis worn in beach volleyball.

NeurodiverseNancy Sun 22-Oct-17 11:34:56

It's a sport, it requires incredible strength, skill and artistry. I've been to see a friend's pole show and very little of it was "sexy" pole. What you'd see down a strip club is very different to what you'd see in a pole competition.

Pole dancers need bare arms, tummies and thighs/legs to grip on to the pole.

Anyway, why are we shaming women for doing a sport they enjoy that keeps them fit and strong? This is massively ignoring a woman's agency to choose what she does with her body.

Have heard from this friend that the inclusion is likely to be Chinese pole rather than pole fitness anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now