Talk

Advanced search

Snowflake Books

(38 Posts)
Stopmakingsense Thu 19-Oct-17 08:27:11

If you need some light but very incisive commentary on what is wrong with identity politics:

https://lilymaynard.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/the-snowflake-books/

NightmareMonkey Thu 19-Oct-17 09:23:38

There is nothing "wrong" with Identity politics. It may be a branch of politics you disagree with, however that doesn't make it wrong. You need to educate yourself.

Ereshkigal Thu 19-Oct-17 09:26:36

No, maybe you do. Yes you may have a different opinion. Great. That doesn't mean she needs to educate herself.

ownedbySWD Thu 19-Oct-17 09:45:19

Thanks for sharing the link.

SweetGrapes Thu 19-Oct-17 09:47:18

Thanks for the link

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 19-Oct-17 09:51:14

Are you this relativist about everything, NightmareMonkey?

Datun Thu 19-Oct-17 10:34:38

There is nothing "wrong" with Identity politics.

How long have you got?

Knusper Thu 19-Oct-17 10:39:30

You need to educate yourself.

On what?

terryleather Thu 19-Oct-17 10:49:31

I did educate myself NightmareMonkey, that's how I know it's a load of bs.

SymbollocksInteractionism Thu 19-Oct-17 11:04:21

I love these!! 😂😂

Stopmakingsense Thu 19-Oct-17 11:05:13

I am educating myself - by thinking critically.

Elendon Thu 19-Oct-17 11:09:11

Enjoyed that link. Thank you for sharing. Some of my favourite Ladybird books on there.

I'm always forgetting that there are male Ladybirds too. (joke!)

terryleather Thu 19-Oct-17 11:15:37

Lily's work on those books is genius, I've seen some of them before but now "The Wolf-Exclusionary Radical Piglets & How They Got What Was Coming To Them" has just made me snort coffee over my keyboard.

Lily Maynard I salute you!

Datun Thu 19-Oct-17 11:24:42

Lily’s own daughter came out as trans then detransitioned. So she knows what she’s talking about.

Elendon Thu 19-Oct-17 11:44:31

I'm reminded of this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpjrzkuiM6M

Schtinkay Thu 19-Oct-17 11:50:52

Totally agree.

IMO identity politics is a load of toss

Elendon Thu 19-Oct-17 11:51:26

And this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQ9T2Lpq48

BMacklin Thu 19-Oct-17 11:51:27

These are brilliant. I've not finished looking at it but I hope there's a "I'm non binary and like both girl and boy things. I like to think I'm special though feminists tell me this is normal and everything they've been fighting for for hundreds of years" book.

SentimentalLentil Thu 19-Oct-17 13:28:04

What do those videos have to do with anything? Am I missing something?

Terrylene Thu 19-Oct-17 13:37:58

It is using child friendly material (cartoons, sweets, puppies) to bring down barriers with children, so that they are more receptive to what you want to tell them.

The GIRES education information uses cartoon penguins. The 3-6 year old info even says Understanding gender diversity starts here, at primary school level, before children’s views become influenced by the prejudices of the adults around them. In law, gender diversity is as important as race and ethnicity diversity

This is what inspired the Snowflake Books.

Terrylene Thu 19-Oct-17 13:48:27

When my eldest started school, there was a booklet that a group brought out. They wanted all children to receive it. It was very well meaning. It was supposed to tell very young children what would happen if their parents split up and reassure them.

Unfortunately, they did not realise (or chose not to realise as it did not fit their agenda) that this was really disturbing for small children whose parents were not splitting up and who were too young to have ever contemplated it as a possibility. It was completely undermining to their view of what was safe in the world.

Some schools decided to have the leaflet and keep it in the office for any families that felt they might need it.

These 'education resources' remind me so much of that. There are so many groups, who like the Jesuits of old, feel they can change the world by instilling their beliefs into young children, away from their parents.

Terrylene Thu 19-Oct-17 13:49:48

(that is the gires penguin stuff, not the snowflake books - they are for the adults wink )

Elendon Thu 19-Oct-17 14:05:38

The Mermaids' twitter feed from the link, if you actually read the link that is.

SentimentalLentil Thu 19-Oct-17 14:29:05

Well pardon me for asking a question.

just5morepeas Thu 19-Oct-17 14:44:47

The Rumplestiltskin and the Three Little Pigs ones are brilliant. xD

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: