Talk

Advanced search

Musician who murdered girlfriend French cover star

(20 Posts)
TheLuminaries Wed 18-Oct-17 13:38:59

So this singer battered his girlfriend to death, only served 4 years, and is now being feted by the French music press.

unbelievably wrong

Although the magazine has come into criticism, this seem largely because of the timing in relation to Harvey Weinstein. I find the minimising of violence against women so depressing - nothing has changed. Polanski and Woody Allen are still indie darlings. Only uncool performers like Gary Glitter seem to be beyond the pale. If leftie, cool men like you, then women are just collateral damage.

Ereshkigal Wed 18-Oct-17 13:48:03

That's awful. Why did the fucker only get 8 years in the first place?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 18-Oct-17 13:57:29

If leftie, cool men like you, then women are just collateral damage

It is not just leftie cool men. Whoopie Goldberg and Meryl Streep for example ? Streep giving Polanski a standing ovation and Goldberg's comment about him not committing "rape rape".

Re leftie cool men - Ben Shapiro ( right wing libertarian) has a video commenting that even where actresses "consented " to sex with Weinstein the power imbalance invidates any notion of consent.

tribpot Wed 18-Oct-17 14:02:17

he magazine acknowledged the timing of the cover, which was released as the Weinstein case was exploding, was inopportune

Er, WTF. There is no day when it is acceptable to put such a person on the front cover of a music magazine. Christ, is this what we can expect from Pistorius as well? At least with him there is a possibility that he didn't intend to kill Reeva Steenkamp (although clearly the South African courts didn't agree) but this guy knowingly beat Marie Trintignant to a pulp and waited hours to call an ambulance.

TheLuminaries Wed 18-Oct-17 14:14:37

Pistorius is another good comparison - so many people feeling sorry for him. I found this so shocking as he actually battered a woman to death, yet people will still buy his music and have him posing for 'cool' magazine covers.

It makes me think all the hand wringing about Harvey Weinstein is just deflection and hypocrisy as other men can continue to have a free pass to abuse and kill women.

ButtMuncher Wed 18-Oct-17 14:17:36

This makes me feel physically sick. I can't comprehend why anybody thought it would be appropriate in ANY climate, particularly recently.

Ereshkigal Wed 18-Oct-17 14:30:50

Er, WTF. There is no day when it is acceptable to put such a person on the front cover of a music magazine.

YY.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Wed 18-Oct-17 14:43:28

Jeez so rape allegations are supposed to ruin a man's career and yet here we have a man who has been jailed for murdering his girlfriend who is still being feted as a superstar...

TheLuminaries Wed 18-Oct-17 14:48:51

That is a good point, all the concern about false accusations and should the accused have anonymity because the stain of the accusation is so great, even if they are innocent. When the reality is you can get away with beating a woman to death and in a few years your career is good to go again.

BadenBadenBadenBaden Wed 18-Oct-17 16:33:37

In an interview in 2013, he said it was awful being a symbol of woman-hating -

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10400671/French-rock-star-Bertrand-Cantat-gives-first-interview-after-killing-girlfriend.html

They also suggest it is possible his ex-wife's suicide was linked to domestic violence.

I'm feeling quite sick now.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 18-Oct-17 16:42:06

Yep, and nasty child abusers are horrid men like Jimmy Saville.

Not beloved types like John Peel or Bowie.

Terfing Wed 18-Oct-17 16:53:06

His wife killed herself too, blaming the emotional abuse he put her through sad

PricklyBall Wed 18-Oct-17 17:13:19

Eight years, out in four, for battering your partner to death. Words fail me. Is there anyone French who can explain how this travesty of justice occurred? (For instance, is it an issue of what "murder" means - i.e. he was done for what we in the UK would legally define as manslaughter, and what the Americans call "second degree murder"? Even so, the sentence is a joke).

And to put him on a magazine cover? The entire editorial board of that magazine are misogynist arse wipes.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 18-Oct-17 17:24:24

And the whole, "Wah, wah! I was going to kill myself, I felt so bad. But then I, er didn't." Despicable arsewipe. That poor woman, her poor family.

Ereshkigal Wed 18-Oct-17 19:31:04

Christ. Missed about his ex wife. Poor women.

ZooeyAndFranny Wed 18-Oct-17 19:41:49

He did not commit the crime in France but in Lithuania. He was sentenced to 8 years by the Lithuanian courts. He was transferred to French prison and once he had done half his sentence, in accordance with French law, he was released.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 18-Oct-17 22:08:51

And the final insult is he has the nerve to feel hard done by that people bring this up.

Slimthistime Wed 18-Oct-17 22:10:39

Prickly, he'd probably get the same here

but fuck knows what the magazine people were thinking.

Ereshkigal Thu 19-Oct-17 00:50:08

A^nd the final insult is he has the nerve to feel hard done by that people bring this up.^

YY. "Oh no, not this old stuff again. I've done my whole four years' time"

TheRollingCrone Thu 19-Oct-17 01:15:44

Can you imagine a female rock star murdering her lover being given another chance in the industry?. Wouldn't happen.

Some women is that fucks next victim sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: