Talk

Advanced search

Looking to be pointed in the right direction

(4 Posts)
Itsanofromme Tue 17-Oct-17 14:15:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Tue 17-Oct-17 17:10:21

I grew up in a conservative family with little exposure to feminism. I was interested and read a few random things I found by chance in bookshops then I did a feminist histories module for my masters degree, which was amazing and very useful. We were asked to read a few novels in preparation for the module and I kept the readers we were provided with. When I get a minute I will dig them out and provide you with a list of texts which I'm sure will be interesting for other people too.
In the meantime:

Random authors I read at first were:
Andrea Dworkin, several books, they are all worth reading.
Naomi Woolf, The Beauty Myth.
Susie Orbach, Fat is a Feminist issue
Germaine Greer, The Female Eunuch.
Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own and Three Guineas

Novels we were asked to read in prep:
Toni Morrison, Beloved (omg, fantastic novel, start here if you are not sure)
Caroline Steedman, Landscape for A Good Woman, very interesting Social Science book about aspirational working class women.
Marie Cardinal, The words to say it, about being analysed by a psychotherapist
Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex, we were asked to read the introduction. It's a long book, read it in bits and dip in and out after you've finished the intro.

Stuff that made an impression on me in the readers we were given for my MA"
Elspeth Berkely Brown, African American Women's Quilting
bell Hooks, Ain't I a woman? and Talking Back, Thinking Black
Donna Haraway, A Cyborg Manifesto
Helene Cixous, The Laugh Of The Medusa

I hope that's helpful. I'd also recommend Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie We should all be feminists if you are a beginner and Caitlin Moran's How to be a woman.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 17-Oct-17 20:41:57

You can download all of Andrea Dworkins books here;
radfem.org/dworkin/

You can get loads of books very cheaply second hand on Ebay, Amazon and Music Magpie

On other threads people have recommended;
The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World by Michelle Goldberg
Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti
Reclaiming the F Word by Catherine Redfern and Kristin Aune
Germaine Greer
Julie Bindel

Miffer Tue 17-Oct-17 21:02:07

wrapped

I adored Beloved too, I also recommend the audiobook read by Toni Morrison herself.

The Colour Purple is also beautiful, it made me so angry with the film for "straightwashing" Celie when her sexuality is such an important part of the book. Again the audio book read by Alice Walker is amazing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: