Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rees-Mogg agrees with some feminists that men cant be feminists

(6 Posts)
scottishdiem Mon 16-Oct-17 17:39:39

Jacob Rees-Mogg has said men should not call themselves feminists and it would be “ridiculous” for him describe himself as one.

www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-reesmogg-calling-a-man-a-feminist-is-ridiculous-a3659011.html

I wonder though, if you are putting men in the same box as Rees-Mogg when you say that men cant be feminists, are you not just asking them to leave the entire issue anyway - who wants to be compared to him?

Shoxfordian Tue 17-Oct-17 09:42:05

I don't agree that men can't be feminists or describe themselves as feminist.

Rees-Mogg's anti abortion nonsense certainly disqualifies him from feminism in my opinion

HelenDenver Wed 18-Oct-17 19:15:00

The usual reason is a preference for the term 'feminist ally' - that's not where JRM is coming from. And he's certainly not a feminist ally.

So no, scottishdiem, I don't think we are putting men in the same box as JRM. Unless they are also tweedy wetwipes.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 18-Oct-17 19:23:38

Just taking what he says in that link - I'm inclined to agree it should be up to women to decide who is or isn't a feminist. Of course, women aren't a homogeneous group with on view on this!

And yes, it would be ridiculous for him to call himself a feminist.

I'd like to know what exactly he is doing which 'supports feminists'...

HelenDenver Wed 18-Oct-17 19:25:30

It'd be ridiculous for JRM to call himself a feminist, a feminist ally, a supporter of feminism (or anything other than an utter turdbucket, really)

Aderyn17 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:31:11

It's simplistic but anyone who believes in equality of opportunity for both sexes is a feminist.
Tbh, I don't think many men really think about it at all until they have some reason to. Like having a daughter, or seeing someone they love be personally affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now