Talk

Advanced search

Shon Faye event - Bradford 18th November

(37 Posts)
WitchBitchHarpyTerfThatsMe Sat 14-Oct-17 01:08:06

There's a Women of the World Festival a couple of hours away from me
on 18th November. On the programme is an event called 'Trans identities - how does transactivism interact with the movement for gender equality?' Shon Faye is apparently headlining.

I'm going to it with my 13 year old daughter. Anyone else going?

crispandcheesesandwichplease Sun 15-Oct-17 00:59:34

Shon Faye is one of those 'But I'm a feminist too because I am a woman' isn't he/she?

Anyone have any background?

Please don't tell me there are no women in Yorkshire who can attend this event.

ALittleBitOfButter Sun 15-Oct-17 05:18:37

Isn't he that lawyer who got photographed with blue eye shadow and his suit and tie? Then later he decided he was a biological woman or something and decided to mansplain feminism?

Datun Sun 15-Oct-17 08:50:13

That's the one.

This is him libelling in Kenneth Zucker on national television. Tranactivists wanted to prevent a documentary called transgender kids from being aired, despite never having seen it.

gendertrender.wordpress.com/?s=Shon+Faye&submit=Search

I believe he has also tried to distance himself from the new batch of 'transtrenders' because they're not as authentically trans as he is.

The irony of a man claiming to be a woman, claiming other men aren't woman enough, is almost laughable.

Take a blood pressure medication with you, OP. You'll need it.

Ereshkigal Sun 15-Oct-17 09:37:41

Except he also once said, "I am not a woman because I feel like a woman, I'm a woman because I say I am" and told a lesbian feminist to "enjoy your erasure". So I think he's quite conscious of what he's doing.

Datun Sun 15-Oct-17 09:42:37

Good God. Did he? What an utter creep.

Makes me so angry.

It's so basic, I don't understand why every single person doesn't get it.

Nice, decent men do not want to make women feel uncomfortable or intimidated. They wouldn't dream of it.

So you are only left with men who are neither nice nor decent. They either don't care about violating women's boundaries, or they actively want to.

The very act of wanting to access women's spaces should be the very reason to preclude them.

Ereshkigal Sun 15-Oct-17 09:48:10

I know. He's a great example of how narcissistic and misogynistic many transactivists are. He has no empathy or respect for women.

Ereshkigal Sun 15-Oct-17 09:53:22

Also see what he said to Miranda Yardley:

https://twitter.com/terrorizermir/status/819339449654005766

Ereshkigal Sun 15-Oct-17 10:00:23

Took me a while to find it as it's a screenshot.

https://twitter.com/lavender_blume/status/753644706807029761

Datun Sun 15-Oct-17 10:08:56

My God. He's actually deranged.

The comment about narcissists inadvertently giving things away, was spot-on. They are totally and utterly blind to their own sickness.

badbadhusky Sun 15-Oct-17 10:09:48

Lavender Blume's Twitter feed is great. She is really pissed off and not afraid to tell it like it is.

Ereshkigal Sun 15-Oct-17 10:12:29

They are totally and utterly blind to their own sickness.

Yes, and they go too far, because they don't have any sense of what too far looks like.

Datun Sun 15-Oct-17 10:22:46

There is a horrible fascination to it.

We have had a couple of narcissistic transwomen on here, along with the generally very sensible ones.

Their issues and blindness leap out every other sentence. They don't see it.

Datun Sun 15-Oct-17 10:30:13

I've just had another look at those tweets. He's a predatory misogynist and he doesn't care who knows it.

I know he's gay, but he still wants to intimidate and exercise his power over women. He might not want to sleep with them, but he sure hates them.

hingedspeculum Sun 15-Oct-17 11:07:13

This is back to the issue about credible sources.

novaramedia.com/2016/04/17/is-it-time-to-abolish-masculinity/

"Deuteronomy is one of the earliest examples of male and female gender roles being crystallised into something more than biology".

What the fuck does that even mean. Is a time line of human civilisation needed as well. No wonder Shon had a spat with the historian Tom Holland. What absolute shit.

hackmum Sun 15-Oct-17 11:50:45

Here's Shon Faye when he was Sean Faye. Doesn't seem to have shown much imagination when it comes to choosing a new name:

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/dec/06/my-life-in-makeup

Elendon Sun 15-Oct-17 12:14:07

But Sean is a non gendered name, shirley!

He is a man of contradictions and clearly a misogynist. How anyone could take him seriously is beyond me. plus he clearly loves the sound of his own voice

crispandcheesesandwichplease Sun 15-Oct-17 14:50:48

Blimey, what a nasty piece of work. Thanks for the links.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 15-Oct-17 18:14:36

What Shon Faye says to Miranda Yardley and lesbians is exactly what the Nazis said to Jews.
'we will eradicate you and no one will know you existed'.

hingedspeculum Sun 15-Oct-17 18:54:22

"Transmisogyny is misogyny intensified"

I'll just get myself a talking gig at a paraplegic group and tell them how they don't actually have it that bad after all.

Ereshkigal Sun 15-Oct-17 18:59:42

Yes, absolutely. "Having the use of your legs yet wishing you could use a wheelchair and no one cares is so much worse than being given a wheelchair due to your disability status, you privileged people!"

wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Sun 15-Oct-17 19:03:54

I am in Yorkshire and in the mood for a fight. I've put this in my diary but would appreciate some company. Not sure I'm brave enough to speak up in the questions on my own. The OP is obviously nearby. Anyone else fancy it.

pigsknickers Sun 15-Oct-17 20:24:00

Wrappedup I'm just a little bit too far away to make it work unfortunately, but I wish you luck from a remote corner of Yorkshire. I know quite a few lib-fems from Bradford who I expect will be there cheering SF on too sad

WitchBitchHarpyTerfThatsMe Sun 15-Oct-17 20:33:02

wrappedup I went on the website and you buy day passes to get into the events. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to speak up alone either but I'm very interested to see how the event goes off.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 15-Oct-17 20:46:47

Here's Shon Faye when he was Sean Faye. Doesn't seem to have shown much imagination when it comes to choosing a new name:

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/dec/06/my-life-in-makeup

If you knew nothing about Shon Faye other than that 3 year old article no one here would disagree with a word of what he was saying. Even if make up is not your thing there is no reason why he shouldn't. Why has Faye moved from being a bloke who wears make up to being a trans woman?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now