Talk

Advanced search

The UK is officially an intolerant hellhole for transwomen

(363 Posts)
pisacake Thu 12-Oct-17 09:31:27

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/12/british-transgender-woman-given-residency-in-safer-new-zealand

"The tribunal deemed it would be “unduly harsh” for the woman to be forced to return to the UK, where she suffered years of “persecution” due to her gender identity disorder. "

In pleading for the woman to be allowed to remain in New Zealand, her lawyer, Kar-yen Partington, presented 20 articles to the tribunal detailing transphobic hate crimes in the UK.

Recent data from the UK shows transphobic hate crimes against LGBTQ people have soared by nearly 80% in the last four years, with more than one in five LGBT people being the victim of a hate crime in last 12 months.

Just seriously curious if (actual) women have ever been granted asylum for being subject to harassment, which in some countries is very extreme. Or is this more trans privilege?

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 09:36:50

New Zealand is desperate for migration. I'm sure they would even have let a straight, white, cisgender man stay on grounds of 'intolerance in Britain'. This stuff really must be made up. I don't know a single person who cares in the least whether someone is cosgendered or not. It seems like it is more of an IT sector problem (we alllble they have a lot of problems behaving properly) than a British one.

BigGreenOlives Thu 12-Oct-17 09:40:54

So she is now living with the rest of her family. I wonder why she wasn’t able to just apply for citizenship?

upperlimit Thu 12-Oct-17 09:42:03

Oh, New Zealand, that progressive hub of tolerance, yeah, good luck with that.

newtlover Thu 12-Oct-17 09:43:15

I read this article earlier, it did sound like they had a really rough time here

nauticant Thu 12-Oct-17 09:43:39

I am amused by this new word cosgendered. Is that the word for trans people as opposed to cisgendered?

newtlover Thu 12-Oct-17 09:44:50

AFAIK, women can claim asylum here (UK) on grounds of fleeing DV, or FGM, or to protect their daughters from FGM

ErrolTheDragon Thu 12-Oct-17 09:46:03

I wonder if the statistics include the sad rise in transphobia which seems to be happening towards lesbians by some trans people?

And the IT sector isn't exactly a beacon of equality for women ....

And people with MH problems do get discriminated against...

It sounds as though this person suffered horrible workplace bullying, but there seems like a lot of factors of which the 'trans' isn't necessarily of the widest significance.

sarahjconnor Thu 12-Oct-17 09:48:53

NZ welcomes financially secure white engineers in their 40s from developed countries - 3 of DHs mates have moved over in the last 8 years. Nonsense story.

hingedspeculum Thu 12-Oct-17 10:05:22

From the ONS:

Hate crime offences in 2015/16 for the five centrally monitored strands were as follows:

49,419 (79%) were race hate crimes;
7,194 (12%) were sexual orientation hate crimes;
4,400 (7%) were religious hate crimes;
3,629 (6%) were disability hate crimes; and
858 (1%) were transgender hate crimes.

Across the same time period as the 80% increase in transphobic hate crime , hate crimes against disabled people have increased by 107%.

I don't think think that it's about cis white men vs. everyone fighting amongst themselves for naff all provision, but at the moment it seems that it's a case of whoever can shout the loudest.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 12-Oct-17 10:59:51

Also, if you look at the stats for murders, more than 2 women are murdered every week because of their sex, but misogyny is not a hate crime. Trans people have more legal protection than women.

William Lound was murdered in 2016.
www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mum-murdered-man-william-lound-11601001

MrsJoyless Thu 12-Oct-17 11:59:19

Cosgendered is an excellent word. I’m thinking it’s for someone who picks their gender on a daily basis, according to what they fancy wearing?

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 12:00:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

misscockerspaniel Thu 12-Oct-17 12:52:30

The case of William Lound was featured on BBC2 last night (9pm). He was murdered by a homeless man with MH issues, who handed himself in to the police and said he had wanted to murder someone, and William was the victim because he had (in the murderer's own words) being "annoying" him by going down to where the homeless people were hanging out. After the court case, the victim's mother spoke to reporters and said that William's sister has committed suicide following her brother's murder. It was very sad all round, and the murderer should not have been on the streets, he had been in and out of psychiatric institutions.

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 13:01:12

Yes I saw that felt desperately sad for the poor mother especially that her daughter committed suicide, to lose 2 children is horrible.
They never said why the victim was hanging about the homeless community.

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 13:03:04

William Wasn't murdered because he sometimes dressed as a woman. He happened to irritate a psychopath who should have been locked up. The killer would have picked someone else if William hadn't been there, he was a handy victim.

FloraFox Thu 12-Oct-17 13:23:36

Anecdotally, IT workers seem to be overrepresented in the cohort of late transitioners, particularly those attracted to women. I know a few who work in male dominated tech companies who don't seem to have any trouble at work.

BeyondNoone Thu 12-Oct-17 13:29:03

“transphobic hate crimes against LGBTQ people...80%“

Yeah just shoehorn that LGB bit in when it’s irrelevant (have crimes against LGBTQIABCD people risen 80% or have transphobic crimes increased 80%) - always (coincidentally...? hmm ) makes people feel guilty for the homophobia in the past...

DJBaggySmalls Thu 12-Oct-17 13:33:07

William Wasn't murdered because he sometimes dressed as a woman. He happened to irritate a psychopath who should have been locked up

We all know that, but he's included as the sole representative of trans murders in the UK on Wiki;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unlawfully_killed_transgender_people

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 12-Oct-17 13:34:21

Why isn't rape counted as a crime against women - sex hate or misogyny?

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:35:58

Because many people think it's just frustrated men who can't get sex. They just love women apart from that.

OlennasWimple Thu 12-Oct-17 14:06:44

Although the woman felt like a female from the age of seven, her single-sex grammar school in the UK was an unending experience of violence, abuse and trauma that caused her to suppress her true identity and conceal it from friends, family and colleagues for most of her life.

This jumped out of the report at me.

In other words, her MALE school peers were horrible, abusive bullies. Male violence rears its ugly head again.

nauticant Thu 12-Oct-17 14:09:06

That's my take MrsJoyless, like cosplay.

Now, how can we get this excellent new word to be adopted?

pisacake Thu 12-Oct-17 15:31:01

Here's the first cosgendered person.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4961910/Good-Morning-Britain-Piers-gender-fluid-guest.html

"Tabitha/Tate Downs-King, 20, identifies as gender fluid, meaning one day she will be Tabitha - as she was for her appearance on the daytime show - and another, Tate.

Tabitha - who was born biologically female - explained to presenters Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid that she dresses according to which gender she identifies as on any given day.

And when Piers asked which toilets she would use in a public place, Tabitha said that she would use both - even making use of the urinal.

Asked how that would work by Piers, Tabitha explained 'there’s a prosthetic penis that you can pee through,' leaving the host apparently lost for words."

pisacake Thu 12-Oct-17 15:38:19

If cisgender is a valid term for people to label those different from them, then so is cosgender.

By the same token 'transwoman' could be called 'nonwoman', based on the Latin prefix 'non', meaning 'not'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now