Advanced search

International Day of the Girl

(25 Posts)
Shoxfordian Wed 11-Oct-17 11:42:06

Is today!

Here's the Freedom video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=3BMgV8jj9IU

thenightsky Wed 11-Oct-17 16:47:58

A male FB friend has just posted this on FB with the comment... 'how about we have a people day instead of treatment with women like a minority'. I replied... because blokes already have 365 days. His response is 'to do what'?

Not sure what to say now confused He just doesn't get it.

thenightsky Wed 11-Oct-17 16:48:43

Gah... 'treating', not treatment.

Shoxfordian Wed 11-Oct-17 16:51:39

Ugh what an idiot; are you close friends? Unfollow/block for nonsense like that

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 16:52:10

thenightsky you should ask him if he'll also be up in arms and posting similar complaints on International Men's Day next month as he's so upset by this day. What a ridiculous comment (as I know agree).

Terrylene Wed 11-Oct-17 16:52:55

What does he want to do?

Terrylene Wed 11-Oct-17 16:53:26

(that is so important) hmm

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 16:53:36

I agree Shoxfordian. Also thanks for starting this thread marking the day and posting the video!

Shoxfordian Wed 11-Oct-17 16:54:48

No problem

I was going to say I liked the video but actually all the statistics made me angry/sad....

jellyfrizz Wed 11-Oct-17 16:55:37

Tell him when a boy also dies every five minutes because of violence then we'll have a people day.

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 16:58:37

Also amusing thenightsky that he's complaining about it not being a "people day" as he's so offended by a day for girls around the world (clearly he has no care for all the misogyny faced) yet presumably wouldn't know what to do on this "people's day" given his following comment. Maybe he should consider all the misogyny women and girls face worldwide, not a minority but oppressed around the globe.

thenightsky Wed 11-Oct-17 16:58:58

Actually... I've just re-read the FB conversation... cut and pasted below:

JT: Equality? This is 2017

JT: Treating women as a minority is inequality in itself

Me: Coz blokes get 365 days every year maybe?

JH: Blokes get 365 days of what, exactly?

jellyfrizz Wed 11-Oct-17 16:59:21

Great video, I just showed my 11 year old daughter, she loved it but said 'I bet there are loads of horrible comments under it'. So sad that she can already predict this. We didn't look (but I'm fairly sure she's right).

Lottapianos Wed 11-Oct-17 17:01:03

'He just doesn't get it.'

Absolutely, and probably never will. I have no energy left for people like that. You tried OP, good for you

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 17:01:55

Ask him if he'll be complaining International Men's Day is "treating men like a minority" and "inequality in itself". Though the ones whose reaction to days such as the International Day of the Girl is to post nonsense like that only want to attack women and girls, it's a cover for their sexism and only shows their desire to ignore misogyny, they can't stand anything which focuses on women and girls, so used to the focus being on men as the default.

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 17:08:57

I just showed my 11 year old daughter, she loved it but said 'I bet there are loads of horrible comments under it'. So sad that she can already predict this. We didn't look (but I'm fairly sure she's right).

This is why I try never to read comments under any videos or articles on feminism (they're often horrendous on YouTube videos but then they are everywhere). It is a huge shame your daughter is already aware of this vitriol aimed at anything focusing on women or girls at such a young age though. She's already seen how much contempt is aimed at girls and women, so much so she expects abusive comments to be aimed at a vital video on girls. She sounds lovely though and I'm sure she is and will continue to be a fantastic and aware girl, I hope she won't be put off by misogynists!

Ereshkigal Wed 11-Oct-17 17:24:00

Thankfully when I looked at it comments were disabled.

thenightsky Wed 11-Oct-17 17:26:52

Latest comment from a bloke in FB convo I pasted below:

'Of normal everyday life, as do women. Not sure what she means'.

Shoxfordian Wed 11-Oct-17 17:34:14

I think you should block him

Don't enter into a battle of wits with unarmed people

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 18:20:27

Ereshkigal I have similar sentiments when I see comments disabled on videos like this but it says a lot we're relieved when this is the case and an 11 year old girl already expects unpleasant comments.

Ereshkigal Wed 11-Oct-17 19:35:13

I totally agree with you but YouTube is misogyny central. At least people didn't have to read that shit on a video about girls.

jellyfrizz Wed 11-Oct-17 19:45:26

I asked her why she thought there would be horrible comments, thinking maybe ALL YouTube videos get horrible comments but no. She said 'It happens. Like when they announced a female DR Who.' sad so she is very aware that it's females getting the abuse.

She then asked me if I was 'going to tweet it on mumschat'. grin

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 19:55:11

I agree Ereshkigal, YouTube comments are particularly horrendous in terms of misogyny which is saying something.

jellyfrizz it's such a shame she's already aware of this misogyny and vitriol directed towards women and girls, I hope she's not too disheartened by it. Might help to highlight positive comments to her and powerful girls and women though I'm sure you need no advice from me! I love her comment there grin

jellyfrizz Wed 11-Oct-17 19:58:47

Thanks NoLove I mainly tell her that there are lots of idiots on the internet and to take no notice of most of them.

NoLoveofMine Wed 11-Oct-17 20:02:03

Quite! Except on mumschat grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now