Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tragic story which illustrates seriousness of body dysmorphia with relevance to other dysmorphic disorders

(51 Posts)
Ereshkigal Sun 08-Oct-17 10:39:41

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4951968/Artist-40-thought-ugly-killed-herself.html

Apologies for DM link. This is so sad. But I feel it illustrates just how all consuming the feelings of body dysmorphia can be and how warped a view sufferers can have of themselves. She thought she was ugly and was terrified of getting old and fat. From the pictures you can see that she was a very attractive woman who looks a good 5-10 years younger than her real age, not that that counts for anything, but just highlights her distorted view of herself. She was clearly suffering from a serious mental illness. It seems to me that there are some major similarities with gender dysphoria here. Just my thoughts.

Albadross Sun 08-Oct-17 10:50:22

What other kinds of dysmorphia are there that don't involve the body?

Ereshkigal Sun 08-Oct-17 10:55:45

Not sure there are, just the way I worded the thread title. A bit clumsy, I agree, sorry!

QuentinSummers Wed 11-Oct-17 19:05:38

Just seen this. So sad, poor woman and her family

20lbsToLose Thu 12-Oct-17 13:13:11

From the pictures you can see that she was a very attractive woman who looks a good 5-10 years younger than her real age, not that that counts for anything

So why include that in your post. What if she wasnt attractive and young looking to you or others?

Nobody should feel the need to take their own life based on how their outer appearance is perceived to others.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:14:45

Not the point. The point is that her view was clearly distorted.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:15:34

It's about the dysmorphia, not about suicide.

20lbsToLose Thu 12-Oct-17 13:18:04

Dysmorphia exists because of comments like you just wrote about her attractiveness. What is and isn't attractive.

If she were "ugly" and took her life, what would your or peoples responses be?

Not surprised? She's not pleasant to my eye.

differenteverytime Thu 12-Oct-17 13:20:41

The other thing that strikes me about this terrible case is the overwhelming nature of the dysmorphia. Her appearance was more important than her future, her family, her art, her very life. Whatever her actual appearance was like, that could never have been true. I wish she had been able to access therapy that worked to help her live with herself, because even if she'd had the surgery it still probably wouldn't have been the answer.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:23:27

Go away and goad somewhere else. Body dysmorphia is a serious mental illness. This woman had been diagnosed with it. Look it up.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:24:13

Sorry, cross post, different.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:27:57

The other thing that strikes me about this terrible case is the overwhelming nature of the dysmorphia.

Yes, that's what struck me too.

differenteverytime Thu 12-Oct-17 13:44:32

I have a relative who spent time in a psychiatric hospital for a different condition. She said there was another woman there who was obsessed with the appearance of her eyes - had bankrupted herself paying for cosmetic surgery and was still constantly planning for changes that she wanted. I don't know what became of her. I hope that she received intensive therapy - I don't know what even works for that sort of situation - but certainly having the surgery hadn't helped the poor woman. I really feel for the family and friends of the woman in this case. It seems similar to EDs and other body-based delusions - they probably tried to challenge her belief about herself but she wasn't able to see beyond it.

differenteverytime Thu 12-Oct-17 13:50:35

I suppose, in a society which places such importance on what women 'should' and 'shouldn't' be like, it's hardly surprising that some vulnerable individuals take that message on board to an all-consuming extent. I can think of several parallels.

20lbsToLose Thu 12-Oct-17 13:56:56

If that was aimed at me OP, well I'm not "goading". But that goes to show that in a society that puts so much emphasis on a woman's appearance, its no surprise that you have made a comment on how you view her visually.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:57:21

It seems similar to EDs and other body-based delusions - they probably tried to challenge her belief about herself but she wasn't able to see beyond it

Yes, precisely.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 14:02:49

20lbs

I'm allowed to have an opinion on whether someone is attractive or not. We all do. Don't be ridiculous. It's entirely relevant to the distorted belief she had about her appearance. Which probably significantly contributed to her killing herself. That's the point you're utterly failing to grasp. I won't be engaging with you further.

20lbsToLose Thu 12-Oct-17 14:04:41

O don't understand why you're getting defensive. Maybe think next time when you post something about body dysmorphia, not to make comments on someone's attractiveness.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 14:05:05

ODFOD

differenteverytime Thu 12-Oct-17 14:06:13

The NHS describes body dysmorphic disorder here, along with the range of therapies, medications and support that are recommended for its treatment. It seems awful that this woman must have believed surgery was the only answer.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 14:06:56

You really are very obtuse.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 14:07:14

Not you, different.

20lbsToLose Thu 12-Oct-17 14:07:27

You're a very unpleasant person and I think you're taking my posts the wrong way.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 14:10:12

You are entirely taking my original post the wrong way. I don't think you understood the point. Heigh ho.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 14:10:35

Stop derailing my thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now