Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

More expensive women's clothes..

(27 Posts)
ridiculoussingle Sat 07-Oct-17 14:22:59

Can anyone tweet this to redbubbles page for me? I wanted a feminist t shirt, and then noticed the difference in price for women's t-shirts! I'm pissed off, contacted customer services they seriously didn't care. I don't even want the t-shirt anymore, just want to draw attention to the higher price for the sane thing in women's size!

BetsyM00 Sat 07-Oct-17 14:32:29

Another example of not being able to see the evidence that is right under their nose! Tweeted it.

ridiculoussingle Sat 07-Oct-17 14:33:24

Thanks 😊😊

Notlostjustexploring Sat 07-Oct-17 14:34:44

Wha.....?????

Except not the same, men's sizes are likely to be bigger, therefore more material, therefore surely men's should be the more expensive item?

Bet the men's are better quality too.angry

Urgh, I'm so SICK of this insidious, blatant, sexist nonsense. Grumble, grumble, grumble.....

silkpyjamasallday Sat 07-Oct-17 14:50:20

I can't see any good reason for it, just blatant sexism. I recently tried to replace some sippy cups for DD and noticed that the option on amazon under 'colours' were labelled boy and girl, and the boys ones were £2 cheaper! Needless to say she has the cups with robots and dinosaurs! The blue bath support we bought when she was a newborn was cheaper than the pink version too.

MikeUniformMike Sat 07-Oct-17 14:53:09

This is so often the case. Maybe the colouring to make items pink and purple is massively expensive compared with sludgy 'boys' colours. (doesn't apply to the t-shirts)

Mide7 Sat 07-Oct-17 15:53:19

Perhaps I’m making excuses but having some limited experience in clothing manufacturing, I would imagine the “unisex” t shirt is produced in much greater numbers and therefore cheaper.

magpiemischeif Sat 07-Oct-17 16:04:57

It is so ironic though, could considering the slogan. What a joke. I am glad this has been tweeted.

mumside Sat 07-Oct-17 21:58:19

I think they need more material for the boobs. Sometimes us mums have to pay a price for having such a curvy physique!

scottishdiem Sun 08-Oct-17 02:12:13

The cut and shape are different and, as noted above, produced in different numbers. But if you think there should be no difference then just buy the cheaper one.

pinkyredrose Sun 08-Oct-17 10:55:30

mumside seriously? hmm

mumside Sun 08-Oct-17 11:54:39

I'm being serious. Look at the dads shirt, it's just a flat piece of material but the mums one has to be made in a way to accommodate breasts

pinkyredrose Sun 08-Oct-17 13:51:51

Fucking lol! Not known for being a thinker are you mumside

mumside Sun 08-Oct-17 14:47:02

I don't appreciate your comment this is not the kind of atmosphere I've come to expect from this website

LiquoricePickle Sun 08-Oct-17 14:53:26

The women's t shirt may actually require more work and a different fabric. Given the Sloan though, you'd think they could price in the middle and call it even.

BoBoBatty Sun 08-Oct-17 14:54:08

I genuinely think more work goes into making the women's shirt, because the men's is straight up and down, one straight seam at each side. The women's is shaped and would require slightly more skill to manufacture.

I agree there are examples of micro-sexism everywhere, but I think this one may have a legitimate reason.

starzig Sun 08-Oct-17 15:06:04

It's because of the different fit. Men's are a simpler shape. You could buy a men's if you like

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 08-Oct-17 15:13:16

pinkyredrose
Fucking lol! Not known for being a thinker are you mumside

Does being so rude make you feel good about yourself?

Whether it justifies that price difference mumside is correct that there is more work involved in making a styled t-shirt to fit a female body.

Blackcatonthesofa Sun 08-Oct-17 15:16:14

I sew my own clothes. It's a hobby. The mens shirt is easier and quicker to sew. I wouldn't see this as sexism.

SpaghettiAndMeatballs Sun 08-Oct-17 16:20:59

From a look at the t-shirt though, it's not a shaped t-shirt - the women's one just has shorter sleeves and a slimmer fit (ie narrower body tube). They're both 100% cotton (ie. it's not that one has lycra).

I would think that the difference is more likely explained by quantity ordered - but then that would be a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent if someone can save 2 bucks by ordering the small men's rather than the medium women's then you would, wouldn't you - hence more men's ordered.

But then, we don't pay a difference from the small to the XXL - which also would clearly be more expensive due to more fabric and heavier weight so greater shipping cost.

Why is it OK to even out the t-shirt cost when the difference in price is due to size, but not OK to raise it when the difference in t-shirt cost is due to order volume (or potentially, effort to sew, although I don't think this is the case here personally)?

JemimaLovesHamble Sun 08-Oct-17 16:22:35

I sew my own clothes. It's a hobby. The mens shirt is easier and quicker to sew. I wouldn't see this as sexism.

These aren't hand sewn. I am no expert in this stuff but I can't see how more work goes into the women's one particularly, not when mass made in a factory. I'd assume they are run through the same machines the same number of times?

SpaghettiAndMeatballs Sun 08-Oct-17 16:32:38

Yeah - when making a plain t-shirt, there's really no difference beyond the physical size. The trickiest bit is putting the ribbing on the neck, and to a certain extent attaching the sleeves (basically any bit with a curve is marginally tricker than a straight bit) - but yes, it's 5 seams max (neck, armholes, then up each side) and 3 hems (arms, bottom - TBH, the neck is very hem-like too) done on an overlocker.

And actually, a lot of t-shirts are made from a tube of fabric for the body, so you can knock off the side seams too (although you'll still need to do the sleeves.

T-shirts are not a lot of effort at all.

SpaghettiAndMeatballs Sun 08-Oct-17 16:36:27

Oh, I see what you mean - actually I think a lot of places do use humans to put the stuff through the machines, but it'll be a production line, so one person will do the neck, another will do the sleeves, a third will fold it in half and do the side seams etc.

A couple more cm on any seam will make very little difference, switching styles (and size to a certain extent as you have to check you've got all the same size bits) does, so it's easier to make 100 identical than 10 each of of different styles.

newtlover Sun 08-Oct-17 16:40:59

the womens shirt looks shaped to me and I would think that would make it harder to machine stitch, you'd have to guide it more carefully as opposed to just whizzing it through

mumside Sun 08-Oct-17 17:29:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now