Talk

Advanced search

The Harvey Weinstein Inquiry

(15 Posts)
Terfing Sat 07-Oct-17 13:09:15

This will be an interesting case.

Harvey WEinstein, a Hollywood film producer, has been public ally accused of sexual harassment by several women. Ashley JUdd is one of them. He seems to admit to some of it and has apologised, but it looks like a bigger case may be growing?

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sat 07-Oct-17 13:21:57

It's been an open secret in Hollywood for years, there has been loads of blind items and his behaviour towards women. There's a feeling that the reason he's admitted to some of it is because there is a bigger story behind the scenes that he's trying to hide or that he's pissed someone off who has more power than him otherwise why now?

I also think that most of Hollywood is still going to work with him after it's "blown over". Hollywood is full of hypocrites who like to pass on their "wisdom" and tell people how to live but they jump into bed with Weinstein, Polansky and others.

Terfing Sat 07-Oct-17 13:29:59

Yeah, some people (like Judd) have called him out, but the bigger names are staying silent, which has pissed off some feminists.

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sat 07-Oct-17 14:08:59

The people in Hollywood, actors especially, know where their bread is buttered. If they knew that he was going down and he was never going to show his face in the entertainment business, many would be at the front of line to criticise so they can get some kudos but because he still has the power and will continue to have it, they will stay silent.

It seems like Hollywood has the same seedy culture as it did in the 30's and 40's only those involved in the darker side know they need to hide it better.

schoolgaterebel Sat 07-Oct-17 14:10:25

The bigger names are staying silent because he has a huge amount of clout in Hollywood.
I wish they were braver.

BertrandRussell Sat 07-Oct-17 14:10:43

What, you mean Harvey "it was the 70s nobody knew it was wrong to harass women then"Weinstein?

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sat 07-Oct-17 14:24:30

I think some are scared of the repercussions of speaking out but I also think plenty just don't care.

Look at Polansky, if these people wanted to boycott him without repercussions they could, but they choose not to because the prestige of starring in one of his films is more important to them.

Tealdeal747 Sat 07-Oct-17 14:25:59

Sex for roles is hardly a secret.

badbadhusky Sat 07-Oct-17 21:08:49

When I heard it trailed on the news headlines as a "Hollywood producer" without naming him, I guessed Weinstein. He has a rather repulsive, untouchable "kingmaker" arrogance about him. Totally unsurprising.

PlectrumElectrum Mon 09-Oct-17 23:37:45

Looks like those who knew and enabled Weinstein are being called out on their part in all this. As they should. Matt Damon has been called a 'spineless profiteer who stays silent'. He's been implicated in burying an earlier expose from 2004. Weinstein' begging email was a sad pathetic move on his part - claiming to be so desperate to have counselling & therapy to allow him to have a second chance while calling his accusers liars hmm

SomeDyke Tue 10-Oct-17 12:20:11

I'll freely admit, I know next to nothing about the setting for all this. But what caught my attention was the supposed response. First, the kneejerk 'I'm sorry I did stuff that upset people' line. Then the 'I'll get therapy' line. Both of which sound to me like classic non-apology apologies. The I'm sorry I upset you (I didn't realize my behaviour would upset you is unspoken). Then the I'm not bad I'm ill (and hence need therapy line).

Which all obscures what is probably the case -- he either knew exactly how women felt about his behaviour and that was part of the thrill, knowing the power he had over them, or he was so concerned with his own power, he never gave a thought to how the women felt because that would be acknowledging them as persons of some worth compared to himself. It's not the 'accident' or 'illness' that his statements would seem to imply.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Tue 10-Oct-17 20:27:39

NYT article is grim. I do understand why women didn't speak out. Liking Brad Pitt's response though

www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/us/gwyneth-paltrow-angelina-jolie-harvey-weinstein.html?_r=0

And awww, I liked Matt Damon. Fuck

QuentinSummers Wed 11-Oct-17 21:33:15

Anyone listen to Eddie Mair tonight? I love him. He was talking about the therapy Weinstein is having and said something like "in these kinds of cases, I'm not talking about this specific case, do you think people have therapy as a PR exercise?" grin
I was wondering how long it will be before Weinstein is running consent classes, like Chef Evans and Bill Cosby hmm

toocool4cats Thu 12-Oct-17 11:07:20

It never fails to astound me how females in the film industry just accept so much of this shit . As long as it remains the norm for young actresses to be expected to appear naked for no good reason this will never stop!

Tealdeal747 Fri 13-Oct-17 23:50:49

What about the males in the film industry who accept this shit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now