Talk

Advanced search

Hair! (not the musical)

(6 Posts)
SomeDyke Fri 06-Oct-17 12:26:25

Just saw this on the BBC:

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41522160/model-arvida-bystrm-gets-rape-threats-after-an-advert-featured-her-hairy-legs

Says it all really -- woman displays body hair with a message, and gets rape threats. Despite her supposed abled, white, cis etc privilege, this response just shows what happens when a female decides to show some aspects of an actual female body.

Given the many shave/not shave, it's your choice threads, which is it do you think? A woman (who isn't so old as to be totally sexually undesirable hence 'allowed' to have a tache and various hairy bits) daring to show her hair, or a woman daring to have an opinion about her hair? Or both?

Gets worse too, she even displays cellulite! The BBC might implode at that..................

jellyfrizz Fri 06-Oct-17 15:42:29

She's great! Body hair shouldn't have to be a message - or cellulite; it's just what we all have (some more than others), it's crap that she's getting this abuse.

I think it's totally because she's not constantly trying to be appealing to men by following the conventional beauty standards. You see it all the time, comments about women 'not making an effort' because they have body hair. It's not about cleanliness or neatness unless most men are dirty and untidy.

How dare she not make an effort for those men who might wish to fuck her?

Elendon Fri 06-Oct-17 17:26:34

She was me in my 20s! Thank goodness women having body hair is finally getting traction.

My only reservation is that it's not cis, not gender neutral. It's totally normal. Plus she looks like a woman.

Elendon Fri 06-Oct-17 17:28:02

It does seem bizarre that a young adult female would seem odd having leg hair and underarm hair plus cellulite.

EnidColeslaw771 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:31:30

I think if "cis" means identifying with the stereotypes around femininity then having hairy legs isn't that is it? Which just demonstrates yet again what a stupid concept "cis" is.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Fri 06-Oct-17 17:38:19

Fucking hell, rape threats for daring to grow the hair that naturally we all have???!!

Fuck sake.

Just proves how far we've gone in enforcing this gender stereotyping bollocks.

I don't shave, ever.

I do do it as a message tbh, that message is "fuck your stupid expectations of what sexual attractiveness/femininity is"

And this is why I do it, because people who are outraged enough at a hairy leg, are pathetic arseholes and I really enjoy winding them up.

Fucking abusive, misogynistic cunts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now