Talk

Advanced search

Woman takes selfies with street harassers for a month

(14 Posts)
NoLoveofMine Fri 06-Oct-17 12:00:30

I thought some might want to read this: www.independent.co.uk/life-style/woman-selfies-street-harrassers-harrassment-catcalls-men-instagram-noa-jansma-a7983991.html

A woman took selfies with the majority of men who harassed her on the street over the period of a month (not all - as she says in the article some situations felt too unsafe). She posted them on Instagram and captioned them with some of the quotes from the harassers. I find it quite telling she has the same stoical and unimpressed expression in each (the anger of being harassed is evident as well) whilst the men are generally smiling and all too happy to pose. It was an interesting idea, I think.

I also note that in Amsterdam, where she's based, there's to be a potential fine of £170 for street harassment from next year. As she says, this is symbolic and I think far more action needs to be taken on this worldwide.

MCBeatsandGrindah Fri 06-Oct-17 12:50:10

They just have no idea, do they?

As ever, don't read the comments.

NoLoveofMine Fri 06-Oct-17 13:01:50

Quite. I think some do get off on making you uncomfortable and intimidating you, but many just don't even consider it, such is the entrenched presentation of women and girls as sexual objects who exist for men and boys to comment on in society. It's so pervasive.

NoLoveofMine Sat 07-Oct-17 22:30:20

Xx

NoLoveofMine Sat 07-Oct-17 22:30:38

Sitting with you Alice

MegRichardson Sat 07-Oct-17 22:46:21

When I was a much younger woman it was a very unpleasant experience to have men leering and cat-calling in the street. I had thought that things had got better and men had stopped doing it so much, but it was obviously me getting older and off the radar.

I am very sad that this still goes on and I applaud the young woman. What a load of twats those men truly are.

BMacklin Sat 07-Oct-17 23:33:59

I saw this on Bored Panda! I thought it's amazing they have laws to fine people (men) for it!

The audacity of the men quite happy to stand by their harassment and literally stand by for their photo op was appalling!

WibbleWobbleJelly Sat 07-Oct-17 23:40:22

I read the first few comments on the article and thought how fucking depressing.

I dispair for my dd's.

Fauchelevent Sat 07-Oct-17 23:47:57

I went to new york and it was so persistent in a way I have never experienced that I stopped enjoying the city and went home sad

NoLoveofMine Sun 08-Oct-17 01:16:54

I went to new york and it was so persistent in a way I have never experienced that I stopped enjoying the city and went home

I can empathise with this. It's bad in London but I have never had it so bad as in New York. I was 15 and with friends, we were followed for blocks, stalked by men in cars, blown kisses at, winked at, told "little English girls"...argh.

SerendipityFelix Sun 08-Oct-17 03:54:56

What a great project. I hope the idea spreads. I don’t really do social media but I know that trends for things like ‘shaming’ people by taking pictures and posting online can lead to widespread discussion of issues, usually the other way around though, men ‘shaming’ women. In this, men are shaming themselves, and willingly having their picture taken as well. It’s audacious.

squeekums Sun 08-Oct-17 04:03:04

Just depressing
Only 1 guy asked her why she wanted the selfie, i mean wtf
Sad thing is, its same the world over.

NoLoveofMine Sun 08-Oct-17 13:31:33

It's also promising that street harassment is going to be considered a crime punishable with a fine from January. As the woman said, it may prove difficult to enforce but is a positive move.

NoLoveofMine Mon 09-Oct-17 11:02:26

Very much so Felix. There are so many instances of men using social media and photographs to "shame" women in various ways, it's horrendous. This turns it back in a way, but in a way which doesn't stoop to their level (often posting pictures of women and girls to encourage abuse, photographs taken without consent etc) - it's taking a selfie with a man who's harassed her who then willingly poses for one. This shows not only the entitlement and the view of women and girls the harassers have (by harassing her in the first place) but also how ingrained and normalised it is, that so many think it's perfectly acceptable, but are showing themselves to have this view of women and girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now