Talk

Advanced search

Survey asking what do self identifying women want?

(15 Posts)
TimbuktuTimbuktu Wed 04-Oct-17 14:07:40

A) for woman to be recognised as a material reality and not an identity?
B) the right to sex segregated spaces?
C) to use words which refer to our biology without being censored.

http://www.thisiswhatwomenwant.org/

Feel free to fill in your own answers. I used a dummy name, email and postcode though.

DJBaggySmalls Wed 04-Oct-17 14:12:59

They're getting some criticism on Twitter, this has always been for women. This years survey is going to be useless.
Ironically on another thread trans people are complaining about women form Mumsnet filling in the LGBT survey...

BeyondNoone Wed 04-Oct-17 14:49:05

This is the third (or fourth?) government survey I’ve seen on mn in the last few weeks that relies on the nonsense idea of “self identification”
I wonder if we need a thread just for them!!

BeyondNoone Wed 04-Oct-17 14:51:21

(Government not really the right word there]

Sillydoggy Wed 04-Oct-17 15:00:21

I filled it in and said pretty much exactly the same thing!

Bucketsandspoons Wed 04-Oct-17 17:26:18

I filled in the LGBT survey, as I'm LGBT..... I didn't realise I couldn't be LGBT AND a MNetter!

<runs around wondering which one to abandon>

MsPassepartout Wed 04-Oct-17 17:33:21

I'm confused.

Is this survey intended to be used by women who are biologically female and identity as women?

Or is it purely aimed at biological males who self identify as trans women?

NoLoveofMine Wed 04-Oct-17 17:55:04

It's a shame because it looks like an important group run by women volunteering their time because they believe in making a difference for all women and girls. To me this is one of the major problems with how vocal TRAs are (if I've understood it correctly and it's open to anyone who "identifies as a woman"). People are well aware of how aggressively they and their "allies" shout down any feminist campaign or group which doesn't make clear that "anyone who identifies as a woman is one" so don't want to take the risk of not making that view point clear (I think similar happened with the Women's Equality Party).

TimbuktuTimbuktu Thu 05-Oct-17 07:12:43

I did a bit more research and apparently it is a continuation of a survey that was originally done 20 years ago and then again ten years ago. Previously it was for actual women though!

BeyondNoone Thu 05-Oct-17 08:06:36

It’s being run by a “different team” this year. Which may explain the changes

chronofix Thu 05-Oct-17 08:12:03

Avoid doing it on a tablet as the ethnicity bit doesn't drop down properly!

Can I fill it in if I was born a woman, am a woman and heterosexual with female gender?

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Thu 05-Oct-17 09:32:58

I've just filled it in - as me, a biological female that identifies as ... a biological female.

They're bloody idiots though, as by adding the words "self-identifying" they have completely changed how people will react/respond and therefore make it completely useless for their purposes.

It’s a bit open is t it?

How are they meant to gain any valuable information from it?

I could write pages and pages, how are they going to compare it to someone else that’s written 3 lines?

Surely a series of questions with an open box would be better?

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Thu 05-Oct-17 10:54:44

Considering that you are going to have completely different list of "wants" dependent on whether you were born as a woman or decided to become one, the survey results will be completely invalid as a gauge of what women want. And of course it can't be reasonably compared to the earlier surveys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now