Talk

Advanced search

Response from MP

(11 Posts)
MerchantofVenice Sun 01-Oct-17 16:21:10

Just wondering if/when other people received replies from their MPs after writing to them about the plans for self-identification? I wrote to mine at least two months ago; his assistant emailed me to acknowledge receipt and said that the great man himself would respond in time. But how much time, I now wonder? Is it time to write again?!

Rumandraisin1 Sun 01-Oct-17 16:34:34

It took mine about a month to reply but I think that might have been because I wrote during the parliamentary recess. I'd definitely at least send a short email chasing it up if I were you.

MerchantofVenice Sun 01-Oct-17 17:08:57

Thanks. Right - I think I will chase it up.

MerchantofVenice Tue 10-Oct-17 18:04:14

Ok - he has now deigned to respond. Sort of wish he hadn't bothered.

How do I respond to the following:

The profile of transgender equality has rightly been raised in the past few years. This, however, has not been to the detriment of women.

Give me strength.

I can't let this go; I need to write back. But where to begin with this factually incorrect bullshit??

Rumandraisin1 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:20:55

I got a load of bland rubbish back from my MP, not addressing any of the points I'd raised in my letter, so I've now written back with a list of specific questions and situations and asked him to respond to each one (e.g. Evidence from experts that sex offenders - with penises - are claiming to be trans in order to be transferred to women's prisons - How will you ensure that vulnerable women are not put at risk? Do you support the right of older/disabled people to be able to ask that intimate care be provided by someone of the same sex or should they be required to accept someone who is physically the opposite sex but identifies otherwise) etc.

busyboysmum Tue 10-Oct-17 18:23:57

Sounds good Rum. We could do with a few templates for letters like these. Would you be happy to pm me a draft of your letter? I need something else to hammer at my MP.

MerchantofVenice Tue 10-Oct-17 18:46:31

That does sound good. I think being highly specfic might be the only way - otherwise you get this generic, useless bullshit.

PlonitbatPlonit Tue 10-Oct-17 19:07:55

This is a good guideline for writing to MPs www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=500603830293808&id=494295627591295

heateallthebuns Wed 11-Oct-17 17:42:20

I'm not clued in but I watched this morning this morning (!) and was infuriated. I want to write to my mp, but I'm unsure what the name of the legislation proposing no sex question on the census is, is it sex or gender? And what is the self determination legislation....and is there something to mention about gender neutral passports? I actually know someone who answers one MPs letters personally so I think I would be able to get them to actually think about it not just the standard response.

busyboysmum Wed 11-Oct-17 19:07:08

I think the main battle to fight is against the proposals to introduce self identification. So Maria Miller's proposed Gender Identity Bill.

sages.org.uk/publications/sages-factsheet.html

BetsyM00 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:25:48

heateallthebuns Have a look at www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/2995738-Gender-ID-bill-Gender-Critical-To-Do-List.

There's some background to the issue and the proposed legislative changes, as well as some template letters for writing to your MP (though some of these were written before Maria Miller's bill was dropped, so may need updating). The links given above for Woman's Place UK and the SAGES factsheets are also very good.

I've also added a new petition to the above linked thread which you may like to sign - against the proposed changes to make sex a non-mandatory question in the 2021 census.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now