Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Linda Bellos

(22 Posts)
cinnamonwoman Sun 01-Oct-17 12:15:33

Another day, another woman silenced

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/linda-bellos-barred-in-cambridge-university-row-0pbdq5sm9

(Paywall, if someone can copy and paste please!)

Stopmakingsense Sun 01-Oct-17 12:25:37

It's ok the full text is available from your link. Well said Linda.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 02-Oct-17 10:20:55

There seems to have been surprisingly little coverage of this, less than there was for Julie Bindel. I hope that's not because we've all become used to feminists being no-platformed.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 02-Oct-17 12:47:33

Yes, well, older Black lesbians are clearly the real oppressor, now.

Fucking Cambridge, seriously?

< rolls eyes forever >

EBearhug Mon 02-Oct-17 12:53:45

It's ok the full text is available from your link.

I only get the first paragraph or so.

MillicentFawcett Mon 02-Oct-17 12:57:26

Full text:

A leading feminist has had an invitation to speak at Cambridge University withdrawn amid concerns that transgender activists could oppose her.
Linda Bellos had been invited by the Beard Society at Peterhouse College and sent a list of dates — which were withdrawn after she said she would be “publicly questioning some of the trans politics . . . which seems to assert the power of those who were previously designated male to tell lesbians, and especially lesbian feminists, what to say and think”.
Ailish Maroof, the co-president of the society, which describes itself as a “gender and feminism” group, replied: “I’m sorry but we’ve decided not to host you. I too believe in freedom of expression, however Peterhouse is as much a home as it is a college. The welfare of our students in this instance has to come first.”
The prospect of laws to let men redefine their gender without a physical transition and then gain access to changing rooms and women’s refuges has angered many.
“I’m not being told by someone who a few months ago was a man what I as a woman can or cannot do,” Bellos said. Maroof declined to comment.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 02-Oct-17 13:22:29

Well, for those women for whom Peterhouse is a home as well as a college are now shit out of luck if they expect their home to be a safe place where they can freely discuss changes in the law which will directly harm their own safety.

Ailish Maroof needs to have a good long look at herself, and on what she's doing.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 02-Oct-17 13:49:06

Yes, I think the 'welfare' argument is pretty specious. The welfare of one group of people apparently counts, the welfare of another doesn't. What sex are the ones that don't count? What sex are the ones that do? No prizes for guessing.

hackmum Mon 02-Oct-17 13:53:57

Those bloody black lesbian feminists going round oppressing white men and hurting their feelings...

Julie Bindel said something on Twitter about how a few years ago, Bellos hadn't supported her when she was no-platformed by trans activists. Interesting. I don't know what the history of that was.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 02-Oct-17 13:56:50

I can only assume privileged white men are very fragile indeed.

JessicaEccles Mon 02-Oct-17 13:58:29

What The EFFING EFF??? She is a marvellous woman who has fought a good fight for many many years.

I’m not being told by someone who a few months ago was a man what I as a woman can or cannot do,” Bellos said.

But this made me laugh a lot... I notice that it does seem to be older woman who a) are targeted and b) who no longer give a fuck.

TheWeeWitch Mon 02-Oct-17 14:00:33

I like how this is framed:

“A leading feminist has had an invitation to speak at Cambridge University withdrawn amid concerns that transgender activists could oppose her.”

It seems from the latest articles on the matter that The Times certainly has a full measure of what is going on.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 02-Oct-17 14:03:19

I was pretty horrified at this - Cambridge is meant to be one of the best universities in the world, and yet the students seem incapable of critical thought, and closed to listening to things they may not agree with.

EBearhug Mon 02-Oct-17 14:57:20

Thanks for the article.

amaliaa Mon 02-Oct-17 15:17:58

I saw a tweet that said 'Marine le Pen gets to speak at Cambridge but a black lesbian leftwing feminist gets barred'. No coincidence there.

coleridge Mon 02-Oct-17 22:10:28

Saw this on reddit - Action for Trans Health, the organisation who supported the violent action in London, are coming to Cambridge next week, invited by the Women's Campaign. Lesbian = bad, those who encourage violence against women who disagree with them = good

www.womens.cusu.cam.ac.uk/2017/09/28/termcard-release-michealmas-2017/

coleridge Mon 02-Oct-17 22:11:51

Anyone in Cambridge or studying at Cambridge who is brave enough to make their objects known?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 02-Oct-17 22:17:08

They are disgusting. Should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this.

I know the Peterhouse people who disinvited Linda Bellos will not be the same as the ones who put this together, but the fact that the Peterhouse lot were banging on about welfare while the women's campaign is inviting people whose organisation has actually called for violence against women - words fail me.
There are many feminists at Cambridge but this lot aren't.

coleridge Mon 02-Oct-17 22:20:09

*objections

TheWeeWitch Fri 06-Oct-17 11:06:48

YES!

Thank you Sister Outrider for this excellent piece and THANK YOU to The Guardian for finally engaging.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/06/feminist-linda-bellos-women-trans-male-violence

Bucketsandspoons Fri 06-Oct-17 20:49:56

Outrageous they are hosting TAFH! - who openly advocate - now what was the ridiculous phrase? 'Freeing and transformative VIOLENCE' against women who don't immediately pander and bow down to them.

They openly post hate speech, threats of violence and incite violence!

Rumandraisin1 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:14:19

@Womans_Place_UK have announced that they are hosting an event with Linda Bellos in Cambridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now